Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Say you don't need a tube amp with crushing gain but rather beautiful cleans instead ?

What's Hot

Comments

• BeexterBeexter Frets: 597
    The cleans on my Mesa Express 5:25+ are very nice. The footswitchable EQ (graphic or contour dial) lets you cover a lot of tone bases.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Why a valve amp?

If you're after amazing cleans then the Roland 120 Jazz Chorus is your first stop.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13929
    Vaiai said:
    Victory V40 Combo? Two Rock, Hamstead

I bought a V40 from andertons, atrocious amp imo and I sent it back immediately
    What didn't you like about the V40?

• For these purposes I've been delighted with th Brunetti Singleman.

The baby combo (16w) is plenty loud for me but there is a 50w head as well.
  • ibisibis Frets: 8
    Marshall Vintage Modern
  • Has anyone tried a cornford hurricane 20w ?
    Yes, and it was crap. Crap clean, crap overdriven. There are many better amps out there.

Yes, and I loved my Hurricane to bits. The clean was organic and delightful, with a lush reverb. The overdrive quite filthy. Great home and recording amp. Just not the gigging amp I needed - and I needed the money for something that was. Beware, though, the cleans needed master volume on full and keeping the preamp gain low.

Just goes to show how personal all this stuff is and why the OP really needs to try things for himself. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    What sort of venues are you playing? The Fender 65 Deluxe Reverb is a great amp. 
  • What sort of venues are you playing? The Fender 65 Deluxe Reverb is a great amp. 
    If only it had an FX loop
  • said it before, will again. Dr. Z EZG 50. Fender cleans but more interesting, a bit of grit if you want it but loads of headroom, reverb and all the character. Downside? The head is a weighty bastard.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4947
    Don't think about a JC120, very artificial and false 'clean' sound to my ears. A Dennis Cornell valve amp will give you as much clean sound as you want (at lowish volume). Turn it up for a little breakup - and don't forget to use  the volume control on your guitar.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• Line 6 Spider

'Clean' Channel for cleans. 

'Insane' channel for crushing gain....
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13929

I've not tried one but the Carr Rambler is lauded.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    Line 6 Spider

'Clean' Channel for cleans. 

'Insane' channel for crushing gain....
    Doesn't have an FX loop, which I've always thought was a major weak point.

(I know... but I had to say it anyway ;).)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Get a 94 Twin and a head unit, put the chassis in the that and presto.  
    No Darling....I've had that ages.
  • Victory V40 - awesome clean amp
  • MikeBMikeB Frets: 176
    Mesa Lonestar would be my choice. The special version would give you some options with the lower watt modes. 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31368
    I am thinking about building a 50w tweed low power twin, this might be ideal for you, maybe even in a head/combo format.

The 30w Vox thing is lovelly too, I like my Zwreck type amp allot for home playing, but it gets loud and dirty very fast

Depends on how clean you want it
    Definitely not Hank Marvin clean, far too hifi for me, when Jeff Healey plays the clean intro to blue jean blues and starts the solo by turning up the volume control and then finishes it by turning it up more and kicking on the wah......it just doesn't get any better. Snowy Whites bird of paradise clean tone is awesome inspiring too, I just wish he had used single coils instead of a Gibson.
    The Jeff Healey example you give is not a clean tone, it's actually a pretty high gain tone with that sparkle you get when you have a treble boost (or a bright switch) before the distortion. 

You will never get that out of a "clean" amp. 
  • Rocker said:
    Don't think about a JC120, very artificial and false 'clean' sound to my ears. A Dennis Cornell valve amp will give you as much clean sound as you want (at lowish volume). Turn it up for a little breakup - and don't forget to use  the volume control on your guitar.
    The Cornell 18/20 I tried in music shop was astonishing, but could it be used indoors ?
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4718
    edited October 2017
    Laney VC30 - lovely chimey, glassy cleans.  Massively under-rated amps (you'll struggle to find anything but good reviews) , stupidly discontinued by Laney - comes in 2x12, 1x12 and 2x10 flavours (mine's the 2x10 combo with Jensen C10Q16's - slightly toppier & more vintage sound - nice  change from bass heavy 2x12's, and cuts through the mix like butter - plus it's smaller and lighter! - best kept secret of the range). 

Takes pedals beautifully.  Mine has a parallel FX loop and accutronic spring reverb - later ones have a series FX loop and digital reverb. (The parallel can easily be converted to series)
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4641

I've not tried one but the Carr Rambler is lauded.

Do they have FX loop’s? 

I tried one a while ago, convinced befire I did that I’d end up selling everything and getting one, but preferred my Princeton.  The Carr sounded a bit clinical, although I didn’t go too loud.  Actually it was a nice clean tone, but not as warm as the Princeton.  I could imagine with a Strat, you could nail the SRV Little Wing tone - it was robust and clear.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom