Eric Clapton: Life in 12 Bars

What's Hot

Comments

• I'll be seeing that movie, he has been an influence on me since I first picked up a guitar.  Just as I was starting to be able to play a few chords "Sunshine of Your Love" hit the airwaves and motivated me something fierce.   Then a few years later "Layla" came on the radio and did it again.   He stands alongside a long list of greats that made me keep wanting to play. 

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Getting into Cream and the Bluesbreakers records fuelled my obsessive practice years. I was completely besotted with his playing - leading me through his influences and contemporaries too. 

"A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Absolutely cannot wait to see this. My all time favourite guitar player....
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9551
    Thanks for the heads up. Didn't know about this before - is this a movie for cinema? Or one of the TV networks?
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Ooooo, that looks good. 
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    HAL9000 said:
    Thanks for the heads up. Didn't know about this before - is this a movie for cinema? Or one of the TV networks?
    As it's got a Showtime banner in the top right, I would imagine it will be on Netflix here. Maybe Sky Arts might buy it and show it.
    I would love a DVD release!!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    Was one of them the snug bar at the Kings head?

• Awesome! Love a bit of EC
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6597
    edited September 2017
    How "documentary" will it be? Will it mention this? I know we all try to ignore politics when it comes to Music....but can we?
    I'm really not meaning to troll here, but I am interested in how people see this....

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • It doesn't seem to say anything new or revealing, but the footage looks good.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9551
    merlin said:
    How "documentary" will it be? Will it mention this? I know we all try to ignore politics when it comes to Music....but can we?
    I'm really not meaning to troll here, but I am interested in how people see this....

As much as I'm a bit of a fanboy, I feel that this particularly nasty episode is glossed over or ignored far too often. As far as I'm aware he has never apologised for his remarks (and has had ample opportunity). I guess the fact that over the years he has played with numerous black musicians means he must have apologised or, at least, explained himself to them. 
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    surely this has been mis qouted? Shouldn't it read: Eric Clapton - Life in more than 12 Bars (but I can't remember them all)
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • RoxRox Frets: 2147
    What a liar.  He's been in more bars than that!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    HAL9000 said:
    merlin said:

As much as I'm a bit of a fanboy, I feel that this particularly nasty episode is glossed over or ignored far too often. As far as I'm aware he has never apologised for his remarks (and has had ample opportunity). I guess the fact that over the years he has played with numerous black musicians means he must have apologised or, at least, explained himself to them. 
    Maybe, as they actually know the man, he doesn't need to. We all talk shit when in drugs or drink, does he have to explain himself to everyone for every mistake; he grew up in a very different world. It's not 'glossed over or ignored', there's always someone happy to bring it up. Can't we just let it go...
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • It's not glossed over or ignored on here.....gets brought up in pretty much every Clapton discussion!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • It's not glossed over or ignored on here.....gets brought up in pretty much every Clapton discussion!
    It's fairly shocking if it's new to you but put in the context of his life and work and, to some extent, of the times when it was said, I'm happy to come to terms with it. Although certainly there are people who won't ever forgive him and that's fine too, I'm not saying the Nazis were okay because they got the trains running although I'm not sure a drug fueled outburst from 1976 is quite that. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • aord43aord43 Frets: 287
    I wasn't aware of this controversy. The image posted is not a link (due to the known forum issue I guess) but judging by the summary on his Wikipedia page it doesn't seem completely resolved because of his later remarks.  Slightly uncomfortable given the respect I have for the guy musically.  Although even in the trailer for the OP movie, in the section about drink and drugs he said he "was full of hatred and anger".  I will content myself to say he was wrong and leave it at that for now.
    Meanwhile I will look up that film.
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    Yeah. I tend to view it the way that I view the comments Elvis Costello made about James Brown and Ray Charles. If someone were to publish everything I have ever said while I was off my face, I'd be sued, jailed, lynched, shot and probably fired out of a cannon, directly at the sun. 
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    edited September 2017
    JDE said:
    Yeah. I tend to view it the way that I view the comments Elvis Costello made about James Brown and Ray Charles. If someone were to publish everything I have ever said while I was off my face, I'd be sued, jailed, lynched, shot and probably fired out of a cannon, directly at the sun. 
    Just looked up the Elvis Costello story - I wasn't aware of it previously.

I entirely agree with you - there are many things I've said when drunk that I regret. Happily as a complete non-entity they never get quoted back at me in media or on-line. In my experience few people have lead entirely blameless lives....