Playing bass with metronome

BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 766
Usually I play to a drum track, but since I'm a bit rusty timing wise I've tried to work with a metronome. I've been playing this Abraham Laboriel Sr track since I was a teenager when a friend it showed to me. I find it a bit tricky and when I played with a click it felt like I was wandering. I don't know the title of the track so I've no reference point to listen to but I know it should be a little quicker but I've slowed it down for practise purposes. Anyhoo have a listen to this as I would be interested in your constructive wisdom. (Tends to suffer from stamina issues in the second part.)

Could be in the Technique section but all bass players seem to live here : >
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LuminousLuminous Frets: 210
    This might sound odd but I think your metronome sound is wrong....it's too long to get you exactly on the beat.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7953
    edited October 2017
    Agree with @Luminous ;;

You're wandering a bit if you're aiming for a perfectly in time performance.

Two tips

1.  Make the metronome more complex, if you can get it to click on the and, so ONE and TWO and, instead of on every beat.  I like to have one that alters in pitch too if possible, so Beat 1 and 3 are high pitched, ands are lowest pitched, and 2 + 4 are medium pitched.  Failing this just going to 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and with a short clicky type sound will be helpful.

2.  Practice much much slower.  It's actually quite difficult to play dead in time with a very slow click, but if you can do it you'll do better as it speeds up too.  It takes a lot of discipline to stay steady when the speed is slow
  • Metronome is a Korg Ma30 seems quite basic, but I'll have root around for the manual. I probably should have used the garageband click. Will try it slower it is actually about 10 bpm slower at the moment but I'll go to half speed.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7953
    edited October 2017
    If you have a smart phone you can probably find an metronome app on it that will do.

The one I have is Metro Timer (full version), on iPhone.  It's fine - can't get as detailed as klopfgeist in Logic but it works for when I don't want to use a computer.

If garageband has klopfgeist then you could just write some clicks in MIDI and alter the sound in klopfgeist to your tastes
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    edited October 2017
    If garageband has klopfgeist then you could just write some clicks in MIDI and alter the sound in klopfgeist to your tastes
    It doesn't. I checked.

I'm a bit rusty timing wise I've tried to work with a metronome. I would be interested in your constructive wisdom.
    Your rustiness reminds me of my brother.  :s

My observation is that you are not nailing the "one" of each bar. If it were not for the metronome, I would have no sense of where each bar begins. 

Part of the problem is that a metronome is strict tempo whereas the drumming on the original artiste recording probably swings, pushes and pulls to create feel. It is a safe bet that Abe's bass guitar part locks in with that drumming.
    Be seeing you.
  • If garageband has klopfgeist then you could just write some clicks in MIDI and alter the sound in klopfgeist to your tastes
    It doesn't. I checked.

I'm a bit rusty timing wise I've tried to work with a metronome. I would be interested in your constructive wisdom.
    Your rustiness reminds me of my brother.  :s

My observation is that you are not nailing the "one" of each bar. If it were not for the metronome, I would have no sense of where each bar begins. 

Part of the problem is that a metronome is strict tempo whereas the drumming on the original artiste recording probably swings, pushes and pulls to create feel. It is a safe bet that Abe's bass guitar part locks in with that drumming.
    Yep, I'm certainly not swinging anything at the mo,  and it is easier to play with a drum track. It would be nice if I could find the original track so I know what to aim for. All I can remember was it was by some crack Jazz Funk outfit.
    Anyway I shall try slowing it down as previously suggested.