To the Composition Challenge participants

What's Hot
TTonyTTony Frets: 27343
Let me have your thoughts on this ...

A lot of the submissions to the challenges is - IMHO - of just about professional standard. 

The composition challenges also have the extra interest of different interpretations on a theme, and often an explanation from those taking part about their thinking, recording process and equipment.

I'd like to get some of that content out to a wider audience - firstly because I think the compositions deserve to be heard more widely, and secondly because I'd hope that the extra exposure might encourage more people to participate.

Mark / Jooky (remember him?) is currently publishing a couple of music-related "things".  One is the guitar quarterly hardback book and the second is his weekly 4:52am e-magazine.

4:52am, being an e-mag, incorporates a lot of rich media rather than just pictures and words.  Talking to Mark, he'd be very happy to feature some of the music-making challenges that we've done here. 

Win for him - gives him some different content that would build into a regular series.
Win for us - gives us more exposure as a forum generally and to the composition challenge specifically.

(Obviously, someone may get offered a mega-£m recording contract when their composition gets heard, but please don't hold your breath waiting for that).

GuitarQuarterly:  https://www.guitarquarterly.co.uk/4-52am/
Current 4:52am:  https://www.452am.co.uk/features/magazine/

What are your thoughts on this generally, and would anyone specifically not like for their work to be included?
Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27343
    As winners of different composition challenges, your tracks could certainly be featured, if you have no objections ...

@jazzlemming ;
    @not_the_dj ;
    @steamabacus ;
    @Lev ;
    @Fretwired ;
    @horse ;
    @kin ;
    @Cabicular ;
    @stratman3142 ;
    @Grunfeld ;

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    TTony said:
    As winners of different composition challenges, your tracks could certainly be featured, if you have no objections ...

@jazzlemming ;
    @not_the_dj ;
    @steamabacus ;
    @Lev ;
    @Fretwired ;
    @horse ;
    @kin ;
    @Cabicular ;
    @stratman3142 ;
    @Grunfeld ;

I have no objection.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • I would really like my entries to be included.

It's also good to hear some info and back story relating to the compositions. I'm always interested in how others approach things. I think my method is quite mundane and scientific and I could learn from the more artistic approach of others like @steamabacus ;
    It's not a competition.
  • kinkin Frets: 1015
    More than happy for you to use anything of mine.
  • I've often thought about giving these a go, but the standard is so high it's a bit intimidating! 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • JasonJason Frets: 1103
    tFB Trader
    I don't solo (at all) but I write songs, if this fits I'd be happy to use one of mine
    The Guitar Show, Cranmore Park, Birmingham | Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | Podcast
  • kinkin Frets: 1015
    @Legionreturns ; dont be put off mate, my playing is well below the standard of the other regulars. It's just a bit of fun.
    Everyone who takes part is very supportive.
  • horsehorse Frets: 1562
    I can't remember actually winning a composition challenge, but I have no objection!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Fine with me. 
  • I'm happy for anything I've submitted to be used.

@Legionreturns  ; Don't be intimidated. we're a supportive bunch and, in my experience, people are usually a lot more creative than they give themselves credit for. I'd love to hear your songs - it's not all about widdly solos! In fact, for the composition challenges you don't even have to use a guitar.
  • LevLev Frets: 228
    I believe the one that I won with was a Night of the Living Dead audio track, I don't think it would necessarily work as a piece without the video as it contained sound FX to go along with the video. Have no objection to the concept though.
    Thanks all for the support
    :)

Of course, if anyone does get offered a £m recording contract once the compositions have been heard by a wider audience, I'll be round for my 20%.

I've often thought about giving these a go, but the standard is so high it's a bit intimidating! 
    @Legionreturns - the "challenge" element in all of these is not so much the challenge to "win", but more it's the personal challenge to actually get something, anything, recorded and submitted. 

It's also a great way to develop, and your learn (well, I did) all sorts of stuff from the mere process of recording and submitting a track.  As you do that month-by-month you suddenly find that you've learned a whole load of stuff and developed completely new skills, that you wouldn't have done without the discipline of actually recording and submitting something.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4027
    @TTony ; no problems.

===
    I miss recording.  My recording computer ist kaput. 
    I didn't realise how much I recorded till I can't do it any more.

An iPad would work @grunfeld - doesn't have to be anything too fancy and powerful ...
  • In the event that I win any of the ones I enter I would gladly allow my entry to participate.  Hopefully this thread will inspire more entries.  

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• I'm definitely considering looking into the possibility that I might contemplate whether or not I may enter one of these now! 

Thanks for the encouraging replies. As you can see, they've helped! ;) 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    When I win you can include mine too  ;)
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.