'Oily Towers' ... all the latest from Oil City Pickups

What's Hot
1192021222325»

Comments

• @TheGuitarWeasel ;

Considering a new pickup for my shortscale mustang. Thinking about a bridge pickup to do the whole alternative rock/grungey/punky thing (sonic youth, Nirvana, Dinosaur Jr) but if it cleans up too that's a bonus. 

What would you recommend? Bridge position, humbucker sized, needs to be uncovered to fit. Oh, and the body of these guitars is super thin so there's not a lot of depth to play with. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 9982
    tFB Trader
    Well I now do zero depth baseplates ... no leg crank at all, but I would have thought short leg would be fine. My first thought is a Black Arrow, that's basically similar in output to a JB, but with out the annoying upper midrange scratchiness. It also cleans up much better. I also do my Dirty Secret in the Masterwound range which is like the early JB before the formula was changed.
    PM me or give me a bell :-) 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks. I need to decide if I'm willing to spend as much on parts as the guitar cost and then I'll get back to you :-D

I can't see the Dirty Secret on your website - am I doing something wrong? 
    tFB Trader
    When I did the site upgrade that got left off the list by accident ... I have to do a page for it ... but the spec is here: http://www.felineguitars.com/upgrades/pickups/OCP_MW.html
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• @TheGuitarWeasel you have a PM. Hope you can translate my witterings into pickups...
  • Ash - was going to ask via PM but figure other people might be interested too.

On the Havocs, I'm trying to decide whether to go for two push-pull pots or just one: i.e. whether to only be splitting both at once or whether to have separate splits. 

in other words, do they balance well with just one of them split?

Thanks 
    edited September 2017 tFB Trader
    Havocs split particularly well because of the taller than standard bobbins ... it's still good to use a split resistor,  
    :-) 

• Cool, two taps it is! 
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3049
    Ash - which bridge humbucker would you say matches best with Stone Tones in a HSS (alder body and maple/maple neck) setup? I was thinking of maybe an A2 Nightfighter but thought I'd see if there was anything else you'd recommend.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• JeremiahJeremiah Frets: 629
    @TheGuitarWeasel are you still making the Brass Knuckle humbuckers? I can't see them on the website.
    tFB Trader
    Jeremiah said:
    @TheGuitarWeasel are you still making the Brass Knuckle humbuckers? I can't see them on the website.
    Making them to special order :-) PM me

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9551
    Hi Ash, thinking of either an Alligator 90 or Kayman 90 for a possible Esquire project in the new year. Are you able to give some info on the differences between the two please? Is the Kayman essentially a warmer-sounding Alligator or is the difference more than that? 

Thanks.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    tFB Trader
    HAL9000 said:
    Hi Ash, thinking of either an Alligator 90 or Kayman 90 for a possible Esquire project in the new year. Are you able to give some info on the differences between the two please? Is the Kayman essentially a warmer-sounding Alligator or is the difference more than that? 

Thanks.
    Essentially a warmer and fractionally less powerful Alligator

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9551
    HAL9000 said:

Thanks.
    Thanks Ash, Alligator ordered.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    tFB Trader
    HAL9000 said:
    HAL9000 said:

Thanks.
    HAL9000 said:
    HAL9000 said:

Thanks.
    Cool ... I'll get that out to you tomorrow

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2356
    Hi Ash,
    Loved your HB-sized P90s in my SG, now thinking of changing my telecaster pickups.

It's an ash body with maple neck 52 style but with a mini-hum in the neck position. I'm looking for something that can do the classic tele twang particularly in the middle position, with just enough snarl in the bridge to play more modern rock on but not so compressed it loses the vintage tele vibe, and then something to go well with it in the neck (I find the low E/A a bit woolly in the neck mini-hum at present, particularly the E)
    What would you suggest?
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    Hi Ash, can you do me a custom Tele loom for a neck humbucker and fortyniner in the bridge? Push/pull pot for humbucker split on the tone pot. 

Cheers!
    tFB Trader
    rico said:
    Hi Ash, can you do me a custom Tele loom for a neck humbucker and fortyniner in the bridge? Push/pull pot for humbucker split on the tone pot. 

Cheers!
    Of course :-) 
    PM me

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom