Accusations of "fiddling"...

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    As it turned into a bit more of a techincal discussion - I found this admittedly old but interesting article as I will admit to not having heard of ringing out monitors! It makes sense now I read up on it but have never done it or seen it done although I'm sure all the house PAs we go thru have a sound guy doing all of that - prob glad we don't have an opinion on it :)
    http://www.emusician.com/how-to/1334/masterclass-how-to-ring-out-stage-monitors/49827
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7777
    Memories of doing FoH for a popular band in a large nightclub in Wakefield back in the 80s (yeah, analogue) with no sound check. I did a line check and then they started. I had it under control by the first chorus :)

R.

I was chatting to the guitarist of a local band from the 80s who are still popular enough to get festival gigs in Europe and he told me that their first song always starts with the drummer for four bars, then the bass player joins in for four more, then the guitar and finally the vocals start - to give the sound guy a bit of help.

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3042
    Emp_Fab said:
    What do you want, a medal ?  =)
    :)
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    One sound guy I know uses one of the old Zoom recorders for his desk at a small venue. However, the benefit of this is he records your soundcheck and then you can come out front and listen to it.

Having done this singularly with a looper for my own sound/rig a few times, I wonder if doing the same off the desk for the full band would work? A bit unorthodox but then you'd all get to hear it.
  • horsehorse Frets: 1568
    Kebabkid said: 
    One sound guy I know uses one of the old Zoom recorders for his desk at a small venue. However, the benefit of this is he records your soundcheck and then you can come out front and listen to it.

Having done this singularly with a looper for my own sound/rig a few times, I wonder if doing the same off the desk for the full band would work? A bit unorthodox but then you'd all get to hear it.
    With a full band in a small venue I guess it wouldn't be accurate though as you'll lose the actual drums / backline the audience hear behind the PA - depends what you think is a small venue though I suppose
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    horse said:
    - depends what you think is a small venue though I suppose
    Mostly the venues I play at............