GT100 MultiFX instead of pedalboard

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Now you mention it, I remember discussions about the weird footswitches back when they came out. I'd probably still give one a go if it wasn't for the 4CM thing. They seem to be plentiful and affordable on ebay (make of that what you will!) but I just can't figure out how to make it work. I guess I could run the drive channel of my amp with low gain and use the Nova to drive it more...might work ok with the delays...not sure.

I guess there are these other things now, like the Mooer Red Truck...I think that has a loop for 4CM. Not sure what it sounds like though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • erky32erky32 Frets: 49
    edited October 2017
    Wow astonished  , so far, well impressed! ....after decades of pedals, multifx, and modelling amps - at last - a multifx with total flexibility & good sounds to do everything, just plug & play!! I'm not big into banks/patches per song or setlist, but as an old rocker , more old-school with a manual set up , so far I've just set two patches, one with preamp clean with drives& fx,  or optional divide to preamp crunch with fx etc, and another patch for acoustic eq & fx. I'm going straight into the "Ret" of a Mustang-3 and the sounds are pure & quiet. As I had hoped , the drives do sound thevery similar (to me) as the Katana. So , now looking forward a tweaking these three options programmed, 'cos they're probably all I will ever need! Thanks to all who contributed to this thread & reassured me with my decision!

24 Hours Later:..... a quick update, I need to rethink my strategy from old school to patches - all the sounds are already in there in the "EZTONE" ....no need to conjure up sounds on the run anymore! Just been looking on the web to find loads of patches per song or artist, this is all new to me, I think I've been in a cocoon all my life! If anybody knows "the best" song library (classic rock standards - ZZTop, Eagles, Gary Moore, LedZep, Free etc... ) to try, I'd be interested to look at it.
    Meanwhile - I'm having a ball with this new toy!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BGGBGG Frets: 688

I guess there are these other things now, like the Mooer Red Truck...I think that has a loop for 4CM. Not sure what it sounds like though.
    I've been thinking about one of these or the Nux Cerebus for a simple set up.
    #thebatesmotelband
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 971
    Really love this Guthrie Govan tone

• rprrpr Frets: 308
    Big bunch of patches here - http://guitarpatches.com/patches.php?unit=GT100. ;  
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    Do ya know I've sold my GT-100 recently to fund towards my Helix, which is excellent. The GT-100's harmoniser kills the Helix but the amp models in the Helix are definitely better. That said, this is what forums do - they are breeding grounds for GAS....reading this thread makes me have fond memories of my recently departed GT-100 and makes me want another. Of course this will have to subside...I'm not prepared to get back on the merry go round.....been there done that, got the T shirt.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I've just visited the Boss Tone Studio software site. Wow, - I don't think I'll bother, this really is brain surgery, - think I'll live offline and use the patches given - which are brilliant anyway!
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935

Easily the best GT-100 demo ever.....

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Yeah, I have probably spent thousands on gear I don't need purely as a result of reading this forum. At the end of the day all I need is a delay pedal.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I was at a gig on Weds night where it I think the guitarist used a GT-100 straight into the mix. Sounded pretty good to me, though to be honest it wasn't really a guitar-heavy kind of band so didn't really do any lead stuff. 
    ..that's very tempting to DI into PA, certainly from a gear/rigging point of view, but personally I like the thump of a backline 2x12 amp behind me, I feel something lacking with a PA mix (maybe I'm not doing it right!!)
  • erky32 said:
    ..that's very tempting to DI into PA, certainly from a gear/rigging point of view, but personally I like the thump of a backline 2x12 amp behind me, I feel something lacking with a PA mix (maybe I'm not doing it right!!)
    Well, it was an Elton John tribute act I was seeing (don't ask!), so there wasn't exactly much blazing hot riffing or face-melting solos! Did the trick fine though. 
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    Johnny Marr uses a GT-100 into Kempers for his live rig now. Will Sergeant of Echo & The Bunnymen tours a GT-8. Not my preference, but they do the job for those guys!
  • RogerRoger Frets: 20
    I recently bought a GT100 and have used it direct to PA and into the front of a Laney VC30. I basically have 2 patches the same one with a preamp (for PA) and one without (for the amp).

You read lots of comments about how analogue pedals sound better into amps etc. but to be able to take a single unit with huge combinations of effects to a gig which can also be used as a backup amp is a massive benefit.

As a standalone pedal board it sounds great, the drives are convincing as are the modulations and I would argue that any perceived digital sound would be smoothed out by the valve amp anyway.

As a preamp and pedalboard into a PA it sounds completely different to an amp on stage and that's a good thing! It doesn't clutter the mix in smaller venues and it keeps stage volume down, you get great tone without deafening the front row of the crowd, you get a consistent level all over the venue as your sound is going through the tops alone (and obviously you're onstage monitor).

Basically does it sound better than an amp and pedals - well if it's a pretty pokey valve amp with the volume at about 2 in a small venue then yes absolutely it does, not only does it sound better but the entire band will sound better for it.

I just want to add that a lot of people will judge the GT100 (or any other modelling pedal) alongside an amp. the trouble is unless that amp is absolutely cooking a couple of 12 inch speakers and the FX pedal is running through a PA at gig volume the comparison is a little flawed. What people think is digital 'harshness' isn't always the case - brightness perhaps - but if you stood in front of a twin reverb dialled in for killer tone you'd probably find that pretty harsh/ bright too!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom