Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Band members playing the wrong chords..

What's Hot

Comments

• @Emp_Fab what's the actual song that the keys player is playing wrong?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • horsehorse Frets: 1563
    I'd really struggle to play in a band where you can't say if you think things sound wrong, and have that at least considered.

I played keys in a band where the (technically excellent) lead guitarist was playing an E by shifting a D shape up 2 frets, but he was catching the open A and D strings at the same time making a dischordant clang over what should be a soft / sweet sounding section. I said lets stop and work out what isnt sounding right, whats everyone playing there? - he played what he was doing and told me it was just a standard E major. So I pointed out there isn't an A or D in that chord - amazed me that he just couldn't hear that it was clashing and adjust to stop it first time it happened, given he was in many many ways a fantastic player.

One thing I've realised a lot playing later in life with different musicians is just how differently everybodies musical brains are. Me and my musical mates learnt together and so had very similar instincts and understandings, and I wrongly assumed that all musicians' musical brains worked the same, but the actual variety is amazing
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • I was depping with a band a few years ago on guitar. I walked over to Bassist and asked "what key are you in?" He said A, I said me too, must be two of them and walked away! 
    Hard work that night, first time I ever played Crazy little thing called love, with drummer playing straight with no swing! 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10357
    It's amazing how many people don't know what key they are playing in ..... a lot of people i've played with other the years assumed it was the first chord of the song :)

For tightness sake though, don't let things like this go. There's always some bits that people fudge cos it's difficult but the basic chord structure should be achievable for everyone regardless of playing ability 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Danny1969 said:
    It's amazing how many people don't know what key they are playing in ..... a lot of people i've played with other the years assumed it was the first chord of the song :)

But what key is "Sweet Home Alabama” in?  ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Danny1969 said:

But what key is "Sweet Home Alabama” in?  ;)
    Ah, I have a concept I call the Home key and the home key of that song is G to me. However I do tend to widdle away in D pent the first 2 bars before switching to G maj when I solo.

I could be wrong though, that song does tend to polarise people 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Sounds like you won't be in that band for long :( I would feel the same as you though as that would really grate on me, especially if it was actually me who's doing the wrong chord. It's happened and I couldn't live with the shame lol
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • vizviz Frets: 10647
    Danny1969 said:

which it is. (in Sweet Home Alabama anyway)
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • viz said:
    Danny1969 said:

To me it's in D as well. I don't think playing Dm pentatonic over it would feel as natural if it were in G. The other scale which fits nicely to my ears is D myxolidian.
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    I've always thought it was in G major.

Ed King says it is too :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• ICBM said:

Phew, I was starting to think that it was just me that thought that.
    It's not a competition.
  • PlectrumPlectrum Frets: 494
    ICBM said:

If you're right (which you easily well be :) ) then you should be able to happily solo over it in Gm pentatonic. I must confess that I've not tried that. And AFAIKT the original solos were very much centred around Dm pentatonic. I'm happy to be prved wrong though :)
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
    Plectrum said:
    ICBM said:

If you're right (which you easily well be :) ) then you should be able to happily solo over it in Gm pentatonic. I must confess that I've not tried that. And AFAIKT the original solos were very much centred around Dm pentatonic. I'm happy to be prved wrong though :)
    I find I have to kind of switch keys when solo'ing ... like Dm pent over the D and C chords but than I move to very much Gmaj target notes to keep the country feel. 
    A few years ago I was asked to replace the second solo on a country record that was recorded at Muscle Shoals. I was pretty confident until I realised no one key worked ... it was the same kinda deal as SHA. What I played didn't make the record 

I think in cases like Sweet Home the songs effectively in G as that's where to me it wants to rest ... as in the "home" key  but that doesn't mean you can stay in Gmaj and it will sound right over every part of the song
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • We do a couple of songs where the keyboards play the wrong chords. We can't sack him as he formed it.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2744
    At some point I suspect most of us have done it - I certainly have and although you feel a wally for a few minutes I would much rather someone tell me and we play it right than have them knowing I’m wrong but not saying.   
    Slightly different to those times when a band has adjusted it to do their version and you need to catch up - I had a deep gig a few weeks ago where I’m trying to follow the changes live - played with them again on Friday night and it was much easier knowing what was coming.  

If you’ve pointed it out and it’s a mistake rather than deliberate and he won’t change then you’re stuck.    
    Could  be worth sharing the song and chord here just to get a second opinion?
  • Jock68Jock68 Frets: 902
    Playing in time and getting 99% chords correct, sounds like an asset, I would be happy achieving one of those.
    Jock
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1813
    edited October 2017
    viz said:
    Danny1969 said:
    It's amazing how many people don't know what key they are playing in ..... a lot of people i've played with other the years assumed it was the first chord of the song

But isn't the solo in E pentatonic if my memory serves me well? 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • vizviz Frets: 10647
    ICBM said:

Eh I thought you were a D-er, no?
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2723

Our piano player has perfect pitch so I don't get away with much.........
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • viz said:
    ICBM said:

Eh I thought you were a D-er, no?
    I think of Sweet Home Alabama as based around a key centre of G major (Ionian) but it could equally be viewed as  D Mixolydian. Same difference because they both provide the same palette of notes.

The first solo seems more D centric to me, whereas the second solo seems more G centric.

It's not a competition.