Analogman Sunlion...

What's Hot
jfraze5150jfraze5150 Frets: 262
Stupidly sold one on here a couple years ago, funnily enough to a certain British boutique pedal maker that he used as, ahem, research for his own take on it... veterans around here will maybe know who I mean. 

Anyway, want one and so far can’t find one second hand.

Bought direct from Analog Mike, it’s coming out at around $400 including postage. Pretty decent! But does anyone know how much import duty I’ll be charged on that? 

Cheers! 
F
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6053
    20% + £15 is about right.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9513
    JezWynd said:
    20% + £15 is about right.
    Spot on
  • Awesome, thank you very much. 

Hmm. So comes out at £380 then. Hoping to get a 2nd hand one for about the £320 mark. 
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1819
    edited October 2017
    Why don't you just buy one of the veterans on sale in the classifieds @jfraze5150 ? Probably better IMO  Or even the silicon ones as they are cheaper
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • I enquired about the recent one but it’s sold already. Definitely don’t want the Si one as the best thing about the Ge one (Sunlion I had) was how it cleaned up. Also, as a point of principle, I don’t want to spend £400 on a pedal because they are limited in number. I sold ThorpyFX the Sunlion in question for around £320 if I recall. Spending £400 on his clone of it (regardless of whether it’s better or worse) would annoy me. Also, I have a nano pedal board. The ThorpyFX pedals are large and, in my opinion, don’t look nearly as cool as the Analogman originals. 

Just my opinion but spending double the RRP on something because they are ‘limited’ and because of internet message board hype would make me feel like a chump. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • antifashantifash Frets: 603
    I enquired about the recent one but it’s sold already. Definitely don’t want the Si one as the best thing about the Ge one (Sunlion I had) was how it cleaned up. Also, as a point of principle, I don’t want to spend £400 on a pedal because they are limited in number. I sold ThorpyFX the Sunlion in question for around £320 if I recall. Spending £400 on his clone of it (regardless of whether it’s better or worse) would annoy me. Also, I have a nano pedal board. The ThorpyFX pedals are large and, in my opinion, don’t look nearly as cool as the Analogman originals. 

Just my opinion but spending double the RRP on something because they are ‘limited’ and because of internet message board hype would make me feel like a chump. 
    Wisdom duly awarded. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    I enquired about the recent one but it’s sold already. Definitely don’t want the Si one as the best thing about the Ge one (Sunlion I had) was how it cleaned up. Also, as a point of principle, I don’t want to spend £400 on a pedal because they are limited in number. I sold ThorpyFX the Sunlion in question for around £320 if I recall. Spending £400 on his clone of it (regardless of whether it’s better or worse) would annoy me. Also, I have a nano pedal board. The ThorpyFX pedals are large and, in my opinion, don’t look nearly as cool as the Analogman originals. 

Limited edition bollocks
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6118
    edited October 2017 tFB Trader

Thats a tad unfair don't you think?

The Veteran is not a clone of the Sunlion, its not even a clone of the circuits the sunlion is a 100% clone of. I buy pedals that are close to what i am trying to output because they act as benchmarks, hence why i bought the sunlion. I have lots of pedals in and around the things I am currently developing. Not one of my pedal designs is a direct clone, please don't insinuate that.

However, I can understand you not wanting to spend more than the RRP on a pedal. That being said, it hasn't been been hyped, the fact I am not making them and people do like them seems to have driven up the price. I don't particularly like that they have gotten out of the reach of some people, but supply and demand  (0 supply, some demand) has dictated things.

Would you feel like a chump of you'd bought a Klon for £400 years ago? probably not because they now sell for £1200-£2000. For a pedal that was released to the tune of about 8000 units, thats astonishing. FWIW I doubt Ill reach that stratosphere of dizzy Gas Induced inflation, but one can hope....  
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7391
    Stupidly sold one on here a couple years ago, funnily enough to a certain British boutique pedal maker that he used as, ahem, research for his own take on it... veterans around here will maybe know who I mean. 

Bought direct from Analog Mike, it’s coming out at around $400 including postage. Pretty decent! But does anyone know how much import duty I’ll be charged on that? 

Cheers! 
    F
    Last pedal I bought from AnalogMan had the value on the package as $50 so the duty was calculated on that. 
    Red ones are better. 
  • ThorpyFX said:

Thats a tad unfair don't you think?

The Veteran is not a clone of the Sunlion, its not even a clone of the circuits the sunlion is a 100% clone of. I buy pedals that are close to what i am trying to output because they act as benchmarks, hence why i bought the sunlion. I have lots of pedals in and around the things I am currently developing. Not one of my pedal designs is a direct clone, please don't insinuate that.

However, I can understand you not wanting to spend more than the RRP on a pedal. That being said, it hasn't been been hyped, the fact I am not making them and people do like them seems to have driven up the price. I don't particularly like that they have gotten out of the reach of some people, but supply and demand  (0 supply, some demand) has dictated things.

Would you feel like a chump of you'd bought a Klon for £400 years ago? probably not because they now sell for £1200-£2000. For a pedal that was released to the tune of about 8000 units, thats astonishing. FWIW I doubt Ill reach that stratosphere of dizzy Gas Induced inflation, but one can hope....  
    My apologies, I was being unfair and worded that terribly. It’s all personal preference for me. To be honest seeing your products gain the reputation that they have in the guitar press and online has been great and I think most folks in the UK are proud that you seem to be turning out some of the most highly thought of pedals around. I shouldn’t have used the word ‘clone’ very unfair. 

My issue is with the market value and the buzz that is created. It’s all a bit silly. But... I’ve read Marx, and Smith, I know what world we live in. Doesn’t mean I have to like it though! 

Your point about the Klon is valid. I certainly wouldn’t have felt a chump if id cashed in. Merely lucky. And I would have had punted it way before they were selling for £1000s too! 

I love playing guitar and the pedals and amps that go with it. As such I reserve the right to be a contrary bastard when it comes to deciding what stuff I like and what I’d pay over the odds for.
  • P.S. ThorpyFX - Congrats on the success you’ve had and good luck on the realease of the Si version.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    P.S. ThorpyFX - Congrats on the success you’ve had and good luck on the realease of the Si version.
    Thankyou :)

Hype can be awkward for me as I want the pedals to stand on their merits, so far i think that has been happening. Hype however exists in the same way stereotypes do, they are as such for a reason (usually).
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • jfraze5150jfraze5150 Frets: 262
    edited October 2017
    ThorpyFX said:
    P.S. ThorpyFX - Congrats on the success you’ve had and good luck on the realease of the Si version.
    Thankyou

Hype can be awkward for me as I want the pedals to stand on their merits, so far i think that has been happening. Hype however exists in the same way stereotypes do, they are as such for a reason (usually).
    And if you ever decide to make any more of the Ge ones... maybe gimme a wee heads up? 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    You can suck-up all you want, he still won't give you a free pedal.
     ;) 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyO said:

Cheers! 
    F
    Last pedal I bought from AnalogMan had the value on the package as $50 so the duty was calculated on that. 
    Orly??! That’s interesting. What a legend. Did you drop hints or something? 
  • Sassafras said:
    You can suck-up all you want, he still won't give you a free pedal.
     ;) 
    Haha! Only sucked up a little to balance out me insinuating he rips off Analogman!  :3 

Besides! Who said anything about free?! The opportunity to pay RRP would be amazing!  ;)
  • @ThorpyFX Excuse my ignorance if you've already stated this elsewhere, but why did you limit The Veteran? It's not a criticism, but a genuine question :-)
  • LewLew Frets: 1657
    Thorpy does pedals right
  • antifashantifash Frets: 603
    @ThorpyFX Excuse my ignorance if you've already stated this elsewhere, but why did you limit The Veteran? It's not a criticism, but a genuine question :-)
    I believe that if you watch the new Si video, he mentions the limited number of transistors available to him. Ltd supply vs unknown demand. 
    tFB Trader
    @ThorpyFX Excuse my ignorance if you've already stated this elsewhere, but why did you limit The Veteran? It's not a criticism, but a genuine question :-)
    To make 100 veterans took 300 transistors plus spares for potential warranty claims. So to get 300 transistors I had to test and sort 1000+ transistors. Even those that tested in the right gain ranges had to be auditioned before being soldered in, it’s a lot of work.

To do that I had to buy them, so I have 700 transistors that are no use for those sorts of circuits now. The limit is down to logistics really.

if I get a similar stash of transistors in the future, I might do something similar but not the same... I wish I could have done more but... there it is.