Tom Petty RIP

What's Hot

Comments

• GassageGassage Frets: 30826
    Damn. Torpedo?

(RIP Tom)

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    Certainly a man who was song first - The guitar is a fundamental part of the sound and texture of TP but you don't need a solo to make the song work - Catchy riffs and use the guitar to add colour to the song, but the guitar doesn't own the song - Great blend of pop/rock
    Mike Campbell’s work with TP is just a masterclass in taste and tone - and between them they had more cool guitars than any other band I can think of. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14036
    tFB Trader
    Certainly a man who was song first - The guitar is a fundamental part of the sound and texture of TP but you don't need a solo to make the song work - Catchy riffs and use the guitar to add colour to the song, but the guitar doesn't own the song - Great blend of pop/rock
    Mike Campbell’s work with TP is just a masterclass in taste and tone - and between them they had more cool guitars than any other band I can think of. 
    very much an unsung guitar hero IMO is M Campbell - he just adds the right amount of texture to enrich the songs - a clever and talented player - and yes a total gear junkie
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378

Wis'd !

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    Spot on!
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • aord43aord43 Frets: 287
    RIP Tom.  As everyone said, much too young. I listened to the greatest hits album last night, maybe some Traveling Wilbury's today.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    Way too young, I was only watching Mike Cambell on Yootoob Sunday evening and love the bands output. Sad day.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    RIP :(.

The sounds on his records are one of the reasons I love Rickenbacker guitars.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    edited October 2017
    Wasn't ready for him to go yet....

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

I'm on Youtube watching his videos to get me through work.  And quite high up are TMZ with a video playing his wife's 911 call.
    So question 1, why the fuck would they do that? (no real answer needed) but question 2, how do they obtain that?

RIP.  I heard Free Fallin as a kid when Guns n Roses covered it, and then yours, and Mayers.  It was so easy to cover that song and make it amazing.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14036
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    RIP :(.

The sounds on his records are one of the reasons I love Rickenbacker guitars.
    I had a gut feeling that him, you and a Ricky had a mutual relationship
  • joeyowen said:
    semi-unrelated question.

I'm on Youtube watching his videos to get me through work.  And quite high up are TMZ with a video playing his wife's 911 call.
    So question 1, why the fuck would they do that? (no real answer needed) but question 2, how do they obtain that?

RIP.  I heard Free Fallin as a kid when Guns n Roses covered it, and then yours, and Mayers.  It was so easy to cover that song and make it amazing.
    I've said it already but TMZ are absolutely vile wastes of oxygen. They give absolutely no consideration to decency, family or morality. Pure excrement.

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    I'd give that more wisdom if I could
  • The problem is, they only exist and profit because people know they will pay for exclusives. This means someone in the 911 centre sold them the recording. Probably someone at the hospital was feeding them info too. Disgusting

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    You could almost feel TMZ rubbing their hands in glee last night as their exclusive was shared and re quoted around the globe.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    edited October 2017 tFB Trader
    Ive just seen it come up in a search on youtube, not watched it, absolutely despicable cunts.
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • A truly tragic loss. I can highly recommend the Tom Petty doc Running Down a Dream which is on Netflix. I think I will be watching it again this week. (PS I hope something bad happens to whoever sold that 911 call)
    Link to my trading feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    Reminiscent of the Rick Parfitt tribute thread we did - a lot of love for the guy, irrespective of your musical preferences. :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Maxx77Maxx77 Frets: 20
    Never liked TP music, but always sad when an artist dies (well, also others in general).

Anyway, it would happen' sooner or later. Look at the band...
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16254
    I liked a bit of TP and my eldest brother loved the Wilburys and they were played at his funeral so it's a sad passing, no great age at all. One of those artists I appreciate more now than I did when I was younger.
    Sad, RIP Tom. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell.