Bass gig bags are large..

RockerRocker Frets: 4942
My Fender Precision was supplied in a large Fender case. Very well padded but the case takes up a lot of space in our music room. So I went looking in Dublin for a gig bag which would allow me to store the big case in the attic. The gig bags, those that will offer some protection for my bass, are almost as big as the supplied bass case. The best looking gig bag, Fender branded, has rubber/plastic reinforcement at each end  so it won't lie flat like one I got from Thomann for my, now sold, first bass. This is the reason why I did not buy a gig bag that day in Dublin (due to its size). My concern is that for an expensive instrument, I want to give it the best chance of remaining intact if it falls. Hence I will continue to use the supplied hard case.

Anyone care to suggest a gig bag that will fold flat and provide good protection for my bass? Thanks.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    You will struggle to get a gig bag that folds flat and has as much protection as a hard case, or even good protection.

Broadly I hate gig bags. 

However, for my 64 P I exclusively use a gig bag - a Mono. Why? Because the protection is incredible - neck support, rubber boot, waterproof, extra shell padding.

It is the same size as a hard case in reality, but for carrying its just so much easier.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71952
    You will struggle to get a gig bag that folds flat and has as much protection as a hard case, or even good protection.

Broadly I hate gig bags. 

However, for my 64 P I exclusively use a gig bag - a Mono. Why? Because the protection is incredible - neck support, rubber boot, waterproof, extra shell padding.

It is the same size as a hard case in reality, but for carrying its just so much easier.
    I don't hate gig bags - I much prefer them to hard cases for normal daily use - but one that both folds flat and protects the instrument properly is going to be mutually exclusive.

The Mono is absolutely outstanding for protection, in fact certainly better than the old plywood hard case my Rick came in, but it's actually bulkier - bigger in every direction, even though being shaped it's less awkward to carry even without using the shoulder straps, and also easier to get into a car - and a bit heavier. They also cost more than a decent hard case…

Before that I had a Levy's 'Economy Style' (that's the model name) which was pretty flat - it definitely wasn't anywhere near as good as the Mono for protection, but it was about the only very flat-type one I've seen which is reasonably padded. It still wouldn't fold easily though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    Before I bought a Mono (they really are very good), I had a CNB bag from Guitar Guitar. The ones currently showing aren't the same but my one was reasonably padded, had useful pockets and could be folded and cost about £35.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14321
    The question that you have to ask yourself is this. Do I feel plucky? Well, do ya? :)

Think of it this way. Any container that fails to protect your instrument fully could have a detrimental effect on your earnings. 

If you cannot bear the weight of the instrument and hard case to/from your vehicle, how will you cope with wearing it for the duration of your set?
    Be seeing you.
  • My bass has a pretty heavy & unbalanced plywood case and at one point I used what was effectively a bass sleeve, which would lie flat as a pancake. However, all the damage incurred to my bass occurred while I was using this gig bag, so there is always a trade off. Personally, I'd stick with that lovely lightweight SKB fender case you've got, but alternatives to the Mono, would be a Protection Racket 7051(pretty substantial) and the standard Fender gig bag, minimal padding but it slides under beds or into wardrobes with no trouble.