My First Open Mic Night

What's Hot
BlackjackBlackjack Frets: 227
Well, I did it!! Last night I played my first open mic night and I bloody loved it!!

I went to one that said it was a small group at a local village pub and was beginner friendly.  I got there in plenty of time to find that it was actually held in a back room at the pub rather than in the bar.  They were a very friendly bunch of people who gave me a very warm welcome and made me feel very relaxed.  They asked if I had any preference to when I played and I said that I would like to play maybe second or third after the initial warm up singalong that they do.  

When end my turn came I was so nervous but thought "well, I just have to go for it".  It was far from my best performance, I didn't sing out like I normally do and my playing was rather ragged but none the less I did it!  I got through both songs without crashing and burning or freezing.  Yes, I could have done it better (but then I am always going to think that I hope because if I don't it means I am just being conceited), yes I was nervous as hell but..... I BLOODY LOVED IT!!!!

Next time I won't be so nervous, I will make sure I am better rehearsed and will look forward to it.  if I am honest it is more of a club than what I know as a true open mic night but it's a good starting point.  My game plan now is to do their one at the end of November and then after Christmas I am going to do a proper open mic in the bar of a pub to push me a bit further.

thank you all for your support and encouragement leading up to last night.  I can't stop smiling today! 
0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8592
    Well done. It’s a marvellous buzz, and it gets better from now on.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Awesome stuff! Well done! 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    So, next Jam then? Do hope so :)
  • PlectrumPlectrum Frets: 494
    Well done @Blackjack ; :)
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
  • vizviz Frets: 10647
    Awesome :)
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71963

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9553
    edited October 2017
    Well done. Glad you had fun :-)
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1763
    Well done for getting out there and playing @Blackjack - it's such a buzz playing live.
    What were the songs you played?

Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • be careful, it can be very addictive and you will be fighting the women off before long
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9553
    edited October 2017
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    be careful, it can be very addictive and you will be fighting the women off before long
    *cough* or the men...!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BlackjackBlackjack Frets: 227
    Thanks loads guys.  Sadly I don't think I am 'fighting off the men' material - Tele slung round my neck or not lol
    One thing I have learnt is how relatively few really good songs there are out there that are written to be sung by women or are suitable to change the words of. I guess that's the price you pay as a woman wanting to play guitar.  Most people expect you to only do pop/country/folk songs and whilst there are good songs to be found in each of those genres it is more limiting. 
    Regardless of everything, it was a great thing to do and I can't wait to do it again! 
  • be careful, it can be very addictive and you will be fighting the women off before long
    *cough* or the men...!
    sorry, didnt realise, just assumed.  anyway, its great fun and often leads to other musical adventures
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8592
    Which songs did you play?
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    Blackjack said:
    Thanks loads guys.  Sadly I don't think I am 'fighting off the men' material - Tele slung round my neck or not lol
    One thing I have learnt is how relatively few really good songs there are out there that are written to be sung by women or are suitable to change the words of. I guess that's the price you pay as a woman wanting to play guitar.  Most people expect you to only do pop/country/folk songs and whilst there are good songs to be found in each of those genres it is more limiting. 
    Regardless of everything, it was a great thing to do and I can't wait to do it again! 
    Pretenders, Texas, Annie lennox/The Tourists, Pat Benetar, Heart.

Don't limit yourself to the artist or even the genre, a good song is a good song. Take it and make it your own.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • aord43aord43 Frets: 287
    ESBlonde said:
    Blackjack said:
    Pretenders, Texas, Annie lennox/The Tourists, Pat Benetar, Heart.

Don't limit yourself to the artist or even the genre, a good song is a good song. Take it and make it your own.

KT Tunstall, Sheryl Crow

I am sure there are loads of possibilities.