New 80s Japanese bass day

What's Hot
StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5845
Hi all really happy with the one and def a keeper as I have known this bass for a long time. It's a 83 Matsumoku  aria sb 60 through  neck, 
With a Kent Armstring pickup , lots (and I mean lots) of dings scratches and chips which to me add rather than take away.
It was owned my  a friend of mine who had it for decades as his main bass, but he really wanted my jackson and roland guitar synth so we did a trade.

I can see this bass taking over as the main gig bass as it plays and sounds so good.

https://i.imgur.com/xC2GtLU.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/1Uo11NW.jpg

Anyone else got a thing for old jap crap? :D
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2744
    They looks excellent. I've always fancied one of those - quality bass!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    They're fantastic basses. I remember when they first came out being super impressed by the step up in quality of a Japanese made bass. Really nice condition too. Congrats.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks guys, yup it's a stonking bass, I'm very happy with it, I have to say it is absolutely huge tho! 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    Anyone else got a thing for old jap crap? :D
    That's absolutely not crap - it's one of the highest quality instruments to ever come out of Japan… or anywhere. I guessed what it was going to be before I opened the thread :).

I love them. I had three, in the 80s - an SB1000 in natural which was my first bass, and two SB-R60s, one just like this and one in metallic turquoise which I de-fretted. Even though the SB1000 is the big money model these days, I much prefer the R60 because of the wider string spacing and the simpler passive electrics.

I'd actually quite like another, although it would have to be a fretless since I can't see it replacing my Rick 4001 as my main bass.

I also have a nearly-matching guitar, at least in shape - the RS Standard.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• @ICBM don't worry it was in jest, I only really buy Japanese, the term jap crap has always been a joke to me! That rs standard I have just realised is what's missing! I def need to go in the hunt, it's a thing of beauty! How do you find the pickups on it? 
  • Nice bass. IMHO, the stock pickup was the only questionable feature of those instruments.

Also, relieved to see that you have finally shifted the modified Jackson guitar. ;)
    Be seeing you.
  • Nice bass. IMHO, the stock pickup was the only questionable feature of those instruments.

Also, relieved to see that you have finally shifted the modified Jackson guitar. ;)

Hahahha you and me both lol, it was a great guitar and synth, but wasn't used and with how the guitar market is and the fashion for the trad, it was never ever going to sell

Re the pickup, the Kent armstrong is such a great pickup I have been slapping and grooving on it all morning before work!

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    @ICBM don't worry it was in jest, I only really buy Japanese, the term jap crap has always been a joke to me! That rs standard I have just realised is what's missing! I def need to go in the hunt, it's a thing of beauty! How do you find the pickups on it? 
    Jap crap :D. Now replaced with a set of Bill Lawrence Keystones. I knew that before I bought it, since my original one was the same - typical cheapo low-wound slug-pole with a ceramic magnet glued to the bottom types. Both thin and muddy at the same time, which you would think is a difficult trick :).

I've also fitted a 5-way switch, which is tricky because it's the 'short frame' type and a standard CRL doesn't fit. 5-way short-frames are almost unobtainable unfortunately… I only have two, one is in the guitar and the other is not for sale! - I may one day need it.

The RS Standard is *extremely* rare by the way - it was the entry level model in the range, but doesn't seem to have been made in any significant numbers. It took me nearly twenty years to find this one.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• @ICBM well I'll take it that's a definite keeper then :D it I'd like to be ly if I ever find one I'll be getting it (
    And changing thr pickups!) 
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    That bass is Cliff Burton-tastic! :sunglasses:
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5845
    edited September 2017
    @DLM gotta got to love  a bit of cliff!