Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Northampton Jam Session - Sunday 3rd December - 1 to 5pm

What's Hot

Comments

• aord43aord43 Frets: 287
    Yeah I don't think we're planning to reproduce the records as such!
    Rockin' all over the world is a great feel-good song.  I remember them doing it at Knebworth about <mumble> years ago. (1990 actually). The festival ended in style with David Gilmore standing on the edge of the stage playing in the rain.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • How about "Champagne Supernova" by Oasis?

Several advantages of it...

1.  It is quite easy to play.
    2.  It has about ten tracks of guitar on it for most of it's length, so you can get away with three or even four guitars.
    3.  The solo provides great opportunities for people to do a bit of pentatonic jamming.

Just a thought, it's gone a bit quiet in here and thought I'd jump in!

Also - if we are tuning down a semitone for "Basket Case" - how about a Suede track?  I can't think of any that are easy to play well unfortunately though...
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    'Take me out' isn't an easy song to pull off in a Jam.
    That stompy feel it's got isn't easy to replicate and there's a lot going on in that song.

It also needs singing with a ton of theatrics in the vocal or it'll just sound like an X Factor Fail.

Not trying to knock the song, as it goes it's not a bad song but it's not one I'd attempt unrehearsed with a thrown together Jam session band.

'Champagne Supernova' isn't a bad song to try.
    Good points made about it too Ed.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12645
    edited September 2017
    I'd be up for Champagne Supernova, great chords for wigging out over - I'd even volunteer to sing it if needed... been a while since I have and all that, but...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

Also - if we are tuning down a semitone for "Basket Case" - how about a Suede track?  I can't think of any that are easy to play well unfortunately though...
    I don't think all the Suede stuff was down a semitone in the early days. This is pretty simple to play, as Bernie will show you:

Oh and @Alnico - do you want me to the DG vocals on Comfy?

impmann said:
    Oh and @Alnico - do you want me to the DG vocals on Comfy?
    Yes please. 
    That would be great.
    Thanks Tim. 
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6090
    tFB Trader
    Guys I live 20 miles away, anyone interested in me bringing a pedalboard for people to try... also I have a prototype amplifier I'd like some feedback (pun intended) on. would anyone be interested in me popping along?
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    ThorpyFX said:
    Guys I live 20 miles away, anyone interested in me bringing a pedalboard for people to try... also I have a prototype amplifier I'd like some feedback (pun intended) on. would anyone be interested in me popping along?
    Substitute "Anyone" for "Everyone".

That sounds awesome. 
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6637

Quick Update

Attendees - think we can cope with this many - assume they're will be a few drop outs before the event.

Can people confirm what they play/ will bring equipment wise. We have two rooms:-

Carter room - 33m^2 - main song room

Blackstar room 26 m^2 - quieter stuff

Song List - I think proposals will get confirmed when we have a singer and drummer sorted for each (I need a singer and drummer for my two proposed songs!!). Otherwise on the possible list until we get those signed up, may have missed a few - its difficult to tell if people are definitely wanting to play something or just throwing suggestions out for others to comment on.

Let me know what Ive missed either "song proposed" or "signed up for" wise.

Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    In terms of equipment - quite happy to drag the Hot Rod Deluxe down and the M13. The M13 could be useful as its a bonehead simple piece of kit to get lots of different sounds out of - plus has a tuner in it.

@mrkb
    Put me down as definitely going.

I've made more progress in one week than I thought I would in one month.
    I've only picked up the guitar a few times and I've got the flat I've been left in, to completely renovate, change and make my own and I can't really set anything up until it's all done,......but I'm on my way back to my feet now.

I'll do my best to get in shape for December and whatever happens, I'll definitely be there for this one, no matter how I feel.
    If I can remember how to play by then it'll be a little better / worse, depending on how the stars align that day.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Oh, and the 4 songs I'm down for are easily enough for me.

I'll happily jump in and help others but without trying to over face myself, those 4 will do just fine.
    :)
  • Depending on what others bring I'll bring my Katana 50 along.  Should be plenty loud enough for the volumes we reached at the Leicester jam, and by all accounts can get over a drummer, be fun to try, never gets off the half watt setting at home.

Happy to noodle along or play chords on Champagne Supernova, there are two solos hidden away in the solo bit, the first bit which is Noel and a second bit Paul Weller played that is buried in overdubs.

Can easily extend that to as many bars as people like to jam over if we need to.
  • impmann said:

I don't think all the Suede stuff was down a semitone in the early days. This is pretty simple to play, as Bernie will show you:

Ha- yes I'm familiar with that video, what's the betting Brett does NOT remember what he was doing in 1992?!

I actually find that quite inspirational, love Bernard.
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2073
    Anyone fancy doing an acoustic number....Del Amitri Nothing ever happens, Crowded house Weather with you, Travis Rain on me?....just a thought, 

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • spark240 said:
    Anyone fancy doing an acoustic number....Del Amitri Nothing ever happens, Crowded house Weather with you, Travis Rain on me?....just a thought, 
    I'd play Why Does It Always Rain on Me? with you, give the acoustic amp bit of my Katana a try!
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2073
    spark240 said:
    I'd play Why Does It Always Rain on Me? with you, give the acoustic amp bit of my Katana a try!
    Can you do  vocals?

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • spark240 said:
    spark240 said:
    Can you do  vocals?
    Opinion is divided on the subject, I will however try! :)
  • aord43aord43 Frets: 287
    spark240 said:
    I'd be happy to strum a bit to any of those.  At lease the first two.  Rain on me might be a bit more tricky.