Comments

• MatthewShredderyMatthewShreddery Frets: 861
    edited June 2015
    Plus I'm modest too ;)
    edited because I sounded way too up my own ass
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10645
    edited December 2017
    Lol - it's cool, all good banter. Look, we agree it can be in either, right? There's not something inherent in DCGG that means it has to be in one or the other. I-bVII-IV-IV is just as valid as V-IV-I-I. Many people hear it in G. Many people hear it in D. The home-ness of it must be fairly ambivolent. It must be a 49/51 situation otherwise we'd all be agreeing.

I can easily play that song in a way that the G-ers will flip and hear it in D. And I can play it in a way that you would say it's in G.

I think the various performances we're hearing are on a bit of a knife edge, but the difference is still perceivable. And to me they make enough of a difference to change the key. I still think the original one has its home in D and its holiday chalet in G by the way.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • All good.
    I don't think I'll ever hear this in G.
    The chords are what they are.
    I think people are mistaking the tension on the G chord as some kind of resolution but oh well.
  • koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4125
    @GuyBoden I hear them thus: 
    1 = G 
    2= G 
    3= E 
    4= C 

When you take three chords and vamp them, it'll usually be the first chord that defines the tonal centre of the vamp. 
    It matters not that those chords may be from another key.

To me as a non technical guy, I hear them as 
     C 
    C
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10357
    At the end of the day it doesn't really matter. The only way it might catch you out is if you have to dep for a band and you ask what key they are playing it in. Because if someone told me they played sweet home Alabama in D I would expect the very chord to be an A if you see what I mean

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Die thread, die!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RoxRox Frets: 2147
    Gee, SHA will never die, Matthew - NEVER!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!

• vizviz Frets: 10645
    Rox said:
    Gee

Or D
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Die thread, die!

You cannot kill this. This, Like Keef, Lemmy and cockroaches will survive armageddon :))

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• RoxRox Frets: 2147
    viz said:
    Rox said:
    Gee

Or D
    That would be Dee - and he was in Twisted Sister, not Lynyrd Skynrd.
  • mr-macmr-mac Frets: 200
    Yep I guess G is right answer....  But starts on D..  Easy way, look up sheet music and see what key is on it...

however it's kinda become normal to say such & such in and hove a key but really we mean starting on this chord as a quick way to tell band especially if we are changing keys.

Same as every freeking, blasted time I go to play "Sweet Little 16" I'll say sweet little 16 in D and rest of house band at jam/open mic go... Don't ya mean A??? No I freeking don't I mean D... Try doing a r&r/blues solo on 5th fret as if your in A and tell me how ya get on.....
  • The first solo, First 4 bars
    D- D major triad 
    C - He plays a line that use C Mixolydian scale
    G - G Major Scale

I would say the key is in G Major

I would use G Major Penatonic/Eminor Pentatonic and put is the Blues (b5) of the Em pentatonic scale. Sounds really cool over the C chord as its not supposed be there! Nice
  • The first solo, First 4 bars
    D- D major triad 
    C - He plays a line that use C Mixolydian scale
    G - G Major Scale

I would say the key is in G Major

I would use G Major Penatonic/Eminor Pentatonic and put is the Blues (b5) of the Em pentatonic scale. Sounds really cool over the C chord as its not supposed be there! Nice
    The b5 of Em is Bb which is the 7th of C. That very much *is* supposed to be there and why it sounds so good over the C chord. 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10357
    edited November 2017
    After a huge amount of self assurance, then self doubt I can now definitively  state the key of Sweet Home Alabama is -1 

G \ D 

There, settled and everybody is happy

Or is it D \G .............

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Danny1969 said:
    After a huge amount of self assurance, then self doubt I can now definitively  state the key of Sweet Home Alabama is -1 

G \ D 

There, settled and everybody is happy

Or is it D \G .............

You missed out C Lydian as an option :)
    It's not a competition.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Is now a good time to point out that comparing SHA and SCOM is just daft? Never mind whatever key SHA is or isn't in, it's 100% clear that SCOM isn't in D....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom