Been offered a bass... should I bite 'is 'and off?

What's Hot

Comments

• BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Fine pick there @Bucket. ;

Really enjoyed listening to that and a few other of their tracks.  Immense creativity and totally bonkers.
    I've gone off them to an extent - it really is too full-on a lot of the time, but in small doses they are still very enjoyable. The playing is beyond belief - among the most complex and involved death metal I've ever heard - but they manage to retain their melodicism... I suppose that's the classical influence coming in.

That album has Christian Muenzner on guitar, who would go on to join Obscura. I think he has some kind of hand condition now which makes it difficult for him to play, which is a real shame. He was a truly monstrous guitarist - my favourite solo of his comes in at 2:38 in this track.

- "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14324
    DLM said:
    currently set up as a Lord of the High Cs. (No low B on the bottom, a high C on top.)
    Gotta wonder why the ATK is strung that way.

It is possible that the current owner needs the high range for the music being played. It is also possible that BEADG tuning was tried and found unsatisfactory. i.e. The low B string felt floppy - relegating it to becoming a flexible thumb rest. It is also possible that, without recourse to active EQ, the low end lacked definition. 
    Be seeing you.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    Look on the bright side, at least it's probably not like a Washburn 5-string I had to repair once… which was tuned EADGC.

But strung with standard BEADG strings :).

To its great credit, 'repairing' it consisted simply of tuning it back down and setting it up - there was actually nothing wrong with the neck, even though it had looked like a bow and arrow when it came in.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    Update: The bass is now in the country. I believe it comes with a hard case. And apparently I can bring it home to try, buy only if I want it, no questions asked. Wikkid! If this comes off, I'll post pics...
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Do it! Do it!
    Looks amazing, apart from the fact it appears to have an extra string on there??!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    All the reddish surfaces are where a previous owner has covered up plastics and metals with sticky-back wood-look plastic. It's very neatly done.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    The de-fret is also *very* neatly done - no evidence of the usual chipping where the fret tangs have come out at all.

You need to cut off the thread windings from the strings to behind the nut, or it will deaden the sound of the open strings. (Although you might not notice much on a fretless.)

Nice to see flatwounds on it too - or maybe groundwounds, I can't quite tell. Roundwounds will wreck that nice fingerboard in a matter of minutes...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

ICBM said:

Nice to see flatwounds on it too - or maybe groundwounds, I can't quite tell. Roundwounds will wreck that nice fingerboard in a matter of minutes...
    Blue thread windings are usually Chromes

@ICBM Yeah, the de-fret has been very well executed, that was the first thing I looked at.

I'd not noticed the thread deadening the open strings at all, but I'm starting at zero in playing a fretless instrument (almost, I have played cellos we've had hanging around the house a bit).

These are flats, I think.

DLM said:

@ICBM Yeah, the de-fret has been very well executed, that was the first thing I looked at.

I'd not noticed the thread deadening the open strings at all, but I'm starting at zero in playing a fretless instrument (almost, I have played cellos we've had hanging around the house a bit).

These are flats, I think.

I would say they are def. Daddario Chromes (flats) and probably 45-105
    @Bridgehouse I see your brain is still editing out the fifth (in this case, skinniest) string! ;)
    Hah! No more likely it's thicker
    Hah! No more likely it's thicker
    @Bridgehouse
    DLM said:

Oh, I forgot: currently set up as a Lord of the High Cs. (No low B on the bottom, a high C on top.)

So whatever the C is, it's thinner than a 45. :)
    DLM said:
    @Bridgehouse
    DLM said:

Oh, I forgot: currently set up as a Lord of the High Cs. (No low B on the bottom, a high C on top.)

So whatever the C is, it's thinner than a 45. :)
    Haha! I see no string... ;)
    I've been told I have to get an octave pedal to go with this. I've always fancied a POG, would that do the same job?

Well, it sounded great through this:

https://orangeamps.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/AD200-BASS-MK3-1-1030x1030.png

So I'm gonna buy it, I think.

DLM said:

Well, it sounded great through this:

https://orangeamps.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/AD200-BASS-MK3-1-1030x1030.png

So I'm gonna buy it, I think.

Nice amps, those orange heads..