All about the Rickenbacker 4003

What's Hot
JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6053
Despite having played short scale basses exclusively for many years, I've always had a yen to get a Ric and now might the time. I know very little about them though and haven't laid hands on one for many years and then briefly. I'm not able to try one out where I'm living so it'll be a case of try and return if it doesn't suit.

My main concern is with the neck - should I go for maple or rosewood, do they have their own sound?
Is it possible to find a rosewood board that isn't lacquered? Most if not all I'm looking at appear to have a gloss neck finish on the fretboard, something I really don't like.

I'm pretty certain I'll go with the soft contoured body and dot inlays, are there any issues I should think about or look out for in making a choice? Ideally, I'd like a walnut body with rosewood unlacquered fretboard but I'm not seeing any of these around in my searches.

Is there much variation in neck shape, do certain years have slimmer necks for instance?

Any advice and or tips gratefully received.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Incoming "missile" missive, methinks.

Regular production 4003 basses have rosewood fingerboards. A maple fingerboard usually indicates a special edition instrument. (e.g. The walnut version.) Gloss varnish on the fingerboard is Rick's way. 

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4915
    I can't say I particularly notice whether the fingerboard is lacquered or not.

I think the neck itself is maple regardless of the fingerboard.

There are variances in the neck shape; I've played some which are too big and others which are nice and slim.

The "S" and "CS" versions are the round-edged ones without binding, but I can't say I have a particular preference.

As far as issues go - check it's straight (you can look along it and also just play the thing!) and whether the tailpiece has the dreaded "tail-lift" (the tension of the strings can start to pull the ehd of the tailpiece away from the body.

Also make sure that the bass is a real Ric; I've been to see one which turned out to be a copy!
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6053
    Incoming "missile" missive, methinks.

Regular production 4003 basses have rosewood fingerboards. A maple fingerboard usually indicates a special edition instrument. (e.g. The walnut version.) Gloss varnish on the fingerboard is Rick's way. 

Is that a component of the 'Ric sound' d'ya think? Also, if I can pick your brains some more, does the maple fingerboard have a gloss finish too?
  • JezWynd said:
    Gloss varnish on the fingerboard is Rick's way. 
    Is that a component of the 'Ric sound' d'ya think?
    I'm going to duck that one. Whatever answer I give, ICBM will contradict some of it.

The Ric 4000 family bass guitar isn't a sound. It's a way of life. (You'll love it.) 

I suggest that you listen carefully to the Rush album, Moving Pictures. On each composition, try to work out whether bassist Geddy Lee is using a Rick or the Fender Jazz Bass with which he later became strongly associated.
    Thanks @Funkfingers, I'll give Moving Pictures a listen. I'm not at all familiar with their stuff. Chris Squire is the bass sound I most associate with Rics, esp Fragile period.
  • Chris Squire was a unique player. 

I'm not suggesting Moving Pictures as a demonstration of the Rick bass sound. I want you to decide for yourself whether you can tell any difference between brands R and F.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited September 2017
    The trick to spotting the Ric is to listen to the sound higher up the neck; it tends to get "thicker", whereas others don't.

FYI, Moving Pictures is probably my favourite album; Vital Signs is a lot easier to play on a Jazz than a Ric.

If you want to get Geddy playing a Ric, listen to the A Farewell To Kings album.
    I think the Ric fretboards with the dots aren't lacquered over.
  • Rickenbacker 4003 remind me of Scott Pilgtim Vs The World.   I love the bass battle in that movie Mustang Competition short scale bass vs the 4003 .  Fun fact, the Ricky sound was privided by the Fender, and vice versa. 

I regret selling my CIJ Mustang bass.  They've doubled in value since I sold mine..  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72242
    All 4001 and 4003 boards are lacquered, unless someone's taken it off.

If you want the contoured body (ie no binding on the front) you want a 4001S, 4003S (neither made any more) or a reissue 4001V63 or C64 - these will usually cost more than a non-reissue model mostly due to the 'horseshoe' bridge pickup (which is expensive) and toaster neck pickup.

The S version also has dot inlays instead of triangles, and no stereo outputs, and has the normal pickups.

There was a limited edition 4003 with a walnut body and a maple fingerboard, which is maybe what you're thinking of… it came in both the bound version and the S version.

There's also the 4004C, which has a walnut body and an unlacquered maple fingerboard, but doesn't look like a classic Rick bass - no pickguard, only two knobs, and more modern pickups and bridge.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Chris Squire was a unique player. 

I'm not suggesting Moving Pictures as a demonstration of the Rick bass sound. I want you to decide for yourself whether you can tell any difference between brands R and F.
    I'm a firm believer in the player rather than the instrument makes the sound. Certain guitars/basses have a signature sound but that doesn't mean that with a bit of player and pedal magic they can't sound like something else.

ICBM said:

If you want the contoured body (ie no binding on the front) you want a 4001S, 4003S (neither made any more) or a reissue 4001V63 or C64 - these will usually cost more than a non-reissue model mostly due to the 'horseshoe' bridge pickup (which is expensive) and toaster neck pickup.
    Are you certain? The 4003S appears on Rickenbacker's web site.

http://www.rickenbacker.com/model.asp?model=4003S

It's the walnut version I'm currently considering, I like a natural wood finish. If I was able to find an old 4001, would it have a slimmer neck?

Thanks for all the info, it's very helpful.
    JezWynd said:

ICBM said:

It's the walnut version I'm currently considering, I like a natural wood finish. If I was able to find an old 4001, would it have a slimmer neck?

I think he meant the V63 & C64 models.

I (also) think the 4003S is a current model in the range (and I further think its neck isn't lacquered).
    JezWynd said:

prowla said:

I (also) think the 4003S is a current model in the range (and I further think its neck isn't lacquered).
    I did mean the S - I thought it was discontinued… but even if it's currently listed it doesn't necessarily mean you can get one :). Rickenbacker are like that - there's a 2+ year wait for some models if dealers don't have existing stock.

I'm almost certain the fingerboard will be lacquered though - it's usually only the oil-finished models which aren't.

I'm also interested to see that RIC are listing the fingerboard wood on all the models as rosewood - it always used to be bubinga. If they've changed, that would be an odd choice given the new CITES rules - although bubinga may also be covered anyway, since it is a related wood.

JezWynd said:

Yes.

Be careful with old Rickenbackers (pre-1985) though - they have the original truss rod design which is prone to being damaged by being adjusted wrongly. They're repairable, but it can be a bit of a pain. In extreme cases it can crack the fingerboard away from the neck too...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

prowla said:
    JezWynd said:

ICBM said:

Agreed, it looks like the 4003S isn't lacquered, which further complicated choosing.

Then I saw this -

4001C64. It's a 2010 model with the reverse headstock, which looks a little weird but it ticks all my boxes. Deal done. The waiting really is the hardest part (it's coming from Italy). Fingers crossed for a safe transit.
  • pauladspaulads Frets: 495
    I have a 4003s in ruby red...prior to that, I had a 4003 in jetglo which I didn't like as much as I do the "s" model. They were both great basses, very playable and I've always thought the newer ric basses are very versatile too. My mates '74 4001 is a lovely vintage bass but, personally, I think the new ones are much better.
    4001C64 arrived safely from Italy. Surprised to discover the fretboard is lacquered. Very happy with it though and I'm sure I'll adapt okay. The truss rod may require a tweak, it has a very slight back bow but I'll leave it to acclimatise for 48 hours first and restring with flats before making any changes. First long scale bass for 20+ years.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4978
    You could phone  

The Music Trading Company, 21 Lion Street, Rye, East Sussex, ​​​TN31 7LB 

01797 222966 
    I thought I saw a Ricky or two hanging on the wall when we were in Rye about two months ago.  Not sure if they were guitars or basses.....
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

JezWynd said:
    4001C64 arrived safely from Italy. Surprised to discover the fretboard is lacquered.
    I did tell you .

Glad to hear it got here safely though, that's the main thing. A scraper and some wire wool will sort out the fingerboard if you really don't like it...

Rocker said:
    You could phone
    The Music Trading Company, 21 Lion Street, Rye, East Sussex, ​​​TN31 7LB
    01797 222966
    I thought I saw a Ricky or two hanging on the wall when we were in Rye about two months ago.  Not sure if they were guitars or basses.....
    According to their website they have no basses, but three guitars - two of which are at bonkers prices! Although that may just be normal for new Ricks now, I haven't looked for a while.

ICBM said:
    JezWynd said:
    4001C64 arrived safely from Italy. Surprised to discover the fretboard is lacquered.
    I did tell you .

Glad to hear it got here safely though, that's the main thing. A scraper and some wire wool will sort out the fingerboard if you really don't like it...
    You did! I should of listened to ICBM. I'm not planning on taking any abrasives to it though. When I stated I didn't like lacquered fretboards, I was thinking mainly of some Fenders I've seen in the past; the Ric is a much lighter lacquer coat, I don't think it it will be a problem. The extra 3" on the fretboard will take some getting used to though - it's a very different instrument to the SG bass.

My main concern is adjusting the truss rod, I've never done it on a dual rod system. I've done some. reading etc, including the Ric manual (v brief) and Joey's Rickenbacker pages (much more helpful). Taking it very gradually seems to be the advice.  I assume I need to adjust both rods equally at all times (there's no twist in the neck and back bow is v slight (I'm kinda hoping taking the strings to pitch may resolve it).