Acoustic Simulation

RolandRoland Frets: 8684
Acoustic simulation has come up in several conversations. I though it would be useful have a separate thread.

There are lots of different recorded acoustic guitar sounds. In isolation some of them don't sound much like acoustic guitars. For example, there's a lot of difference between Pete Townshend's various acoustics with a soundhole pickups, the acoustic on One Republic's Counting Stars which is EQ'd down to a thin tinkle, and a finger picked Martin with a decent mic. I'm going for the middle ground, which can then be EQ'd or processed as necessary.

I use an AxeFX, but the process should be similar in all modellers. Here's a picture for Fractal owners.

The important bit is the series of effect blocks which goes:

AMP - Studio Preamplifier set flat

Multi Band Compressor to simulate the different sustain characteristics of acoustic and solid body guitars. This the second most important block. My settings are shown in the picture.

Graphic EQ to roll off the low end below 250Hz and, if necessary, adjust for the mic EQ characteristics

Parametric EQ to take out any resonance peaks. I get a few between 3.2 and 3.5 kHz.

CABinet - This is the most important block. It's where the IRs reside. I strongly recommend that you make your own IRs that match your electric and acoustic guitars. I've made several IRs which match the neck pickup of my main Partscaster (Oil City Californian) to the mic'd sound of a Taylor Grand Symphony I also have an IR which matches a tapped neck humbucker to a Taylor 414.

Compressor - A bit more compression if required.

You can ignore the rest of the patch. Blocks in the lower left (Mixers, Filter, Send and Return) allow me to compensate for volume and EQ between guitar cable and wireless. On the top line the Amp and Cab allow me to switch from acoustic to electric sounds without changing patch.

Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments