Kurzweil PC3 synth...what analogue module?

andyozandyoz Frets: 718
edited September 2017 in Other Instruments
I've just bought a second hand Kurzweil PC3-K6 and looking for option of a nice analogue module to go with it.

Maybe one of the next generation analogue mini synths Korg etc. are bringing out.  I'd just midi control it from the Kurzweil.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6101
    Mono or poly?
  • andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    Poly hopefully. My ultimate aim is one of Dave Smith's Prophet 6.  Mainly because I was a teen in the 80's and Sequential Circuits gear was just so high end
    Well, for '80s mono stuff, hidden inside that weird-looking Pioneer Toraiz AS1 is a DSI-designed Pro One-alike. Not very hands-on though. Roland SE-02 mono - just launched - looks fantastic (but small!).

Korg Minilogue is a very decent analogue poly, with the Behringer DM12 module being a deeper, cleverer design. Left-field choice would be something like the Dreadbox Abyss.

What do you think of the PC3? I was looking for the 88-key version before I found a cheap Oberheim controller.
    edited September 2017
    Kurzweil arrives Friday hopefully.  I just found out the previous owners has lots of 3rd party presets loaded onto it so a bonus.

He also had a Roland JP-08 module but those things are just too small...shame as it would have been ideal.
    The SE-02 looks slightly better so might wait for prices to soften.

He's in an 80's band and is buying a Roland System 8.

Also keeping an eye on Behringer.  They are working on a Oberheim OB-X remake apparently.  Deepmind Module might be ideal as you say.

While I wait for Behringer to disrupt the market even more I'll probably end up with Korg Minilogue or maybe Roland JD-Xi (hate their recent build quality though).  I've spotted a Nord Lead 2 module for £300 that is tempting.

I love the JD-Xi - immediate song-writing. :) If it was battery powered, I'd have kept it, for keeping by the sofa for instant noodling and song ideas. Almost worth it for the drum sounds and ease of sequencing alone. The (free) editor software exposes the full synth engine and it's surprisingly powerful.

(I upgraded to a Fantom G for the home studio, and it's nowhere near as quick and easy to get something going.)

Let me know how the PC3 goes - it's got the whole VAST thing going on, but I've never really understood that, and the menu system looks like it's designed for super-geeks. :)
    edited September 2017
    Yeah, I'm glad he's got loads of presets on it because I wouldn't have time to delve into programming.

Funny, but I was also looking at old Fantom G or X but got all confused and decided I didn't want a total workstation (even though the Kurzweil sort of is a bit).  My main priority was wooden side panels!

I was reading Thomas Dolby's book and it got me thinking about all the stuff I tried to do in the 80's and didn't have the talent or £££.

Just listening to Killing Joke Love Like Blood ---- that OB-X stuff does it for me!
    Just an update. Really impressed by the PC3 overall. Definitely a solid keyboard that can be had for less than £1000 second hand.  Lovely lush sounds on it.

Does a sweet Yamaha CP80 piano that defines the 80's for me.
    Don't Stop Believin'! :)
    I'm think more along the lines of Peter Gabrei!

The Kurzweil designers are obvious PG and Genesis fans with presets names like "Gabriel's Flood" and "Lamb Lies Down"