1980 Boss OD-1 Power Question

What's Hot
builttospillbuilttospill Frets: 457
Recently acquired this lovely pedal from @rossyamaha, as Ross pointed out to me the power socket polarity has been reversed at some point. (any reason for this change? a little perplexed why someone would do this) 
Ross kindly sent me a polarity reversal adaptor and it works great with a 9.6 volt 200mA EHX power supply. I've not tested it yet, but is there any reason why it shouldn't work with my burkey pedal power (outlets at 9 or 12 volts @100mA centre negative) I basically want to avoid fucking up a pedal that sounds great. Help greatly appreciated.    
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72204
    It's probably been bodged to run with whatever adaptor someone had.

Best to fix the socket properly. It would be wise to find out whether any other changes have been made, eg removing the reverse-voltage protection diode and resistor in the ACA-adaptor circuit - this is often done to use a PSA or other regulated 9V adaptor. If so this leaves only the shunt protection diode, and that can burn out…

If it was me I would return it exactly to stock including the ACA circuit, and use a 12V supply, which is how it was designed to be run.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    It's probably been bodged to run with whatever adaptor someone had.

Best to fix the socket properly. It would be wise to find out whether any other changes have been made, eg removing the reverse-voltage protection diode and resistor in the ACA-adaptor circuit - this is often done to use a PSA or other regulated 9V adaptor. If so this leaves only the shunt protection diode, and that can burn out…

If it was me I would return it exactly to stock including the ACA circuit, and use a 12V supply, which is how it was designed to be run.

Many thanks @ICBM, I don't suppose you can tell from the images in the link of any more changes http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/115950/fs-vintage-boss-and-dimarzio#latest
    So you are saying once it has been rectified you can run it at 12 volts dc centre negative?
  • The Boss ACA adapter is an UNREGULATED (nominal) '9V' supply - it actually gives out 12V or more unloaded. If you are using an old Boss ACA pedal on its own, you will need a 12V regulated supply. If you have another (moderrn PSA Boss) pedal connected to it, you can use a 9 V regulated supply.

Explanation here ...
    http://stinkfoot.se/archives/726

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72204
    builttospill said:

Many thanks @ICBM, I don't suppose you can tell from the images in the link of any more changes http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/115950/fs-vintage-boss-and-dimarzio#latest
    It does at least look like the ACA diode and resistor are still present - they're on the left of the pic, D4 and the resistor next to it, which some people remove when converting - but the mod can (and should) be done by just soldering across the pins on the back of the board, so I can't tell if it's been done or not.

So you are saying once it has been rectified you can run it at 12 volts dc centre negative?
    Yes, that's the closest to the original ACA spec as steamabacus said.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Not sure I would like to attempt this myself a bit OCD with pedals, would anyone be up for modding this back to it's normal state? calling @juansolo ;
  • anyone else?