Absolutely fucking livid........

What's Hot

Comments

• IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6887
    edited August 2017
    Glad you are ok. It's annoyong still though.

Really pleased to hear you are playing a straight bat.

To all the cunts that recommended you fabricate injuries - I don't think you were joking - I bet you lot are also the first to moan that insurance premiums are sky high.

I wonder why?
    Previously known as stevebrum
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    Iamnobody said:
    Glad you are ok. It's annoyong still though.

Really pleased to hear you are playing a straight bat.

To all the cunts that recommended you fabricate injuries - I don't think you were joking - I bet you lot are also the first to moan that insurance premiums are sky high.

I wonder why?
    I'm one of those cunts. And I was joking.
    It was an oblique reference to the 'sick on holiday claim' thread which is symptomatic of the claim culture that we imported from 'Murica so successfully that you can't move for health & safety directives.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4302
    I know where there's a Ford Ka going for £1,500. Head gasket might be fucked, though.
    Ahh right......now how might I get a full size door in that I wonder..... Thats what was so good about the Galaxy, bloody huge with all the seats out...
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Sucks man.  But as everyone has said, i'm glad you are ok.

Still, sucks sucks sucks.
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8820
    tFB Trader
    Glad you're okay pal. If you're a family man and self employed then your health is more important than a car (although it's still a shit scenario).

If you want to keep working and get a whiplash claim I think @monkey42 has the email address of a top notch solicitor :)
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9446
    Hywel,

Sorry to hear that mate... you are fine and thats the main thing 
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2403
    Sounds like a rough ordeal. To echo other's sentiments, glad you're in one piece and escaped injury. I guess it's an opportunity to primal scream if nothing else. 
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26458
    hywelg said:
    Fretwired said:
    Get signed off work
    Fat chance, I'm self employed. And no whiplash, I'm not playing that fraudulent game.

Good for you.

Don't play that bullshit game.

Glad you are OK. Hope the insurance is more than you expect.
    It's not so much a bullshit game as you think. The money is set aside for injuries on all claims by the insurance companies - if you don't claim, it goes into their slush fund (ie not to make policies cheaper).

At least, that's what I've been told. Even without that, I've made a claim recently based on whiplash purely because all of my back problems were caused by an accident and my solicitor fucked it up, so I got nothing at the time for a lifetime of pain; getting a bit back feels a bit like justice.

Anyway...glad you're OK at least, @hywelg - good luck with the insurers.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Update. New car purchased, VW Caddy Maxi Life from AShford in Kent. Way more than I wanted to spend but didn't have much option, didn't really want a van, didn't want a car with fold down seats (too many nooks and crannies to get dust and dirt in, then very difficult to clean with a vac) preferred removable seats, wanted a petrol but absolutely none about so had to get Euro6 diesel and they are still very new and expensive. Bought it sight unseen, but of course I had seen and driven the same model. Seller is a VW main dealer and it still has nearly 2 years manufacturers warranty left. They also offered to deliver F.O.C (I, know, its not free, I could have haggled them down if I'd collected), which was very convenient.

My insurers settled , allowing me £2k for my car which was better than expected, no excess, they will claim it form third party. I thought I'd get about £500, but then they hadn't seen the state it was in, Ha ha!!!.

I'm now in the process of trying to claim uninsured losses from the third party. They have admitted liability so no worries there, but attempting to put a value on my time and then backing it up is very difficult if you're self employed. I reckon £25 an hour for a skilled craftsman is very conservative but no doubt they will think differently. AS it happens I can prove we have a massive amount of work in progress so the loss of 2½ days of my time (could have been a lot more if I'd got the train to Kent to view the car before buying it) has a direct relationship to earnings. I am also claiming for loss of half a tank full of fuel in the old car and new roof rack bars as this car is narrower and mine dont fit. We'll see what happens......
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I've just started a new job where I'm commuting about 50 miles by car per day.  In the last couple of weeks alone I've had about 3 or 4 near misses where someone has done something completely bat shit crazy. I've not had a single accident in over 20 years of driving. What happened to driving standards?
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16012
    hywelg said:
    Update. New car purchased, VW Caddy Maxi Life from AShford in Kent. Way more than I wanted to spend but didn't have much option, didn't really want a van, didn't want a car with fold down seats (too many nooks and crannies to get dust and dirt in, then very difficult to clean with a vac) preferred removable seats, wanted a petrol but absolutely none about so had to get Euro6 diesel and they are still very new and expensive. Bought it sight unseen, but of course I had seen and driven the same model. Seller is a VW main dealer and it still has nearly 2 years manufacturers warranty left. They also offered to deliver F.O.C (I, know, its not free, I could have haggled them down if I'd collected), which was very convenient.

My insurers settled , allowing me £2k for my car which was better than expected, no excess, they will claim it form third party. I thought I'd get about £500, but then they hadn't seen the state it was in, Ha ha!!!.

I'm now in the process of trying to claim uninsured losses from the third party. They have admitted liability so no worries there, but attempting to put a value on my time and then backing it up is very difficult if you're self employed. I reckon £25 an hour for a skilled craftsman is very conservative but no doubt they will think differently. AS it happens I can prove we have a massive amount of work in progress so the loss of 2½ days of my time (could have been a lot more if I'd got the train to Kent to view the car before buying it) has a direct relationship to earnings. I am also claiming for loss of half a tank full of fuel in the old car and new roof rack bars as this car is narrower and mine dont fit. We'll see what happens......
    That was a good payout -you see ; The good Lord moves in mysterious ways !
    I respect your integrity for simply claiming your real losses and not that awful Americanised vexatious nonsense but no doubt you will be plagued for years to come by telesales from some 3rd World sweatshop call center urging you to claim for all kinds of ailments
  • I had a car smash last year and tried to claim sexual dysfunction. 

Turns out that your partner turning you down isn't grounds for a claim. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    Looking at the Scrappage Scheme, I couldn't find anything about "write-offs" not being included and came across this website:

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=703046

Interesting as it would seem that there are various categories of "write-off" and some of those qualify for the Scheme provided they undergo a VIC Test (costs @£50). Some clearly don't.

Anyway, I'm glad that you're now sorted and compensated.

• hywelg said:
    Fretwired said:
    Get signed off work
    Fat chance, I'm self employed. And no whiplash, I'm not playing that fraudulent game.
    Whilst I do understand your feelings about claiming when not necessary, I would claim. Firstly, your insurance premium has risen as a consequence of claims by others and you have been paying for their claims and, secondly, as whiplash has a delayed effect. I had a rear ending on the Gabalfa roundabout in Cardiff about twenty years ago and have been feeling the effects ever since. 

Because you have been involved ion a prang, your premium will increase anyway so you may as well get as much you can. This will help finance a new car.  

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Wolfetone said:
    hywelg said:
    Fretwired said:
    Get signed off work
    Whilst I do understand your feelings about claiming when not necessary, I would claim. Firstly, your insurance premium has risen as a consequence of claims by others and you have been paying for their claims and, secondly, as whiplash has a delayed effect. I had a rear ending on the Gabalfa roundabout in Cardiff about twenty years ago and have been feeling the effects ever since. 

Because you have been involved ion a prang, your premium will increase anyway so you may as well get as much you can. This will help finance a new car.  

I'm fairly certain that claiming to be injured because it might turn out you are injured in 20 years time could be considered a bit dishonest?
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
    We will never overcome the blame and claim culture by indulging in it ourselves. I personally think it is abhorrent and the penalties for false claims should be very much stiffer than they are now. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
    Kebabkid said:
    Looking at the Scrappage Scheme, I couldn't find anything about "write-offs" not being included and came across this website:

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=703046

Interesting as it would seem that there are various categories of "write-off" and some of those qualify for the Scheme provided they undergo a VIC Test (costs @£50). Some clearly don't.

Anyway, I'm glad that you're now sorted and compensated.

The last scrappage scheme was a con. Basically main dealers entrapping gullible buyers who couldn't be arsed to shop around. The main dealers were just giving up some of their profit margin, most of which you would have got.anyway if you'd haggled hard with no trade in.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    Sorry to hijack your thread, but some idiot just did this to me as well - nowhere near as bad, it's just two doors and a dent in the sill, but I'll take a bet that it's a write-off - it's a 2005 Renault Grand Scenic with about 140K on it. A real shame since it's been a great car, and although obviously near the end of its life I was hoping to get a couple more years out of it.

Despite the other driver coming out of a side road and me on the main road, and me going almost fully onto the wrong side of the road in an attempt to avoid the collision and he *still* didn't stop in time, he claimed it was my fault... actually what happened was that he didn't see me because I was following a minibus and he wasn't paying attention.

So I assume I will be looking for a new car, although I haven't actually made the call yet. Petrol MPVs are a bit thin on the ground though. Couldn't really have come at a worse time either, since we'd just bought a new one for my wife only a few months ago.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CarewCarew Frets: 9
    edited January 2018
    Ford Galaxy.  lol.

it could've been worse.
    pedal fiend
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4700
    ICBM said:
    Sorry to hijack your thread, but some idiot just did this to me as well - nowhere near as bad, it's just two doors and a dent in the sill, but I'll take a bet that it's a write-off - it's a 2005 Renault Grand Scenic with about 140K on it. A real shame since it's been a great car, and although obviously near the end of its life I was hoping to get a couple more years out of it.

Despite the other driver coming out of a side road and me on the main road, and me going almost fully onto the wrong side of the road in an attempt to avoid the collision and he *still* didn't stop in time, he claimed it was my fault... actually what happened was that he didn't see me because I was following a minibus and he wasn't paying attention.

So I assume I will be looking for a new car, although I haven't actually made the call yet. Petrol MPVs are a bit thin on the ground though. Couldn't really have come at a worse time either, since we'd just bought a new one for my wife only a few months ago.
    Sorry to hear that mate but I'm glad you're okay at least, hope the insurers are okay with you.

Is it repairable and if so can you buy it back from the insurers under the write off procedures. Might save you some money if the chassis isn't bent and the sill can be repaired.

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.