Why do people ask for TABs in Youtube comments ?

What's Hot
Hello again guys, I've been asking myself this for sometime and I can't figure out why people do this.

Can you guys enlighten me ?

I detailed my question a little more in a video, here it is if you want:
https://youtu.be/e1qmojjaGnU
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• 'cos they can't read?
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CarpeDiemCarpeDiem Frets: 275
    I think it is because some people can work better from tab, regardless of how clear the video is, possibly due to the manner or pace at which they assimilate information. It may also be down to their level of expertise.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • aord43aord43 Frets: 287
    It saves a bit of time.  When I learn something from a video I often make my own notes or tab.  It's easier than click-rewind-click-drag to the right place-click-rewind again-click-etc
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2569
    tFB Trader
    can I get tabs for this video.....
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VeganicVeganic Frets: 673
    Why is this in theory? 

(And not click-bait?)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4947
    That guy has a point. Some people are lazy bastards, they want everything handed to them on a plate..
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• m_cm_c Frets: 1211
    Rocker said:
    That guy has a point. Some people are lazy bastards, they want everything handed to them on a plate..

I resemble that remark!

Although I have been attempting some transcribing lately, but my big problem has always been figuring out rhythm/strumming. I can pick up chords/fingering easy enough, but unless I can get the strumming/picking pattern written down in front of me, I just can't get it. Which in that regard, a TAB is useless, and I need proper sheet music, or at least something that shows the rhythm.

• Veganic said:
    Why is this in theory? 

(And not click-bait?)
    It is in theory because I thought it was the most fitting, where would you have put it ?

Also I didn't find the clickbait thread...
  • Laziness, and the inability to transcribe by ear. Most tabs presented on the internet don't have the rhythm stems either making it harder to know how to play a particular fret number.
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    I think it’s reasonable to ask ‘do you have a tab you’re willing to share’ if you come across something you like online. 

It’s a reasonable assumption that they may have one and be happy to share it (a lot of videos I watch in YouTube the authors happily share tab and link it in the description) 

As a relative newbie I sometimes find it really hard to see what the right hand is doing when the left hand is in clear focus and vice verse, thought normally if I’m that keen to work it out I normally can. 
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    edited October 2017
    I never ask for tab as I struggle to read it, I have to do it by sight or ear. Tab makes sense but doesn't at the same time. 
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• BRISTOL86 said:

It’s a reasonable assumption that they may have one and be happy to share it (a lot of videos I watch in YouTube the authors happily share tab and link it in the description) 

As a relative newbie I sometimes find it really hard to see what the right hand is doing when the left hand is in clear focus and vice verse, thought normally if I’m that keen to work it out I normally can. 
    That's kinda my point actually, I think the reasonable assumption is that if they did have tabs they would share them, therefore if they don't, I can't see how writing a comment would make them share TABs.

I could be wrong though, and as for beginners I don't expect them to figure everything out rapidly, but my point is that if you always ask for tabs your ear training won't progress beyond the beginner level.

Max
  • RoxRox Frets: 2147
    Rocker said:
    Especially in a restaurant.
    10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4159
    Generational thing perhaps, back when I were a lad etc
  • adamm82adamm82 Frets: 448
    edited November 2017
    sometimes when I see something being played I can't quite work it out and a tab helps. one thing that really irritates me is when someone is showing how to play a riff or a solo and they show you part and then start noodling random bits after each section. However I wouldn't ask for tabs
  • There's nothing wrong with asking for tab.  People asking for the tab are more than likely to not be of the required level to be able to work out a given piece of music. 
  • mixolydmixolyd Frets: 826
    Maybe their YouTube buffers like a madman every time they move the cursor a couple of seconds either way.
  • notanonnotanon Frets: 604
    erm . .  . http://lifeofthebeatles.blogspot.co.uk/2010/05/did-beatles-know-how-to-read-music.html

just reminding people ;-) I wouldn't call the Beatles lazy. I would be amazed if they had the opportunity they wouldn't ask for the tabs. Studying music doesn't make musicians but it exposes musicians to ideas. Is there a tab for a theremin? Is it classed as  a musical instrument? Just wondering :-)
  • notanonnotanon Frets: 604
    I am still blown away by people that can read music fluently, give them a couple of hours (or days depending on complexity) and they will master that piece don't have to hear it. Wow!
  • rexobrexob Frets: 3
    BRISTOL86 said:
    I think it’s reasonable to ask ‘do you have a tab you’re willing to share’ if you come across something you like online. 

exactly  im a newby to the guitar playing and have trouble getting my chords right as i have arthritis in both hands so a tab helps me very well,