Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Acoustics get expensive very quickly.......

What's Hot

Comments

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11788
    I can see why folk like the balance of the L model but body looks too big for me an OM still sounded good.
    whatever sounds better to you while you are playing it is the one to get

some prefer smaller ones to play through a PA, or because they are easier to mic up, but if your primary intention is playing at home, go for what sounds good to you. I like extra bass, and I use less nail and more skin on the bass strings, which may be why larger bodies work for me 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • There's a guy in Dundee called Rob Mitchell, never played one but this one of his in this video

https://www.mitchellguitars.co.uk
  • That was brill, will check that too!
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11411
    That's very interesting! I'll check them out..

However if (!) I do this now I think I'll lean toward a UK builder to avoid duty. Might be cool to have a Scottish made one.
    remember this chap too, but you'll need to seek reviews, I don't know how good his stuff is:
    http://www.moonguitars.co.uk/

I played a Moon Dreadnought in Ivor Mairants severeal years ago that was superb.  Would compete with anything I've ever played.  I've played one or two others that were good but didn't seem to have what that one had.
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3489
    edited October 2017
    I played a one Jimmy Moon guitar which was very nice, I think it had Pau Ferro back and sides?  Jimmy Moon's based in Glasgow so it could be a trip to visit.

Two of the most famous Scottish luthiers are Bill Kelday & Taran (Rory Dowling).  Kelday starts from £4.5k, Taran a bit less but not far from that.  Kelday is in the Martin style/traditional side of things, Taran more in the Sobell side of things. 
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1534
    And a Bailey acoustic course is now about 2.5k i think. Minimal resale value but you would end up with a stunning instrument, a greater understanding of what makes an acoustic guitar, a truly customisable instrument and a fantastic experience. No i dont work for them, just enthusiastically supportive :)

Adam
  • AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
    OMFG, a soul mate - I’ve found a soul mate not only that but a uk forum that allows this kind of discussion without massed personal attacks.
    First up is playing style - pretty much with ya on that TC.
    Body size (guitar) I play seated and (was) six feet before gravity started getting the better of me, so I like the jumbo / SJ body as my right upper arm lays on the lower bout and my right hand falls over the sound hole where it can move back or forward to modify tone. - see my vids.
    In saying that I got a wee 000 far east made for a knock about - it plays and sound very good though I may try a 2 to three inch ‘pad’ on the lower bout - to raise my arm to my preferred position.
    My hit list  / meh list, would be similar to yours TC - well as near as damn it, I'v had two from your prefered list for a looooong time.
    A thing that I instantly recognize is string plane lay out and how it ‘works’ with neck / fingerboard - that can define what the instrument will allow me to do (without thinking about my l/h).
    I was in Devon a good few years ago and visited the Brook workshop, they coincidentally were getting ready for some guitar show and gad amassed over a dozen of their instruments and although Im not a parlor kinda guy I preferred what they were doing with wee body’d guitars to their bigger instruments.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4423
    edited October 2017
    It seems for a sweet, sweet sound... Cedar top... Rosewood/mahogany neck & sides (though maple gets a good shout)... 12 fret (though not sure if 12 fret cutaway (for access) would compromise that sound.. not sure if fingerboard wood matters that much.  

Ergonomics...
    Body size ... Has to be om or smaller for me.
    Neck shape & fretboard flatness - I can't comment. Too round isn't my thing. Too flat seems like an electric.

Of course I need to go play more more more..
  • You're making a fair bit of progress with your research even since we met on Tuesday..............and yes, play as many different makes as you can
  • @AuldReekie what woods are the McIlroy.. and the 12 fret Forster's you have? That 12 fret model did sound damn good. 
  • All my acoustics are spruce/rosewood combinations; the 14 fret Forster has Brazillian rosewood
  • Aha, thanks for the info :) well those two guitars in particular.. sound brilliant. 
    Tom: When going out trying and also after buying acoustics, the other thing to be aware of is string tension: each acoustic guitar is (intentionally or not) suited to a certain amount of tension on the top: so strings too tight or too loose will make a difference
    Most are fine with 11s, which I use, but I think some will need thicker strings to bring out the best sound (12s or 13s - always best to ask).
    Because I use 11s, when I drop the bottom E to D, it loses tension, and the tone, so I use thicker gauges for dropped strings when I use alternate tunings, or instead of DADGAD, I use one semitone up from DADGAD: which maintains roughly  the same overall tension on the top

As a dramatic example of this, my tenor guitar (23 inch 4 string) arrived tuned CGDA, which is the standard tuning, the dedicated set for which is: D’addario J66 Bronze: 10, 14, 22, 32 (v. high tension on A and D). This set is so tight, that I broke 50% of the top 2 strings I fitted whilst tuning up for the first time (I never break any strings normally, I have electrics with the same strings on for years). In addition, the tension is so high that those 2 top strings are much louder than the 2 bass strings, and are very shrill and piercing, which could work well in a pub jam, but sounds pretty awful on its own. Changing to 32 / 20 / 12 / 8, the strings stop breaking, and it sounds better. However, it sounds much better tuned down 2 semitones to:  A# F C G (using 32/34, 22, 13, 10), much woodier and balanced

Also, shops can't afford to restring acoustics frequently, so many on display have strings that have gone dull, so when trying out brands, keep an eye out for that. Some brands come with coated strings, so are more predictable, e.g. Taylor I think.
    I think this is my favourite thread of 2017

As a consequence I currently have a lovely Avalon tuned in DAAEAE

I like to have a few guitars left in different tunings, I find it very inspiring to just wing it with each of them, instead of playing in one tuning that I know well all the time.
    If it's good enough for Joni Mitchell....

• ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6090
    tFB Trader

I like to have a few guitars left in different tunings, I find it very inspiring to just wing it with each of them, instead of playing in one tuning that I know well all the time.

Well thanks very much! I have used the info in this thread to great effect. I’ve ordered a custom 000 acoustic guitar that should be ready towards the end of 2018. I really can’t wait. 
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7349
    ThorpyFX said:

Well thanks very much! I have used the info in this thread to great effect. I’ve ordered a custom 000 acoustic guitar that should be ready towards the end of 2018. I really can’t wait. 
    Tell us more! 
    Red ones are better. 
  • ThorpyFX said:

Who's the maker? 

Speak more of your commission!  What specs did you go for? 
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6090
    tFB Trader
    ThorpyFX said:

Who's the maker? 

I’ve gone for A UK made Brook Taw, macasssar ebony back and sides. Ebony Fretboard, ebony fascia.  The rest of tte details haven’t been fixed yet... cant wait though
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7349
    ThorpyFX said:
    ThorpyFX said:

Who's the maker? 

I’ve gone for A UK made Brook Taw, macasssar ebony back and sides. Ebony Fretboard, ebony fascia.  The rest of tte details haven’t been fixed yet... cant wait though
    Them's nice - played a couple at Intersound Music - I'd happily have one! (I'd probably get a OM scale length) 
    Red ones are better. 
  • ThorpyFX said:

WINNER. 

I love Brook Guitars, played about 10-15 of them and they have all been wonderful.  

Good choice @ThorpyFX ;