Starting from scratch...

What's Hot
Hello.

About a year ago I was a frequently visiting and participating member of the forum, but I moved country, leaving behind all my gear at home. I recently purchased a Squire Jazzmaster, and have a potential jam session lined up. 

As someone who used to use alot of boutique effects (and still has a pedalboard of them at home), I'm kinda excited at the opportunity/excuse to start fresh and try out some new stuff. 

I'm mainly looking for mass-market pedals which people think are great. I really enjoy boutique pedals but with the concept I may eventually have to move, the concept of selling mass-market pedals seems to be easier, without incurring such a big loss.

I'm mainly looking for a decent OD, modulation (chorus / pitch shifting) and a delay. Any recommendations? I play indie rock / shoegaze, main influences being Interpol, Radiohead, Secret Machines, Wilco and Tame Impala. I'm mostly likely going to be renting various tube amps (hopefully), probably Fenders. 

Apologies for the vagueness of the post. My current inclination is to build an all Boss/EHX board, but if anyone has any alternatives, that would be great. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Hard to go wrong with Boss, certainly for chorus and delay -

CE-2 / CE-2W 
    DD-7 / RE-20 / DD-20 / DD-500 

All excellent choices, depending on budget/features required. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Agreed. I had a DD-500 before and really liked it, but sold it because it was overkill. Managed to find someone selling a DD-7 for 120€. Sorry I should have specified, I'm trying to get a bare bones pedal board for less than 300 - 400€.
  • DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 2566
    Can't go wrong with a Zoom MS-70CDR for a basic do-it-all modulation solution.  Has some really excellent delays in it too.
    New fangled trading feedback link right here!
  • Ro_SRo_S Frets: 929
    edited October 2017
    buy mass-market pedals used

Boss BD2
    Boss SD1

Proco Rat 2

EHX Deluxe Big Muff
    DOD Carcosa

Boss TR2 / EHX Stereo Pulsar (tremolo)

Line 6 Echo Park (discontinued)

Line 6 M5
    Zoom MS-70CDR   +1
    Zoom G3

Biyang 'tonefancier' ( aka Akai  'professional' series)  - mostly analogue effects, including a CE2 clone

Some of the Joyo stuff

Mooer stuff?

p.s.
    oh, and used Visual Sound v2 series and v3/Truetone series pedals.
    over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

Effects for Me & my Monkey    
    YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Go the Boss/Proco route as the OP has suggested. Have to say I'm very tempted to sell all of my expensive pedals to replace with Boss equivalent and recoup wasted money.
  • Go the Boss/Proco route as the OP has suggested. Have to say I'm very tempted to sell all of my expensive pedals to replace with Boss equivalent and recoup wasted money.
    This is always at the back of my mind.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9444
    edited October 2017
    Go the Boss/Proco route as the OP has suggested. Have to say I'm very tempted to sell all of my expensive pedals to replace with Boss equivalent and recoup wasted money.
    I tried it this year... had a Boss phase to see if it would work.

It didnt. Many were left wanting, imho
  • I often think that a lot of classic indie/shoegaze of the late 80’s early 90’s was made with boss pedals, maybe the lack of choice in the pedal market forced you to get as much out of them as possible

Completely agree. They are very average pedals. Sturdy and reliable sure, but that's no fun
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    edited October 2017
    Go the Boss/Proco route as the OP has suggested. Have to say I'm very tempted to sell all of my expensive pedals to replace with Boss equivalent and recoup wasted money.

Completely agree. They are very average pedals. Sturdy and reliable sure, but that's no fun
    I don't think Boss really specialize in the more out there effects, they have a few like tera echo and slicer. But for core sounds, you can go along way with boss. I've been doing a covers thing of late and got a long way with just an BD2, SD1 and DM2W, for those kinds of sounds I don't really see what a boutique pedal is going to offer. However, if you want more fun, noise, ambiance, control etc then I think you can do better than boss. 
  • In the end I decided to go with the following.
    Boss BD2 - Digitech Nautila - EHX Pitchfork - EHX Canyon. 
    So far I've not had a chance to try them out, but briefly playing them through a DI setup it sounded good!

My rational for going back to a more simple setup was that I realised that I was spend vast amounts of money on a single pedal, whereby the intricacies and nuances of it would be lost on an audience. I don't think an audience member will be able to tell the difference between a BOSS delay or a boutique one. I think they can tell the difference between a "good" or "bad" sound, however, that is fundamentally rooted in the song itself IMO anyway. 

Having said that, pedals that are truly unique like the Count to Five offer really fascinating sounds which seem to be only reproducible with VST plugins. My only issue with these more unique effects is their reproducibility live. I also love my Eightytape Limbo 2 and Caroline Guitar Company Meteore. Properly lovely sounds with them.

I think there's alot of ground to be covered with old BOSS pedals however. The BOSS PS-3 is one of my favourite pedals ever. The amount of sounds you can get out of it, I'd quite possibly need three! 
  • Got an EHX Soul food (transparent overdrive Klon copy)for sale and a Big Muff Pi (georgeous fuzz classic but it does use a lot of pedal board real estate!). 

I don't think Boss really specialize in the more out there effects, they have a few like tera echo and slicer. But for core sounds, you can go along way with boss. I've been doing a covers thing of late and got a long way with just an BD2, SD1 and DM2W, for those kinds of sounds I don't really see what a boutique pedal is going to offer. However, if you want more fun, noise, ambiance, control etc then I think you can do better than boss. 
    you can a long way with MXR, Digitech, mooer, tone city etc...
    Boss just seems to be the nostalgic choice for the older generation. (no offence :-) (I dont think your are that old???))

but for me you can get a nicer offering on all 3 off those boss pedals you have listed for similar or lower prices. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1646
    edited October 2017
    I've got so much love for Mad Professor pedals. They can be picked up for great prices used on eBay (got my 5/6 for about 60/70 quid each and have the usual range - delay, verb, chorus, phase and a bunch of drives from low to high gain. Each one I've used sounds great with minimal tweaking. If you find you're not happy with the ones you picked up, give them a try instead.
  • vizviz Frets: 10643
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.