Your current drive flavour of choice?

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2891
    No idea what diodes it has, just a stock soul food. I think my settings were about 11 o clock treble, 12 o clock volume and 10 o clock gain. Doesn't add an awful lot but it does seem to add that little "special sauce" bollocks that people go on about.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    edited October 2017
    juansolo said:

The best drive pedal I've ever experienced so far. No idea if it'll ever get an official release or not. But I've followed it's builder and it's progress from concept to completion and he built this one for me.
    Is that based on the La Vache?  (In turn based on the Les Luis IIUC).
    LOL an Electra Distortion, no, very much not. It's a cascaded gain distortion. It's very much like a pre-amplifier in terms of how it behaves with guitar.

This was my response on FB to Jason who designed this. He's been on with this for probably about 6 months and it is a totally original effect. Unusual I know! We've had protos and been following the design and build of this for ages (Jason is the guy who does our PCB layouts).

Holy shit! This thing is perfect now. Jason don't touch it. To put it simply, this thing makes most other overdrive/distortions redundant.

It's eerily quiet even at max gain, it responds to the vol control of the guitar. It adds to an amp making it s
    ound more without taking away the underlying tone, though you can tweak that tone quite heavily if you want to. But you *can* use it as a 'more' pedal if you want.

The controls all do what you want them to do. The two switches I seem to use more for amp matching. They sound spot on one way in a Marshall 18w-a-like and in a different setting in a Fender Brown-face a-like. The altitude stomp adds body/size to the sound on demand. The TMB controls work really well to shape the tone how you want.

It's been a long, long time since I've been genuinely surprised and excited about a distortion pedal. You've created a masterpiece dude.

There is a build doc for it with schematic. But I'm not sure it's for public consumption yet. It's probably going to become a DIY effect, but in the interests of options it might be a very limited thing and he might want to keep it's design under wraps.

Here's a gutshot. It's not a Tube Screamer!

https://scontent-lht6-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/22893979_1310009182439132_5793153504821141230_n.jpg?oh=0814c1287473d20be68de6c271125ee3&oe=5A6BF22B

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • domforrdomforr Frets: 326
    juansolo said:
    juansolo said:

The best drive pedal I've ever experienced so far. No idea if it'll ever get an official release or not. But I've followed it's builder and it's progress from concept to completion and he built this one for me.
    Is that based on the La Vache?  (In turn based on the Les Luis IIUC).
    LOL an Electra Distortion, no, very much not. It's a cascaded gain distortion. It's very much like a pre-amplifier in terms of how it behaves with guitar.

This was my response on FB to Jason who designed this. He's been on with this for probably about 6 months and it is a totally original effect. Unusual I know! We've had protos and been following the design and build of this for ages (Jason is the guy who does our PCB layouts).

Holy shit! This thing is perfect now. Jason don't touch it. To put it simply, this thing makes most other overdrive/distortions redundant.

It's eerily quiet even at max gain, it responds to the vol control of the guitar. It adds to an amp making it sound more without taking away the underlying tone, though you can tweak that tone quite heavily if you want to. But you *can* use it as a 'more' pedal if you want.

The controls all do what you want them to do. The two switches I seem to use more for amp matching. They sound spot on one way in a Marshall 18w-a-like and in a different setting in a Fender Brown-face a-like. The altitude stomp adds body/size to the sound on demand. The TMB controls work really well to shape the tone how you want.

It's been a long, long time since I've been genuinely surprised and excited about a distortion pedal. You've created a masterpiece dude.

There is a build doc for it with schematic. But I'm not sure it's for public consumption yet. It's probably going to become a DIY effect, but in the interests of options it might be a very limited thing and he might want to keep it's design under wraps.

Here's a gutshot. It's not a Tube Screamer!

https://scontent-lht6-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/22893979_1310009182439132_5793153504821141230_n.jpg?oh=0814c1287473d20be68de6c271125ee3&oe=5A6BF22B

Do these guys have a website? Looks like an interesting pedal.
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3422
    edited October 2017
    Okko Diablo gain+ for 12 years+ now. Also like a bit of fuzz though, most recently a Castledine though I loved the Zvex fuzzolo too...ultimately it's lack of control options was a pain.

When I have an opportunity I also really love my Audio Kitchen The Big Trees cranked in amp mode. Just about perfect empty-house volume into a single blue, a tad too loud for kids-in-the-house crankage.
    edited October 2017
    domforr said:

Do these guys have a website? Looks like an interesting pedal.
    Ha, yes, it looks like Jason's put Apetonefx back up again to shift some PCBs. So indeed the build doc is there also for anyone who wants a peek at the schematic for it.

http://apetonefx.com/

Build doc is here: http://apetonefx.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Cascadia-Build-Doc.pdf

Madbean thread on the design of the circuit: http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=25181.0

However, looks like it's DIY only at the moment. The fully built ones he's made (like mine) are all all laser etched and lovely things so it looks like he's gone that extra mile if he decides to sell built ones.

• domforrdomforr Frets: 326
    Thanks for the info. Wouldn't have the faintest idea how to construct one, but looks interesting.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4679
    juansolo said:
    https://scontent-lht6-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/22310687_1297088383731212_1125185692821821837_n.jpg?oh=406430495a21f79b907c2e22d68c81f9&oe=5A6EC847

Looks interesting John.  Are there any clips?

Also, what does attitude do, is it a boost?
  • jakzekjakzek Frets: 55
    Using a Wampler Tumnus for a slight breakup, then a Fultone plimsoul for an overdriven gain tone, and then the tumnus into the plimsoul for a lovely saturated lead tone! 

Originally bought the tumnus as an 'always on' pedal after hearing how nice klon's make a clean tone sound when they have their gain rolled all the way off. However I just prefer the clean tone of my Princeton reverb on its own and can't get enough of the tumnus boosting the plimsoul, always used to play clean only but now I've been converted as the tumnus just takes my lead tone to the next level, great pedal.
    juansolo said:
    https://scontent-lht6-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/22310687_1297088383731212_1125185692821821837_n.jpg?oh=406430495a21f79b907c2e22d68c81f9&oe=5A6EC847

Looks interesting John.  Are there any clips?

Also, what does attitude do, is it a boost?
    It adds body. It originally was going to be a boost, but it's more subtle than that. It just makes the sound bigger.

Clips, I'm pretty sure that's the bit that you do :)  It's over at Cleggy's if you're in the area, otherwise you could borrow it if you want a play.
    juansolo said:

It adds body. It originally was going to be a boost, but it's more subtle than that. It just makes the sound bigger.

Clips, I'm pretty sure that's the bit that you do :)  It's over at Cleggy's if you're in the area, otherwise you could borrow it if you want a play.
    Cool.  May pop over and have a go then if I get the chance!
  • Cool.  May pop over and have a go then if I get the chance!
    Any chance you could record and share it on here? ;)
    Trading feedback | FS: Nothing right now
    JM build | Pedalboard plans
    Cool.  May pop over and have a go then if I get the chance!
    Any chance you could record and share it on here? ;)
    Yes will do, if I get chance to get over there and have a go I'll record something.   Depends if I can get a few spare hours to head into them there hills.....
    Good man!