Phil Jones Bass Double Four

JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
Anyone tried one these little combos? I'm looking for a small practice setup but I want to have a decent sound. My ideal is a B15 into a 15" but my present living situation means that's not really feasible so I'm looking for something that can give me that depth and richness of sound but in a smaller, lighter package (aren't we all).

The Phil Jones line seem ideal but anytime I hear any of the clips I come away unimpressed. Laptop speakers aren't the best judge, so if anyone has first hand experience I'd love to hear it.

My first idea was the Ampeg PF-20T head with 1x15 fliptop cab but it's simply not practical atm,

Also suggestions for anything else that might do the job very welcome, I'm open to combos, head and small cab, whatever. Thanks.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1473
    I tried one at a show, but have never used one where I could really mess with it.  I was pretty impressed though with how it sounded and the tones you could get from it.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    PhilKing said:
    I tried one at a show, but have never used one where I could really mess with it.  I was pretty impressed though with how it sounded and the tones you could get from it.
    Having plugged in a decent speaker I can get a better impression of it. It does seem very faithful to the source instrument -

This is one of the better demos I've found. It is just a practice amp but he gets some nice tones from it.
  • fftcfftc Frets: 559
    Tone Hammer 350 and Barefaced One10 if you've got the cash.
    fftc said:
    Tone Hammer 350 and Barefaced One10 if you've got the cash.
    The Barefaced One10 looks very nice, just the sort of thing I'm looking for. Thanks for the heads up.
  • fftcfftc Frets: 559
    It really is tiny! Much smaller than the Ampeg BA110 combo I also have, yet it can seriously rattle the house, and that's just with a Little Mark Blackline.
    30 day return policy is seriously confidence inspiring as well. Who else offers that?
  • tc electronic Staccato '51 into RS210 cabinet.
    Be seeing you.
    Up until now I've been playing bass through a little Cub10 and with its 2 x 6v6 and 12ax7 it delivered a lovely tone but it was starting to buzz on the E and A strings even at v low volumes.

So I decided to go with the Phil Jones Double Four, mainly due to its practicality (I'm between houses atm, staying with a friend - they prob wouldn't be v happy if I bring in a 1x15). It takes a bit of getting used to, can sound boomy, but easily cured by putting it in a different location, pref backed up near a wall. The small speakers are a little clinical sounding but the manual says they'll improve with use (and clinical isn't a bad thing if you're putting a good instrument into it - it really does deliver the source sound). Not very loud but ideal for hanging with an acoustic band and it's very lightweight and easy to stash away when not in use.

I'll definitely bookmark the Barefaced cab for the future, possibly marry it up with the cub10 as a head.