Starting on Keyboards

What's Hot
Anyone know of any good online lessons for keyboards? Can't seem to find much in the way of free videos and I don't want to fork out on anything before I know it's good.

It needs to be really basic and I know next to nothing about music. Oh, and I'm struggling to find any forums for keys anywhere near as good as Fretboard is for guitars.

No end of really decent free YouTube lessons for guitar. Just wish I could bloody well play guitar seeing as I was just really getting into it and own more of them than I do pairs of footwear. I should probably mention at this point I have major probs with Tennis Elbow. I have had the injection but still really sore. Just had to drop in a grumble. Oh the cruel irony of directing someone on here about a month back on exercises to prevent injury and saying I never get any problems. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BodBod Frets: 1286
    I'm seeing a consultant at the end of the month because of my persistent golfer's elbow. Rubbish innit!?

Anyway, take a look at Michael New on YouTube for keyboard stuff.  I find his presentation really clear and a lot of concepts  I'd struggled with in the past suddenly clicked watching him.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Wasn't until the agonising pain day after the injection I recalled I'd had the injection before. It was years back when I did a lot of sports. The consultant at the time said they might have to look into relocating the tendon by operating on it. Doesn't help I have pointy elbows apparently.

Day after the injection I could hardly move my arm. Had I remembered how painful it was I probably wouldn't have bothered. Maybe I just get a particularly bad reaction.

Cheers for the Michael New stuff. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    youtube has loads... unfortunately, seems talented players often have trouble constructing sentences...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    youtube has loads... unfortunately, seems talented players often have trouble constructing sentences...
    dunno what mean?
  • Anyone recommend any online lessons? They don't have to be free. Need to be absolute beginner friendly though. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    Not that I can play anything much on keyboards but teachers seem to recommend the Kenneth Baker books ( Complete Keyboard Player Series). They include backing track CDs. Having done a bit of it and having looked through ( MrsTheWeary learned a bunch of stuff out of it) he takes a lot of short cuts with theory in order to get you using your hands. If you don’t know any theory it’s probably fine, if you do you’ll either find it maddening or accept it and go with the flow. Absolute beginner friendly, that’s what they’re designed for. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Will definately bear these in mind, cheers. It does definately need to be basic
  • I get absolute when tired

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    I have the greatest fun on keyboards. I basically learned tons of chords and now I just bash out the chords from the guitar line and sing along terrible to pretty much any sheet music song. I just can't do that laborious learn every note stuff any more, it's so dull and cumbersome compared to 1) get music out 2) play music.
  • I've been thinking of learning chords to start with. May as well have some fun on the way.
    Now where's that chord book..

• Just found what looks like a really good series of vids....

• olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    axisus said:
    I have the greatest fun on keyboards. I basically learned tons of chords and now I just bash out the chords from the guitar line and sing along terrible to pretty much any sheet music song. I just can't do that laborious learn every note stuff any more, it's so dull and cumbersome compared to 1) get music out 2) play music.

That's what I did, Chords on Piano are a lot easier and more systematic than on Guitar. You don't even need to learn them for every key, just remember how many semitones between each note of the chord and you are done.

I even wrote a Chord Library as an A Level computing project which you can see here if you are interested. (If anyone needs the compiled version that's ready to run, PM me).

https://bitbucket.org/HarrisMirza/f454finalproject ;
  • axisus said:

That's what I did, Chords on Piano are a lot easier and more systematic than on Guitar. You don't even need to learn them for every key, just remember how many semitones between each note of the chord and you are done.

I even wrote a Chord Library as an A Level computing project which you can see here if you are interested. (If anyone needs the compiled version that's ready to run, PM me).

https://bitbucket.org/HarrisMirza/f454finalproject ;
    Your link isn't working.
  • LevLev Frets: 228
    There's a Youtube channel called Pianote which seems to have some good stuff. I started the piano chord hack playlist which goes through how to play basic chords, inversions and co-ordinate the right and left hand: 

• LevLev Frets: 228
    Also the Lypur how to play paino playlist is good if starting from zero: 

• Thanks for the links @Lev. Good news is my fretting arm seems to be repaired, so not doing any keyboard right now, but we're building a good little resource here for anyone else starting off.

• I've just bought a secondhand digital piano and I'll be using Rocket Piano, which is a beginner's course, so I'll let you know how that goes. It wasn't free, but it wasn't that much either (about 30 quid, iirc).
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    Play on the white keys and use the transpose button. You'll be playing like a pro in next to no time.
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5382
    I saw a course called Piano In 21 Days. It's aimed at getting you playing rather than learning theory so might be right up your street.

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27345
    I need one of these too.

Bookmarked!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.