Eric Clapton: Life in 12 Bars

What's Hot

Comments

• Derek and the Dominos live blew my mind. Just brilliant, and his tone is otherworldly. He's using a strat, but the tine is so meaty.

'Why does love got to be so hard', 'have you ever loved a woman' and 'key to the highway' are my personal favourites, but it is great all over.

That line up was incredible, it is on another level entirely to the studio album imo. A lesson in dynamics.

I really enjoyed the from the cradle era. He still sounds the best with a 335 to me!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    Derek and the Dominos live blew my mind. Just brilliant, and his tone is otherworldly. He's using a strat, but the tine is so meaty.

'Why does love got to be so hard', 'have you ever loved a woman' and 'key to the highway' are my personal favourites, but it is great all over.

That line up was incredible, it is on another level entirely to the studio album imo. A lesson in dynamics.
    It's a type of record you don't hear so much these days ime. The Allman Bros Live at Fillmore is another and the Mountain Live lp, where a band stretches out and allows the musicians to shine in a low key way, no histrionics or fireworks required, just considered musicianship.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hootsmon said:
    Wots Eric's best album for guitar playin'...other than the Beano stuff?
    Impossible. lol. 24 Nights is of course really great.  However, for more recent Live era playing I really rate One More Car, One More Rider.  Some amazing stuff on there.  :+1: 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWynd said:

A old colleague of mine filmed a documentary of the train tour when Clapton was deep in drink. Stigwood organised the train apparently so that he would have less easy access to alcohol. I'm wondering if footage from Rex's movie will feature in the new film, I hope so, he's an excellent documentary maker.
    Ok - now you have done it.  EC on a train (in Germany).  BTW, this won't work on a phone, only a laptop/telly.  No idea.  It is possibly the best EC thing on YouTube (for me) at the moment:

Enjoy!!   :-)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • His Dobro on 'Give Me Strength' is one of the finest things he's done. Exquisite phrasing - just a lovely piece of guitar playing.
    YES!!!  That was his Grandma's fav track apparently.  Sounds great on my turntable  :+1: 
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    edited September 2017
    PinstripePhil said:
    Ok - now you have done it.  EC on a train (in Germany).  BTW, this won't work on a phone, only a laptop/telly.  No idea.  It is possibly the best EC thing on YouTube (for me) at the moment:

Enjoy!!   :-)

Wow he looked out of it during most of that, didn’t he? The bit where he suggested working prevented him from being an alcoholic shows how in denial he was about his problem.

Many interesting things though - some of the things he played on his Martin on the train were lovely, he used a 70s Strat with a bullet truss rod for slide (which I’ve never seen him play before or since) - and his respect for Muddy Waters was palpable.

I knew the film had been made - but in spite of being an Uber-fan - I hadn’t seen it before. Thank you for posting it.
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    If I could just put  this in perspective... There's another thread about a couple of people that were on this forum and some are saying: yeah, well, so and so said stupid, offensive things but at least he knew about playing the guitar.
    Clapton can play guitar. And probably better than whatsisface.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396

Edge Of Darkness - some of his best playing IMO.
  • Enjoyed that train documentary. He's clearly trollied throughout. Some very interesting bits. I thought it was just me playing a Strat with a 78 West Brom shirt on, but no. :)
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Hope they do a section devoted to his waistcoats over the years. Particularly like the one on the cover of Just One Night. He's led a strange life, just wish he didn't take himself so seriously.
  • Not a great fan but would love to see the film if it came to Netflix.

As for the racist bit, cannot condone his comments but he did help form "Rock against Racism" so every cloud 'n all that.

• Frizer said:
     just wish he didn't take himself so seriously.
    People who’ve worked with him often say he’s actually very funny.

I saw Albert Lee a few years back at a Music Man event who recounted that his first ‘good’ electric guitar was a black ‘59 Les Paul Custom with 3 PAFs that he sold, to buy his first Tele.

When he was rehearsing with EC’s band he told him about, saying what a lovely instrument it was and how he wished he still had it.

The next day, EC arrived carrying a Gibson case, opening it to reveal the black LPC he used on Cream’s first album, asking,”Was it like that?”

Albert Lee confirmed it was - to which EC replied, “You can have it”. Albert still owns the guitar....
    0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Great Albert Lee story.  I knew he had that guitar as a gift from EC but not the backstory  Fab stuff.  :+1: 
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    hootsmon said:
    Wots Eric's best album for guitar playin'...other than the Beano stuff?
    From The Cradle from the mid-1990s and the Hyde Park DVD from the same period. He was on fire on both....
    I worked as a lowlie roadie for the Hyde park event and found myself to be the only one left on stage while my colleagues attended to their needs. I spent the whole concert behind the stage right curtain counting my lucky stars. Not soon after, Andy fair weather low played at the 100 club where I bartended; turned out to be a remarkable guitarist in his own right. 
    So I absolutely agree on from the cradle. 
    If you're interested in reading his autobiography, DON'T!!! It's so apologetic and rather scant for anecdotes. A shame since he's a rather intelligent man and could have produced something a lot more interesting and inspiring. 
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    AlexC said:

Great playing maybe but my god what was that din in the background?
  • rico said:
    AlexC said:

Great playing maybe but my god what was that din in the background?
    That din would be Eric Clapton. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9549
    edited December 2017
    In Cinemas on Jan 10 as a one-off broadcast from the BFI including Q&A session with EC and director Lili Fini Zanuck. Then on general release (I think) from Jan 12.

See www.claptontickets.film

I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4669
    Sessions for Mr Johnson is pretty good too, as is the accompanying CD.  From the cradle is the best.

Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Nearly forgot about this....now booked for next Wednesday.
  • JDE said:

I would love a DVD release!!!
    I think I would, too :)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself