Moss's Alternative Music Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• New Mogwai is a pretty great listen. "Don't Believe The Fife" a highlight. 

https://open.spotify.com/track/1YEEG9QLHn9iSDqJWu3qCR?si=QYyb5u6S

Then there's the latest track from my most awaited album of the year; Limestone by Kauf. 

https://open.spotify.com/track/6qSLypToYm6qOVhhN6vtZn?si=TUbKlkXe
    Didn't know they had a new album out.  

Great to see Dave Friedmann is back.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Currently enjoying the S/T album by Orion (from Sydney), released towards the beginning of this year.  There's no hiding their influences, but really good stuff nonetheless.

New fangled trading feedback link right here!
  • ewalewal Frets: 2558
    New Mogwai is a pretty great listen. "Don't Believe The Fife" a highlight. 

Then there's the latest track from my most awaited album of the year; Limestone by Kauf. 

A couple of listens in to the Mogwai album. I think there's a very obvious side 1 and 2, and side 2, the more guitar based tunes is where it's happening. 
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    ewal said:

A couple of listens in to the Mogwai album. I think there's a very obvious side 1 and 2, and side 2, the more guitar based tunes is where it's happening. 
    I definitely agree there - there's some strong stuff but the more ambient tunes lack originality
    Stop crying, start buying
  • Anymore recommendations for me? Over the lot of weeks I've bought:

Alcest - Kodma 
    The War on Drugs - A Deeper Understanding
    Pallbearer - Foundations of Burden
    Planning for Burial - Below the House
    The Devil and the Almighty Blues - II
    Mastodon - Once More Round the Sun
    Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats
    Elder - Reflections of a floating world
    Slowdive - Slowdive

Only one of those albums I don't like is The Devil and the Almighty Blues.  The rest are good.  My favourites are Alcest, The War on Drugs, Planning for Burial, Slowdive, and Elder.
    Moss said:
    ewal said:

I definitely agree there - there's some strong stuff but the more ambient tunes lack originality
    Battered At A Scramble - great song title ( I used to be scared of scrambles when I was a boy), and perhaps the closest Mogwai have ever been to basic rock wigout. I like it. Although think the album title track is my favourite.
    The new National album is stunningly good
  • Anymore recommendations for me? Over the lot of weeks I've bought:

Alcest - Kodma 
    The War on Drugs - A Deeper Understanding
    Pallbearer - Foundations of Burden
    Planning for Burial - Below the House
    The Devil and the Almighty Blues - II
    Mastodon - Once More Round the Sun
    Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats
    Elder - Reflections of a floating world
    Slowdive - Slowdive

Only one of those albums I don't like is The Devil and the Almighty Blues.  The rest are good.  My favourites are Alcest, The War on Drugs, Planning for Burial, Slowdive, and Elder.
    Give the Pallbearer album some time it's a grower for sure and it's one of my favourite albums over the last 5 years or so. 
  • Moss said:
    You think? By their own high standards it's a 6.5 / 10 for me. Really beige. Instrumentation is quite interesting and expansive, but the songs themselves with one or two exceptions are pretty forgettable and MOR. I'm a huge fan of The National and am pretty disappointed by it. 
    Moss said:
    You think? By their own high standards it's a 6.5 / 10 for me. Really beige. Instrumentation is quite interesting and expansive, but the songs themselves with one or two exceptions are pretty forgettable and MOR. I'm a huge fan of The National and am pretty disappointed by it. 
    For me the records never quite captured the live act I always loved

This for me is the closest it's got to recreating that 'magic'
  • ewal said:
    Moss said:
    ewal said:

Battered At A Scramble - great song title ( I used to be scared of scrambles when I was a boy), and perhaps the closest Mogwai have ever been to basic rock wigout. I like it. Although think the album title track is my favourite.

Saw them last night at Festival Number 6. Totally outstanding  set, epic. The new songs sounded great live. They've come a long way since I last saw them in a tiny Liverpool club 20 odd years ago.  
  • The new Mogwai didn't grab me at first but it's definitely a grower. Some great stuff on it. 

That said, they're going to have to do something different at somepoint---it's hardly groundbreaking stuff. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    TTBZ said:8
    Jamie Lenman - outstanding. I'd heard Reuben but not much else of his. 
    Jamie Lenman is a bloody genius. Massive Reuben fan here, but his first solo effort, Muscle/Memory is great. Disc 1 (Muscle) is heavier than anything Reuben ever did, with barely a word that isn't screamed and some killer riffs. Disc 2 (Memory) is riddled with acoustic guitars, banjos, beautiful harmonies and even dabbles with big band jazz, and is some of the most gorgeous and heartfelt songwriting I've head in ages. Two very different sides to the same guy. 

I believe his new album is a lot more electronic, which is a direction I've never heard him take before, but should be interesting! Anything he does is worth a listen.
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 971
    Moss said:
    Cheers for reminding me that I need to give it a full listen.  Listened to the first 3 songs on Friday & it seemed good.
    New Liima track bodes well for the album (although nothing would please me more than an Efterklang reunion involving Thomas)

• Heard the new Horrors single? So good! 

Heard the new Horrors single? So good! 

I'm excited about the new direction - the most interesting stuff since Strange House (however much I like some of Primary Colours)
  • Some albums that I've downloaded recently that may be considered  'alternative' (I leave my reggae and dub stuff out) - 

Yak - Alas starvation 
    Sunflower Bean - Human Ceremony 
    DIIV - Is the is are
    Andy Shauff - The party
    LCD Sound system - America dream
    Kate Tempest - Let them eat chaos 

And the utterly amazing 

One Dove - Morning Dove White

I am sure that many of this stuff is old hat but this is what I've bought over the last couple of weeks (excluding the righteous reggae, dub and soul jazz reissues I always buy!) 

Some albums that I've downloaded recently that may be considered  'alternative' (I leave my reggae and dub stuff out) - 

Yak - Alas starvation 
    Sunflower Bean - Human Ceremony 
    DIIV - Is the is are
    Andy Shauff - The party
    LCD Sound system - America dream
    Kate Tempest - Let them eat chaos 

And the utterly amazing 

One Dove - Morning Dove White

I am sure that many of this stuff is old hat but this is what I've bought over the last couple of weeks (excluding the righteous reggae, dub and soul jazz reissues I always buy!) 

Lots of great stuff there - Kate Tempest was my album of the year last year and it's looking like LCD will be this year's for me

Good to see Sunflower Bean and Yak getting some love too