Playing live: under play vs over play

What's Hot

Comments

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    I think  problem a lot of pub covers bands is not so much one of over playing, but one of playing the song it's most simplest form, but then trying to overdo it on solo sections. Loads of bands just drone the chords out, but don't nail the rhythm and fills.

So listen to the tracks, find the its that make it interesting and make sure you nail them. Oh and don't be afraid of not playing anything.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • What about the guitar harmonising the vocal line now and again?  Would that work?  I've no idea if it would, but it might be interesting (or shit!)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1368
    What about the guitar harmonising the vocal line now and again?  Would that work?  I've no idea if it would, but it might be interesting (or shit!)
    Yeah I like to sometimes play the vox line a 3rd above. Sounds a bit wonky sometimes but that can be a good thing.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11262
    Go and listen to some Free - Paul Kossoff's playing is a model of restraint, but when he plays he wastes nothing. Carlos Santana once said of someone "he can play all the notes but he can't play the spaces in between the notes".
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4158
    The rule I always try and go by is to serve the song, if it requires sparse broken chords etc so be it. When you gig with a keyboard player its always a good idea to break the chords down so you don't crowd the same frequency range and if your singer has a greatest of pipes, the punters will want to hear her tbh. 
  • vizviz Frets: 10644
    cruxiform said:
    viz said:
    That made me laugh, he's a lad isn't he? Makes a good point though. It reminded me of this:

Haha
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • AlexOAlexO Frets: 1083
    Never mind your singer!! Go all out, have your moment.

A Chuck Berry esq duck walk across the stage especially during her big note moments would be perfection...

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1808
    edited October 2017
    I tend to play in context of the song - if its a rockier number (Rebel Yell for instance) there'll be pinch harmonics all over the place but not stepping over what the singer is doing, again keep the solo best as possible to original - there ain't much  time for anything else!!

Other songs in the set (Brick in the Wall PT2, Purple Rain, Who's Cryin' Now) I get to stretch out a bit but always keep in context with the song - Brick for instance - if I start doing Eddieism's over it all it becomes a wankfest rather than keeping in character of the song and nobody appreciates that no matter how good you executed it..

If its any consolation, apart from a very few comments about me (and I mean a few!!) people are most complimentary about the band as a whole - without us all it wouldn't be the band that it is - without you playing guitar @Jetfire for T.A then T.A wouldn't be T.A....

I know for a fact you can play and you are already leagues ahead of a lot of the players around here (its that Bogner Cab!!) so I wouldn't worry about it, just enjoy it, don't overplay and don't give yourself massive hurdles to jump by thinking you could be better..
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    Do also think that - depending on the music obviously - there is something cathartic, and proportionate - in given yourself one opportunity to widdle a bit of an evening, as it were. 

Just don't be the sax player in The Commitments
  • Play for the song, keep the chords accurate (if its a chordy one) and stay tight with the rhythm!
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 9983
    tFB Trader
    My own approach has always been play as powerfully but as little as possible ... it makes those moments when you simply have to burst out much more dramatic. Also learning how to be melodic as well as exciting, and to structure your solos to build to a peak is important. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1687
    I've been away from my guitar for over a week (im in Butlins in Minehead) so my head is buzzing with ideas and stiff I want to try out. The hope in this thread was to kinda confirm what I already kinda new. I think I'm in the right ball park and Id love to just be that bit better at solos and shred stuff (which is just my bag really). When we play, we are a proper 4 piece, full of energy, stage banter, full wireless action and rock poses. 

@welshboyo is always too kind, hes a top player himself, im uber jealous! 

Rather weirdly after posting this, I watched the Pete Thorn and Phil X video on how to kill it. Awesome video, the men are proper legends, enthused me to get back to playing and hard graft.

The vocal line idea I've been toying with too so I may have to do some woodshedding too @NickBotfield !
  • FloofFloof Frets: 17
    Jetfire said:

Rather weirdly after posting this, I watched the Pete Thorn and Phil X video on how to kill it. Awesome video, the men are proper legends, enthused me to get back to playing and hard graft.

Yes there is a brilliant bit in that where Phil X talks about how he and Tico Torres play off each other rhythmically on any particular night - very rewarding for them, the audience will not notice it, but they are having a great time
  • FloofFloof Frets: 17
    ... and anyway I'd rather be playing songs that an audience loved than "Am7 I love you baby" instrumental arpeggios at 160bpm to silence ;-) 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14322
    Play as little as you can get away with.

Play enough to make a favourable impression.

Try not to outstay your welcome.

Typical cover versions band audiences want to sing along with familiar lyrics, wiggle about slightly out of time with the beat and neck alcoholic beverages. Clever "musician" stuff will go right over the heads of the majority. If you believe that you have a soul, prepare to have it slowly destroyed.
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9551
    Jetfire said:
    ...and stiff I want to try out.
    Hmmmm...
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14322
    Bona, Mr. 'Orne. ;)
    Be seeing you.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    edited October 2017
    Play less. <mounts hobby horse>  if you have 2 guitars playing the same 6 string chords it can sound dire, more so with distortion, and it gets worse with keyboards - everyone playing in the same spectrum.

As mentioned ^^^^^^ 3 string triads on the neck sound great.

If you aren't a walking guitar grimorie, you can still play cowboy and great barre chords - just only play the top / bottom 3 or four strings leaving some air.

(The ONLY exception is of course Teenage Kicks ;) )
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2739
    I can’t understand the “play minimally in the background” thing

its live music - minimalist is for the hifi 

live you you want to see energy and passion and enjoyment from the players 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    here is a masterclass in creating tone mojo on stage....

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>