Gartone ACE 20w 2017 review

What's Hot
Ok so had the amp for a few months now and played a number of gigs so decided it was time for a review.

This amp is a 20 watt handwired 6v6 model, pine cabinet and celestion gold speaker. Has two channels and spring reverb.

Channel 1 has single tone and volume control

Channel 2 has bass, treble and volume control.

I'm really pleased with this purchase. I'm not that experienced with vintage amps so difficult to compare with other models, but I have played a couple of original silverface deluxe models and a tweed deluxe clone. This doesn't directly compare to either and I've have A/B'd it with my friends vintage blackface mod silverface deluxe. There are similarities, but not like for like. brown face maybe? I wouldn't know.

Channel 1 does this amazing warm tone, especially with my 335. You get can that jazz sound and go right through to crunch. There is a hint of tweed tone in there. I love this channel at home volumes. You can push it and break it up still.

Channel 2 is a little more aggressive, crunchy and slightly louder. Somewhere between blackface and tweed. I can get clean at a pretty good small gig volume but push the guitar volume and tones up on the amp and it breaks up lovely. 

This amp reacts so well with the guitar volume you don't really need a drive pedal for blues etc. It can also chime for country and 50s rock n roll and go to stones and clapton heaven when pushed. Bass is really tight and never flabby.

The really amazing thing is how you can have the tones on zero to full with a really usable sound and tone at any setting. No harshness at all. Same with the reverb. With it on max it is still usable..fender surf music heaven but never drowning.

The build quality is first class. Beautifully made. 

No Footswitch, no fuss, nice simple box of tone. Weight is 19kg. Easy to transport.

Any negatives?

I would of liked a trem but martin advised the circuit doesn't suit it and it would reduce the tone. So fair enough. I bought a swamp thang pedal.

Prob not suited to somebody looking for pure fender glassy clean tone at gig volume..This has a little warmer character to me and mid breakup. I think the amp suits humbuckers on any setting. Single coils need to be dialled in a little more but once you are there it is fab.

The sound is so clear that it is unforgiving...It highlights all my sloppy playing

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ft6ahvjjo0gs6u9/20170603_125220.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s1qpkmm0frcciri/20170603_125244.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dq80exisj7g201x/20170603_125300.jpg?dl=0

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2569
    tFB Trader
    picture links are broken?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Really? Work for me. I'll try again.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    edited October 2017
  • Cracking review...thanks a lot. I love the look of this amp. I know the quality of Martin's work from encounters with one of his Tweeds, top class kit. 

20170603_125220jpg

20170603_125244jpg

20170603_125300jpg

Hope you don't mind me patching your photos from your dropbox? 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • joehindley103joehindley103 Frets: 16
    edited October 2017
    Of course not. Thanks for the feedback.

I hope to attempt some sound and video clips when I get chance. It's a thing of beauty.

I intended on buying a Carr sportsman or a vintage deluxe reverb. After trying both and then this it was an easy decision...its just got it's own wonderful character
  • BradBrad Frets: 658
    edited October 2017
    I've already got two of his amps, they're works of art. I need to try one of these new amps soon!
  • Which have you got brad? I was particularly taken with the jewel but I need the extra watts and headroom...I've played a stage master too. Great amps
  • BradBrad Frets: 658
    Which have you got brad? I was particularly taken with the jewel but I need the extra watts and headroom...I've played a stage master too. Great amps
    I've got a Regal 45 head, I've got slightly different preamp valves than what is standard, (to make it a little more 'Fender-like') and a Jewel (the discontinued version) that I use for rehearsals, small gigs or I mic up when space is at a premium. I've got a Celestion Gold in that, just to help keep things together when I use a semi. 

Apart from the new designs, I've played a lot of his other amps too and they're just fantastic across the board. Martin is the real deal and a top guy.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16003
    The Bluesman is comfortably better than a Lazy J to my ears...........it just seems to have more balls and grit
  • My ACE 20 has got better and better as I've run it in. Love the thing
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16003
    The more I play Gartone amps the more I am amazed by how good they are
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • peanutspeanuts Frets: 179
    edited April 2021
    Dominic said:
    The Bluesman is comfortably better than a Lazy J to my ears...........it just seems to have more balls and grit
    completely agree with @Dominic on this - had the J20 & J40 at one point way back ( Jesse is a gentleman) but now having had a secondhand Bluesman for a while, would be one of the last amps I’d ever part with. So impressed. Martin is now working on a 6g3 commission - he is most definitely also a splendid gentleman & the real deal as others observed!