Washburn MG-42: a blast from the 90’s

What's Hot
MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 2992
edited October 2017 in Guitar

I present my Washburn MG-42. I’ve had this guitar for at least 20 years, bought new from Salop Music Centre for around £300. It was my sole electric since getting a Strat last year. I’ve been holding on to it for silly sentimental reasons, but it’s time to get rid as I never play it. I was in a metal phase when I bought it, its great for shredding with a wide neck, but it really does not suit my playing style and I’m not a fan of the floyd rose ‘licenced’ trem, and this contributed to me not playing at all for a few years. If only I had bought a Strat back then instead......

Before I sell it I want to ask if anyone has any info, as there is little online. I know its made in korea, has a four piece body, and coil split humbuckers. I doubt it’s worth much, but I wonder how this guitar was considered, good bad or average? Perhaps someond used to own one back in the good old 90’s?  

https://i.imgur.com/FVKWaHb.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/CIgVb8X.jpg
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• cpcompanycpcompany Frets: 126
    Remember Sound Control in Newcastle had plenty of these and Nuno Bettencourts guitars.  Washburn were always considered canny guitars, at least for metal anyway.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7349
    The Washburn I always wanted back then was the KC90

Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    The Mercury's are fantastic, I've got two, a MG72 and JohnA's MG74  which I bought last year although I've never found either in a brochure or online with their paint jobs, the 72 is trans green and the 74 is black sparkle. The trems are made for Washburn by Schaller. Had Photobucket not committed commercial suicide I'd put some pictures up.
    edited October 2017
  • The  Mg’s were a solid body some of the cheaper kc’s were a laminate body, floyds were branded Washburn under licence and poor quality pickups ok ish
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • @Garthy nice! looks like a big step up from the mg-42. Do you know what the neck radius is on these?
  • The  Mg’s were a solid body some of the cheaper kc’s were a laminate body, floyds were branded Washburn under licence and poor quality pickups ok ish
    Thanks, I do wonder what a trem and pickup upgrade would do to this guitar. Or just block it off as I have trouble keeping it in tune. I’ve never really got my head round setting the fr trem up properly. 
    @Garthy nice! looks like a big step up from the mg-42. Do you know what the neck radius is on these?
    I doubt this is a million miles off:

http://www.axebition.com/electric-guitar/washburn-mercury-mg90

• JetfireJetfire Frets: 1687
    I always fancied one of those!!

And then I got the Ibanez catalogue..... 
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Garthy said:
    The Mercury's are fantastic, I've got two, a MG72 and JohnA's MG74  which I bought last year although I've never found either in a brochure or online with their paint jobs, the 72 is trans green and the 74 is black sparkle. The trems are made for Washburn by Schaller. Had Photobucket not committed commercial suicide I'd put some pictures up.
    Hi there, didn't realise you were on the forum.

they are great guitars, but unfortunately not great when you're selling them.  I've got a mg-821 which has been on ebay for weeks with little interest.  Might just keep it :)
  • John_A said:
    Garthy said:

they are great guitars, but unfortunately not great when you're selling them.  I've got a mg-821 which has been on ebay for weeks with little interest.  Might just keep it :)

No interest for £250? And that's the top of the range, right?

Do you think I could get  £100 for mine or would that be pushing it? Going to sell on local facebook gear page,  don't want to deal with postage.

John_A said:
    Garthy said:

Do you think I could get  £100 for mine or would that be pushing it? Going to sell on local facebook gear page,  don't want to deal with postage.

You don't know until you try, although if you think you'll only get £100 for it why not upgrade the bridge to a OFR? Lets face it if you were going to build a partscaster £100 doesn't buy much and you've already got a great neck and the body is quite handy too.
  • adamm82adamm82 Frets: 448
    edited October 2017
    cpcompany said:
    Remember Sound Control in Newcastle had plenty of these and Nuno Bettencourts guitars.  Washburn were always considered canny guitars, at least for metal anyway.
    strangely Costco sell Washburn guitars. 
    they've had some at good prices in the past. theyare selling the Nuno N4 relic. not much of a discount but an odd thing to see.

http://www.costco.co.uk/view/c/electronics-computers/music/guitars

• siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    I had an mg74 years ago bought it new for £449. I've been nostalgic over it and nearly bought one again a couple of times on eBay.. they tend to go about £150-175. The mg42 should get a ton I'd have thought on eBay.. or a bit more.

The mg I always wanted I forget the model number but they're the top of the tree of the mg series....made in USA. Don't know how much they were new guessing a over grand ish but seen one of those a few months ago that was on for £450....i was tempted but resisted...took a few weeks before that one sold as well. I think Ibanez RG's are too similar and probably a bit better well RG550 and up.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    John_A said:
    Garthy said:

I'd stick it up for £150, it looks in great condition and it's certainly worth that, you never know!
    John_A said:
    Garthy said:

Did you sell this in the end?
    John_A said:
    Garthy said:

I forgot to ask you earlier- what's the bridge pickup on 'ours'? I noticed it doesn't have the W from the stock pick ups but didn't fancy taking it apart to find out.
  • Garthy said:
    John_A said:
    Garthy said:

they are great guitars, but unfortunately not great when you're selling them.  I've got a mg-821 which has been on ebay for weeks with little interest.  Might just keep it

Did you sell this in the end?
    No haven’t got round to it yet, been trying to sell a Marshall 8040 locally without luck yet. 
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    I had one in 1993. The neck moved. Cars pro retail gave me a credit note I seek to recall. Never had a positive Washburn experience 
  • jeztone2 said:
    I had one in 1993. The neck moved. Cars pro retail gave me a credit note I seek to recall. Never had a positive Washburn experience 

Unlucky, the neck on mine has been solid the whole time. There is a neck pocket crack though, don't know if it's just the paint or deeper.

Mine would be far better with a proper Floyd Rose. With the licensed trem, it never seems so stay in tune after some whammy-ing and I'm always fiddling with the fine tuners.