If I buy a Roland SPD-SX Sampling Pad can I control EZDrummer with it?

I saw a video of a guy using this (video below) and it sounded good to my ears. I'm not a drummer, so am not beholden to the acoustic sound and need something easy for my man cave.

As well as the onboard sounds, it'd be nice to be able to trigger EZDrummer with this, is it doable?

Are there any better options out there for me and what are you guys experiences? Many thanks

Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5845
    edited September 2017
    That's a huge investment for a trigger pad which usually are not that much.
    The spd etc would be  better used by converting your ezdrummer samples to wav and importing  them to the spd. 
  • Yeah, I'd use the onboard sounds a lot, I'd imagine. But yes, never thought of just importing the EZDrummer sounds into the unit itself, that's a good point. Thanks :-)
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14320
    it'd be nice to be able to trigger EZDrummer with this, is it doable?
    Yes. Create an SPD-X User memory "patch" in which the MIDI Note Number assigned to each trigger surface or pedal matches the default MIDI Note Number settings for EZ Drummer.

Typically, the Roland/General MIDI Map places the Bass Drum on note 35 and 36. Snare on 38 and 40. If EZ Drummer offers this option, try it.

In the longer term, it would probably be easier to leave the EZ Drummer software MIDI Note assignments standard and edit the SPD-X to comply rather than the other way about.
    Be seeing you.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10356
    I used to use one to control Kontakt Player ... you can map the pads to any drum in the VI

The older cheaper SPD will do the job just as well
    www.2020studios.co.uk