Could Someone Explain Big Muffs to Me?

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• Ro_SRo_S Frets: 929
    edited October 2017
    If you were seeking a (Rat) distortion that could border on fuzz territory, the You Dirty Rat version probably would've suited your needs better than the Rat 2.
    As you weren't asking about that, though, you didn't get that suggestion before you spent your money.
    If my brother had a hoo-ha he'd be my sister.
    over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

Effects for Me & my Monkey    
    YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    ...it was a 70s thing...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BabonesBabones Frets: 1205
    Ro_S said:
    Objection, m'lord.

we were referring to the modern Little BM, as that's what the OP was talking about. 

I dunno what the 70s one is, but it wouldn't be surprised me if it was a  'Muff' circuit rather than a BM
    The 70s LBM is a Big Muff circuit, inserted sideways, with only the volume pot.
    bbill335 said:
    sweepy said:
    There was also the Big Muff Pi Deluxe in the 70’s , I kid you not. It was a mains powered muff with a built in compressor and a stereo split, crazy pedal and I wish I still had it 
    I think that's the muff on the first DinoJr record 
    First two albums even.
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 921
    Get a Big Muff Tone Wicker, and a RAT. I've had a few boutique Muffs, and the Tone Wicker comes within 90% of the best of them, and it'll get you really close to the Siamese Dream sound.
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    Thanks, that's also very useful. I know I deviated from my original idea but this thread has helped me out a lot.

I tried the Rat out last night on my "board" and it's great. Works well with my amp and the two guitars I use mostly. I removed my homebuilt Tube Screamer and put the Rat on in its place and it's much more what I wanted. I have a Soul Food too so the TS and SF were pretty much duplicating each other and stacking the SF into the TS didn't really work very well at all, so I opted to look for something more along the lines of Distortion or Fuzz.

As it turns out the Soul Food into the Rat sounds pretty awesome too, so I've got a small board now where every pedal does something I want and even switching them all on works really well. Much better than the versions of this board that I've had before. There's a slot left for something else so I'll investigate Muffs going forward now and see which one best suits, but the Tone Wicker sounds like the chappy I need to check out.

• andypandyp Frets: 332
    For what it's worth, here's a pic...

Guitar into Tuner into Soul Food into Rat into amp.

Reverb, chorus, delay and looper in the FX loop. I'm not really very clued-up as I'm learning all this stuff, hence this thread, but this seems to work pretty well for me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom