Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Northampton Jam Session - Sunday 3rd December - 1 to 5pm

What's Hot

Comments

• I'd *tentatively* like to have a go at singing. Experience is limited to in the car or bath but would like to give it a go. 
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    mrkb said:
    We can change tuning if needed- it's not going to be as slick as the Leicester one, so if everyone needs to tune down it won't be a problem. I'm busy tonight but will summarise where we are tomorrow. Have put adampeter in the backup list.
    Leicester was slick? Oooooh.

TADodger said:
    Alnico said:
    TADodger said:
    I'm wondering about some Green day songs, relatively straightforward chords but with some variety, and not so widdely solo's. Could be some acoustic songs in there too.
    Please please please please please please please please please please please please please let me do basket case??????
    Huh???
    Please? ??

Let me be a kid again?
    Rhythm guitar and some rather heartfelt vocals. 
    @Bridgehouse will vouch for me. 
    I can nail that one.
    It is the singing part of most Green Day songs that worries me......... so be my guest
    I can nail the vocal.
    If we can tune down to Eb for that then yeah great I'd love to do that.
  • I'd *tentatively* like to have a go at singing. Experience is limited to in the car or bath but would like to give it a go. 
    It worked out great for me... or it would have done if id printed out the sodding lyrics.

Top tip - don't forget to do that...
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    It worked out great for me... or it would have done if id printed out the sodding lyrics.

My "top tip" as someone who performs regularly is to _not_ do that but instead memorise the lyrics. You really need to be able to sing the song more or less on auto-pilot. With any luck that will free up enough brain cells so that you don't totally mess up the guitar side of things.
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    The way I do it is to remember the page I see as an image, not try to memorise the words from thin air so I revert back to the Snapshot in my mind to almost *see* as it were, what comes next.

Some songs become ingrained and I don't need them but if I'm learning something new or that I'm not familiar with, that's the technique I use.
  • Plectrum said:
    I'd *tentatively* like to have a go at singing. Experience is limited to in the car or bath but would like to give it a go. 

My "top tip" as someone who performs regularly is to _not_ do that but instead memorise the lyrics. You really need to be able to sing the song more or less on auto-pilot. With any luck that will free up enough brain cells so that you don't totally mess up the guitar side of things.
    Well yes, sorry, its funnier in context.  At the jam on Saturday I didn't have time to learn lyrics for songs before the day because of work sh*te, and I forgot to print them out so I could learn them on the day.

You live and learn, but of course you are right, learning and practice makes perfect in all things.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2082
    I believe some simple stuff done well is much more pleasing than more complex stuff played average....Ind been in rooms plenty of times with a number of people playing acoustics with no structure ...it's not nice.

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Alnico said:
    mrkb said:
    We can change tuning if needed- it's not going to be as slick as the Leicester one, so if everyone needs to tune down it won't be a problem. I'm busy tonight but will summarise where we are tomorrow. Have put adampeter in the backup list.
    Leicester was slick? Oooooh.

TADodger said:
    Alnico said:
    TADodger said:
    I'm wondering about some Green day songs, relatively straightforward chords but with some variety, and not so widdely solo's. Could be some acoustic songs in there too.
    Please please please please please please please please please please please please please let me do basket case??????
    Huh???
    Please? ??

Let me be a kid again?
    Rhythm guitar and some rather heartfelt vocals. 
    @Bridgehouse will vouch for me. 
    I can nail that one.
    It is the singing part of most Green Day songs that worries me......... so be my guest
    I can nail the vocal.
    If we can tune down to Eb for that then yeah great I'd love to do that.
    i'll start practicing then.....
    @TADodger

Would you like to follow it with 'Ever Fallen in Love' by Buzzcocks?

I can very easily and VERY happily cover vocals and rhythm guitar for that.
    I'm actually buzzing thinking about it right now. I've done that one many times and Pretty Vacant but *this* one is an absolutely brilliant song to do at a Jam anywhere and I learned to get up and perform this one years ago.

I'll revise if you or anyone else wants to take this song with me?
    Another sordid part of my past..........

I can play and sing Nellie The Elephant if anyone's interested?

It's a bit of an 'Everyone join in singing' in some parts and it's tons of fun.
  • @ Alnico - happy to, I think that we could get a few guitars involved in both.
  • PabloPablo Frets: 38
    Anyone want to give "Since you've been gone" a go?
  • Have I missed it or have we got a set list?
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

Alnico said:
    @TADodger

I'm actually buzzing thinking about it right now. I've done that one many times and Pretty Vacant but *this* one is an absolutely brilliant song to do at a Jam anywhere and I learned to get up and perform this one years ago.

Yep...Im up for guitar on that....

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6768
    Have I missed it or have we got a set list?

Im compiling one from the suggestions in this thread - think we'll have 3 x 30 min 'song' sets and 3 x 30 min 'jam sets' so can do 12ish formal songs. Im happy for you to choose them as long as we can fill the Drum/bass/Guitar/vocals slots. Will put a compilation list together tomorrow.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    TADodger said:
    @ Alnico - happy to, I think that we could get a few guitars involved in both.

spark240 said:
    Alnico said:
    @TADodger

Us 3 on that track then?
    I'll do the lead vocal if you two or two others can do backing (It's not hard).

Nice one.

That song needs a confident drummer.
  • aord43aord43 Frets: 287
    I've really no idea at the moment what song(s) I want to do. I am still thinking of suggestions, or I will choose from the agreed list. 
  • aord43aord43 Frets: 287
    Down on the Corner by Creedence Clearwater Revival is a nice easy one and fun.  Simple riff and the chords are just C/F/G (it's not a 12-bar blues though).  I played a little of it in the practice room at Leicester.
    There may well be some other CCR songs that would be good.
    Alnico said:
    TADodger said:

spark240 said:
    Alnico said:
    @TADodger

Us 3 on that track then?

Nice one.

Yes....am I doing chords or the riff bit?...dont mind either..

Practice to this.....https://www.guitarbackingtrack.com/play/buzzcocks/ever_fallen_in_love.htm

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    spark240 said:
    Alnico said:
    TADodger said:

spark240 said:
    Alnico said:
    @TADodger

Us 3 on that track then?

Nice one.

Yes....am I doing chords or the riff bit?...dont mind either..

Practice to this.....https://www.guitarbackingtrack.com/play/buzzcocks/ever_fallen_in_love.htm
    If I'm singing it I'd rather have the chords/power chords and the easy stuff to bang away at.
    I can do that with my eyes shut.
    Could you and @TADodger take the riffs and lead?
    It'll sound huge with 3 guitars.