Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Northampton Jam Session - Sunday 3rd December - 1 to 5pm

What's Hot

Comments

• AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Update.....

Life is as close to normal as it's going to get so put me down as definitely going.
    I'll make a start into those 4 songs next week and see what else I can remember before December.

That place where all this comes from for me is like a platform I stand on to play and to whatever degree, it taps into my emotions. That platform has looked like a war zone for the last couple of months but now it's looking clearer and more like a stage again.

Looking forward to it now.
    :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6637
    edited October 2017

That's good to hear @alnico

Im a bit disappointed at the lack of input on what people want to play - Im happy to just meet up and jam, but my learning from the Leicester one was that it works better if people come prepared for a few songs and the others can help backing on them. Current list is:-

https://i.imgur.com/Cc6ckXN.jpg

So theres plenty of places for others to fill. Im not sure if @octatonic will be there to help out on drums as he's on a hiatus and I don't have any other contact detais for him.

So the challenge to the others is get me a list of the songs you want to play and we can start filling in the drums/bass/vocal slots.

Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1

Just a quick reminder to @mrkb, @bridgehouse, @Octatonic, @Flink_Poyd, @Alnico, @TTBZ, @mike_l
    @spark240, @strumjoughlamps, @Pablo, @aord43, @darthed1981, @TADodger, @impman, @adampeter, @thorpyfx

Let us know if you are still interested in the Jam on Dec 3rd, and what instruments you want to play on what songs.

Im planning 3 x 30 mins slots of proper songs mixed with 3x30 min sets of jam along songs. I will probably have to play drums (unless we have other volunteers) so will need some notice to get the songs structure learnt.

Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27344
    mrkb said:

Im a bit disappointed at the lack of input on what people want to play

Looking at this thread quickly, it's not easy to see who's coming (maybe and committed) and what's being played (suggested and committed).

@BridgeHouse organised the Quad session really tightly and got people into the slots quickly so that there could be some pre-session practising.  And it worked well.  If there's a song suggested, but no-one wants to commit to playing it (which is what it looks like in the s/sheet) then perhaps it's not popular/attractive enough, so bin it and move on to something else.

@Flink_Poyd - can I commandeer your second post in this thread to maintain an updated list of who & what?

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    @TTony commandeer away. 

Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11670
    mrkb said:

Just a quick reminder to @mrkb, @bridgehouse, @Octatonic, @Flink_Poyd, @Alnico, @TTBZ, @mike_l
    @spark240, @strumjoughlamps, @Pablo, @aord43, @darthed1981, @TADodger, @impman, @adampeter, @thorpyfx

Let us know if you are still interested in the Jam on Dec 3rd, and what instruments you want to play on what songs.

Im planning 3 x 30 mins slots of proper songs mixed with 3x30 min sets of jam along songs. I will probably have to play drums (unless we have other volunteers) so will need some notice to get the songs structure learnt.

@mrkb ;

Still very interested and a definite unless life gets in the way! 

In terms of songs, I'm happy to play any bit of Champagne Supernova, and the jam songs look fun, though I'm no Hendrix so some of those might be rather beyond me.

In terms of songs, I'll happily join in on Sunshine apart from the two I'm down for anyway.  I'm hesitant to suggest any more songs myself until some of the others have been dropped or filled up.  

With @octatonic potentially not available maybe we need some more strummy acoustic songs, or tunes where we can get by without a drummer, give you a bit of a break?

You are right time is getting along - I was sort of waiting for the videos to see where I did OK and where not from Leicester, but I'd assume with @digitalscream having a hiatus we won't get them for a bit.

Hopefully see everyone back on here soon.  My "jacking it in" thread proved to me what a great community this is.
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2073
    I’m still in ....

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    Yes, I'll be there.

Now. A song list? I reckon me and @Alnico could kickstart that.

I need to do it for the Northern Jam soon anyway ;)
    Yes, I'll be there.

I need to do it for the Northern Jam soon anyway ;)
    I'm in,

:)
  • TADodgerTADodger Frets: 211
    Yes, I'm very much still in. I've been contemplating, if not adequately practicing,  Ever fallen in love and Basket case, for the 'proper' songs.

But, can i suggest that some of us non gigging people might like a pre 'proper' song session to rehearse with the more experienced in the group to actually learn something, or, possibly a rehearsed group song at some point in the day perhaps..
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12643
    Yep I'm in - happy to sing/play Champagne Supernova, help out on Comfy with @Alnico  and I'll have a think about other tracks.

Also I'm happy to drag the Hot Rod Deluxe and M13 down for everyone to use.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• adampeteradampeter Frets: 775
    mrkb said:

Yes mate still in....will advise on songs asap
    TADodger said:
    Yes, I'm very much still in. I've been contemplating, if not adequately practicing,  Ever fallen in love and Basket case, for the 'proper' songs.

But, can i suggest that some of us non gigging people might like a pre 'proper' song session to rehearse with the more experienced in the group to actually learn something, or, possibly a rehearsed group song at some point in the day perhaps..
    • What would help is if we get an idea of the experience level of who's going - as per the Leicester Jam? That way we could work out who from the experienced camp, could do what.
    • It's fine if we don't have loads of songs. There's plenty of room for learning AND then jamming what we've learnt but I have a feeling there are enough songs out there to cope.
    • If Octatonic isn't going and we only have one experienced Drummer so far, we should be looking for another one ASAP because, without one, it will sound terrible. Strummy or not. 
    • Who's doing lyrics and song sheets or are we all doing our own?
    • Do we have keys this time?
    • How many vocalists/backing vocalists do we have?
    • Does the studio provide Mics as well as stands or only part of that? Same question about drums, what's provided?
    • What kit are we bringing, mainly thinking about backline here? There's no point having 25 big valve amps turn up when we only need 4 BUT that said we do want people to bring *some* variation of nice amps so if we make this a thing like we did for Leicester we can at least know roughly what we're getting.

There'll be more to ask, more to think about and more to do but answers to that lot and the info therein will give @mrkb , @TTony , @Bridgehouse and I something to get stuck into.

Also noted that @TTony is organising the song sheet, which is awesome.

These things always work best when there's general enthusiasm all 'round from everyone so let's keep this simmering and make it the best we can?

We MUST find a backup drummer ASAP !!!
    It's a real shame James isn't about but maybe if someone can reach him, he'd do it? Worth asking?
    adampeter said:
    mrkb said:

Yes mate still in....will advise on songs asap
    I'm down for 4 Songs

Ever Fallen in Love - Guitar
    Basket Case - Guitar and Vocals
    Jolene (Ray Lamontagne) - Guitar and Vocals
    Comfortably Numb - Guitar and RW Vocals (DG Vocal by @impmann )

I *Think* that's right but happy to wiggle if needed.

@mrkb ......that's almost 30 minutes there.
    I don't mind or care if you want to chop that up or run it as a 30-minute slot, I'm happy with either. In reality, I would do that in one go anyway and on stage, the equipment changes in between songs would have to be coped with anyway so it's no big deal for me. Everything is saved on patches on the GT100 so a change without swapping guitar - seconds. A change WITH swapping the guitar - maybe 60 seconds inc tuning.

I'm bringing my Pro Strat, Ibanez UV777BK (7 String), My Boss GT100 and I'm looking for a clean valve amp to plug into when I get there.
    edited October 2017
    Good points there @Alnico .

Id put myself as maybe BEG+ if we use the same system as Leicester.  I've not been playing much recently.

I'll bring my Katana but it's more for practise than backline if people are bringing big sexy valve jobs!
    Thank for the updates all- its good to hear there’s a keen core who’ll help make this a success.

There is drum kit (no cymbals- I’ll bring those), mics and bass amps provided. We just need to bring guitars and amps.

Ive been PMd by octatonic, and he’s not coming, so we need another drummer if possible - I think @strumjoughlamps plays, but he’s not confirmed if he wants to yet . I’ve asked my drum tutor if he knows anyone, but no ones come forward yet.

There’s no keyboard player yet-does anyone know one?

I’ve been tracking people’s responses on kit,songs and experience in a googlesheet, I’m happy to let people have access to it, otherwise I’ve been posting images showing status on here. @ttony  Is there a way to embed tables for listing songs, attendees, etc, or is a link to an imgur image the only way?
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    TADodger said:

Agreed here, a quick run through rather than everyone jumping in could help a big chunk.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    @horse - interested in playing keys on a more informal jam session? I reckon probably more like 4 or 5 tunes this time and a lot more informal?
    Alnico said:

Also noted that @TTony is organising the song sheet, which is awesome.

Typical bloody guitarist.

All us bassists look the same to you, eh @Alnico?

;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

mrkb said:

Is there a way to embed tables for listing songs, attendees, etc, or is a link to an imgur image the only way?
    The easiest way (for you) is the embedded image.

I can use my admin powers to do that without needing to use imgur though, which makes it a bit quicker / easier.  Thats what I was going to use post #2 for - keep it all easy to find in the thread.