SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Shure SM58 wireless fault

harpoharpo Frets: 177
hi guys I've got one of these, which seems to be suffering from an intermittent fault whereby the signal from mic to receiver (or receiver to mixer?) drops out momentarily and then is fine again. I've done a bit of looking online and the advice is that it could be a battery issue .......it's not that.
consequently I'm looking for a repair tech .....anyone know one ? 
Tia
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I imagine shure have pretty good customer services for stuff like that.. Have you tried getting in touch with them?
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10356
    What model is it ?, there's quite a few versions of the wireless 58

Have to say the build quality on some of them is terrible. I replaced the on \ off microswitch on one a couple of weeks back and wasn't impressed with the design. 

Does the signal just drop out or do you hear a burst of noise as well ?
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • harpoharpo Frets: 177
    edited September 2017
    It's the SM58 beta Pgx2 and pgx4 
    the signal just drops out ....just momentarily no burst of noise 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10356
    Ok assuming you can see by looking at the receiver signal indicator  that it is the mic ceasing to transmit a signal rather than the receiver not passing audio then the most likely cause is a bad joint on the mic which would generally mean the mic is fixable for around £50 or it's BER unfortunately in my experience.
    Most of the faults I see with these mics are down to the modular design (heads unscrewing and relying on sprung contacts) crap pin connectors and microswitchs that wear out prematurely.

If your near enough or can post it to me then I will either  fix it for less than £50 or won't charge at all other than return postage if required. 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • harpoharpo Frets: 177
    Thanks for the response Danny. Shure tech have written back to me saying they’re pretty confident that the issue is caused by it being on the now old frequency.....the same as is used by 3G which unfortunately is subject to quite a bit of interference.
    im guessing the
    at the units can’t be upgraded easily to the new current frequencies ?