Teenage Engineering OP-1... anyone have one?

What's Hot
I have a growing want for one. Thoughts to talk me in / out of one welcomed. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5845
    I would love one, but i just cant afford it :(
  • They are a big ol’ wedge of cash. I think I’d take it to work with me so that I can write in my lunch breaks etc. Either an inspired purchase, or a huge white elephant. 
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    Did you read the SoundonSound review? Aparrently they are like Keira Knightley.

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/teenage-engineering-op1
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Did you read the SoundonSound review? Aparrently they are like Keira Knightley.

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/teenage-engineering-op1
    Quite the positive review!
  • I found them overly fiddly to programme, but that might just be my lack of synth experience. The Korg Volca series are small and light enough to throw in a bag, although possibly too big to muck about with at work, depends on your work
  • I found them overly fiddly to programme, but that might just be my lack of synth experience. The Korg Volca series are small and light enough to throw in a bag, although possibly too big to muck about with at work, depends on your work
    Did you own one?
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3419
    edited October 2017
    Isn't there an OP-z coming soon? Might see some price drops if so?

I wanted one then tested the water with some POs first and that put me right off :)
  • Isn't there an OP-z coming soon? Might see some price drops if so?
    They seem to be on back order in most places at the minute (OP-1) so any reductions may be a while down the line. I think they might have been reduced on Black Friday before. 
    Did you own one?
    Sadly not, I've tried the drum machine and robot ones several times, and even had a tutorial from the guy in wunjo keys for about 20 minutes on it and just struggled to get anything done with it. I'd certainly try before you buy if possible.

I love the sounds but the functionality wasn't there for me, so I sprung for the korgs.
  • shrinkwrapshrinkwrap Frets: 512
    edited October 2017
    Check out the latest Gadget Show, they get the Hoosiers to try one against two other musical things (the other things were a bit crap though)  - they liked it. It looks pretty cool if not bargain priced.
    They seem to be on back order in most places at the minute (OP-1) so any reductions may be a while down the line. I think they might have been reduced on Black Friday before. 
    I had a camelcamelcamel alert on Amazon last year and they got down to around 600 quid at one point.
    I had a camelcamelcamel alert on Amazon last year and they got down to around 600 quid at one point.
    Oof. I’m very tempted by one. 
  • I'm interested in one also, but they are too much cash for me right now.
    I did get a Novation Circuit earlier in the year and that's great as a "Sketch Pad" but can also do some great full tracks. There are loads of YouTube videos on this!
    Circuit has 2 Novation Nova Synths and a Drum/Sample section too. They are also still doing Firmware updates for it and squeezing everything they can out of it. But if you are going to carry it around get a decent case for it as the Encoders aren't very "Travel Safe"
    If you want great OP-1 Videos check out Red Means Recording on YouTube. 
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6101
    An OP-1 looks like it would suit me so well for in-flight and sofa-side stuff (where it would replace the iPad_iStudio setup I've been trying to gel with). But every time I look at the videos to suss out the workflow, I start to lose the will to live.

(The problem may be me, obvs.)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • racefaceec90racefaceec90 Frets: 992
    edited November 2017
    can i offer another option to think about (nothing against the op-1 btw apart from the huge price)

you can get a couple of korg apps for the nintendo 3ds  

http://www.korg.com/uk/products/synthesizers/korg_dsn12/  ;

http://www.korg.com/uk/products/synthesizers/korg_m01d/

one is based on the korg ms-10 synth with 3d oscilloscope and the other is based on the korg m1 synth.

i just recently bought a 3ds and plan on buying both apps (knowing nothing about synths i have to confess)

from some of the demos on yt though you can do amazing things with them. 

it will be a lot cheaper for one thing but you will be able to do a lot with them as they are proper synths with sequencers e.t.c 

edit the 3ds has a touchscreen as well as a bigh main 3d screen so you can do stuff that you cannot on op-1 (make waveforms with the stylus in real time i think as well as other things) 

edit 2  actually come to think of it the 3ds would be a bloody awesome portable synth as it has surround sound speakers and a mic. if a synth company bought out a synth that was made for 3ds and all it's features it would be fantastic (sampling on the fly).   

i like cake :-) here's my youtube channel   https://www.youtube.com/user/racefaceec90 

• Also worth considering is the Critter & Guitari Organelle for about £400. It works on the concept of patches, programmed in Pure Data. You can connect a screen, keyboard and mouse to it to write the programs, and there is a big community and lots of patches to try. You can plug a sound source, guitar for example, and it's possible to program some guitar effects with it.

Not really the same thing in that I don't think you can write and record an entire track with it, but something with interesting possibilities.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 919
    Think portability and the all encompassing nature is it's main selling point outside of the gorgeous aesthetic. Whether it would be as intuitive/easy as a simple home/kitchen table set up is hard to say. But if it was £400, I'd have one tomorrow.
  • gusman2x said:
    Think portability and the all encompassing nature is it's main selling point outside of the gorgeous aesthetic. Whether it would be as intuitive/easy as a simple home/kitchen table set up is hard to say. But if it was £400, I'd have one tomorrow.
    Almost exactly my thoughts too 
  • bean7bean7 Frets: 44
    I got one a couple of years ago, on holiday in the US - its brilliant for travelling, long plane journeys etc. I think it was probably a bit cheaper then. The design and build quality is in a league of it's own, it's seriously well made. I have no other synth gear btw, I just use it for messing about and occasionally recording etc.