Tom Petty RIP

What's Hot
123457»

Comments

• IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    Maxx77 said:
    Never liked TP music, but always sad when an artist dies (well, also others in general).

Anyway, it would happen' sooner or later. Look at the band...
    Great input, thanks.
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • jimkehoejimkehoe Frets: 208
    August 2002 my wife and I along with our 2 sons who were 15 and 10 were enjoying a fantastic holiday in California. I knew that Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers were playing in outdoor amphitheatre on the Mexican border over 100 miles away. Despite not having any tickets and major protestations I dragged us all down there in our hire car and queued at the box office chatting to several other people around me.
    I was approached by a person who turned out to be from the band's road crew who was surprised to hear an English accent. After a brief and friendly conversation he told me to wait and then returned a short while later having actually spoke to Tom Petty. He then explained that the band always had quite a number of the first two rows reserved for friends and family. He then said they were not all taken and that Tom and the band would like us to have four tickets front of stage second row.
    It was without a doubt one if not the best concerts I have ever been to and I am sure shaped both my sons'  appreciation of music and they have always loved Tom Petty ever since. During the concert Mike Campbell laughed and smiled several times at our youngest who was just beaming and so happy and excited by the proceedings . At the end of the concert he came over and gave him a plectrum embossed with " Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame 2002." ( They had recently had been inducted into the Rock n Roll hall of Fame.)

Support was Jackson Browne.

I obviously never knew or even met Tom Petty but I have loved his music since I was a teenager and that concert will always be a great memory for all our family. 66 is no age. 

R.I P.
    0reaction image LOL 18reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3021
    jimkehoe said:
     that concert will always be a great memory for all our family. 66 is no age. 

Great story.

I'm currently kicking myself that I didn't get of my arse and go and see him in London earlier this year. "Oh, I'll catch him some other time". Bugger.

:(

R.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Maxx77Maxx77 Frets: 20
    miserneil said:
    Maxx77 said:
    Never liked TP music, but always sad when an artist dies (well, also others in general).

Anyway, it would happen' sooner or later. Look at the band...
    Great input, thanks.
    Any time m8
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2867
    True American Legend 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306

Great story.

I'm currently kicking myself that I didn't get of my arse and go and see him in London earlier this year. "Oh, I'll catch him some other time". Bugger.

R.
    Same here, think I had a gig that night so didn't even try to get tickets :-(
  • BezzerBezzer Frets: 581
    edited October 2017

So very glad I got to Hyde Park in July, has been such a big part of my musical life, this hit me very hard I'll admit.  Still very annoyed the last time he came to the UK I thought "ah, he'll be back soon" ... 17 years later ...

Had been working on a cover of one of his all weekend too.  Will be very missed.

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14030
    tFB Trader
    jimkehoe said:
     that concert will always be a great memory for all our family. 66 is no age. 

Great story.

R.
    like wise - and hoping for something closer like Brum or Manc - alas I'll have to stick to youtube etc etc
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    Tom Petty - Rock Goes to College on BBC4 now. Possibly on the iPlayer later. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378

R.
    I HAD TICKETS (Golden Circle at the front), but my missus booked me to play a really dull birthday party and wouldn't let me find deps :(  My jammy GodSon used them instead :( :( :(

I DID however see him a couple of years back at the Royal Albert Hall - Best. Concert. Ever.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3889
    Gutted, really love Tom Petty.  I really wanted to see him in Hyde Park this year and didn't...
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    Tom Petty - Rock Goes to College on BBC4 now. Possibly on the iPlayer later. 
    Just bumping this as it is actually on the iPlayer if anyone is interested. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27344
    Anyone catch all the tribute programs on BBC4 last night?

I'm sat here watching the "Rock goes to college" gig.  Ahhhhh .. those were the days.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14030
    tFB Trader
    TTony said:
    Anyone catch all the tribute programs on BBC4 last night?

I'm sat here watching the "Rock goes to college" gig.  Ahhhhh .. those were the days.
    yes RGTC and Classic Albums - love the quote on classic albums when he mentioned that it only took him 10 mins or so to write the song after MC gave him the rift/chords 
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5112
    Could someone tell me what's going on in the World please? I've had Tom Petty's Greatest hits on repeat constantly for a fornight  :)
  • Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb