Playing live: under play vs over play

What's Hot

Comments

• kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    My own approach has always been play as powerfully but as little as possible ... it makes those moments when you simply have to burst out much more dramatic. Also learning how to be melodic as well as exciting, and to structure your solos to build to a peak is important. 
    Great point about solo structure. A really good player of my acquaintance is excellent at writing his solos and planning them v carefully. It's a discipline I've often envied - I tend to improvise, sometimes good, sometimes bad...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    I don't overplay. But I try to find what's missing and add that. 

i never play fast either. PA systems fog your pick attack and dynamics at loud volume so I always go for a big anthemic approach to guitar solo's.

But by by the same token. I want it to be interesting. I find I see a lot of boring guitarists at gigs. Playing blandly isn't some amazing discipline. It playing blandly. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2039
    kjdowd said:
    My own approach has always been play as powerfully but as little as possible ... it makes those moments when you simply have to burst out much more dramatic. Also learning how to be melodic as well as exciting, and to structure your solos to build to a peak is important. 
    Great point about solo structure. A really good player of my acquaintance is excellent at writing his solos and planning them v carefully. It's a discipline I've often envied - I tend to improvise, sometimes good, sometimes bad...
    Solo Of The Month competition on here is a brilliant way of practising/exercising this ^
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    kjdowd said:
    Do also think that - depending on the music obviously - there is something cathartic, and proportionate - in given yourself one opportunity to widdle a bit of an evening, as it were. 

Just don't be the sax player in The Commitments
    No,  best to be Joey 'the lips' iirc. ;-)
  • BarriveeBarrivee Frets: 100
    As the mighty Bob Armstrong (sorry drummer raising head over parapet here) told me a long time ago in a galaxy far far away - you play for the song. I think he also said for fecks sake that's still shite sort your life out or feck off to Lloyd Ryan. However I'm not sure that's pertinent here. 
  • Devil's advocate: shouldn't this be in a less gear-oriented section? But then I bet it wouldn't have had as many replies :)
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4423
    edited October 2017
    After @welshboyo's comment I'd like to hear his and @Jetfire's playing (leagues ahead of most folk in the area) - do you guys have any clips?
  • @Barrivee is your name a take on "Larrivee?"
  • BarriveeBarrivee Frets: 100
    'Tis indeed @thomascross20 ;
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2533
    57Deluxe said:
    here is a masterclass in creating tone mojo on stage....

That was incredible, thanks for sharing. What a performance!
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    Devil's advocate: shouldn't this be in a less gear-oriented section? But then I bet it wouldn't have had as many replies :)
    Moved to Live.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 614
    Just play what fits ...it could be underplaying or overplaying it really depends on the song ...maybe another alternative would be to try different chord inversions in parts ..thats providing they fit the song...i don't really get th phrase less is more...it really depends on the song ..
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31367
    I have one simple rule if I'm unsure about an arrangement or I'm depping with another band - I listen to the singer while I'm playing as if I was a punter. 

Is the lyric audible on this bit? If not, is it my fault? Do they need backup on this section so they can give it some welly? Is it a question and answer type arrangement between vocal and guitar? 

If you stop listening to yourself and listen intently to the singer your hands should automatically control your dynamics. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10356
    Barney said:
    Just play what fits ...it could be underplaying or overplaying it really depends on the song ...maybe another alternative would be to try different chord inversions in parts ..thats providing they fit the song...i don't really get th phrase less is more...it really depends on the song ..
    Agreed, but with some players less IS more and none would be perfect :)
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • RogerRoger Frets: 20
    Just play what's needed - the song is king and the singer should be top of the tree. It's great you've got a good one it will make your job much easier
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    edited November 2017
    it's all about context.. 
    not only the style of music but also each individual moment..

about 95% or more of my entire live set is a set piece [including the solos]
    it's never about over or under playing.. it's about doing what you think is right..
    under playing for the sake of it is just dull.. over playing can fk up a song..
    when the moment is right, I'd rather take myself to the ragged edge to be exciting than hold back just to be spot on or 'tasteful'..
    I never sell myself or the audience short.. I throw everything I have at it every performance..
    remember, folks come to see you to be entertained..
    so go for it.. put on a show.. entertain them..
    play every note as if it were your first
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    Good to see Ms Fish getting some time on this forum! One of my favourites of the last few years.
  • DanjiDanji Frets: 225
    Depends on a lot of things for me, how my hands are feeling, what’s being played, how good the room sounds, and who I'm playing with. 
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    Danji said:
    Depends on a lot of things for me, how my hands are feeling, what’s being played, how good the room sounds, and who I'm playing with. 
    how the room sounds - this is interesting..
    what is your thinking here?
    play every note as if it were your first