Amps distortion vs pedal distortion...

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• BeexterBeexter Frets: 598
    I surprised myself with correctly identifying which were amps and which were pedals. I didn't attempt to be any more specific than that, apart from one sample which I correctly identified as the Orange (maybe because I own an Orange amp?)

I listened through headphones and all the pedals sound much more fizzy which could perhaps be sorted with a bit of EQ.

When I have tried fuzz pedals into an amp, I have personally found them to sound better (less fizz) with a hint of dirt dialled in on the amp, rather than setting the amp squeaky clean. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5140
    Surprisingly I got 6/6...I like a bit of treble so didn’t mind some of the pedal harshness  :)
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 895
    I think it's funny how right now, so many dirt PEDALS are trying to sound like amps, whilst AMPS are increasingly incorporating pedal type preamp circuits.
    I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
  • Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1646
    Totally situational imho. Sticking your guitar straight into a Plexi and cranking it sounds wonderful but not very helpful if you're playing in a function band. If you've got a strat with single coils into a Hot Rod Deluxe, no pedal will ever make you sound metal.

I do think though, in this glorious age for pedals and amps, you can compromise a tiny bit and get 95% of both worlds and everything in-between with a carefully selected amp, guitar and pedals that complement both.

I've always flitted between the two but find I just seem to edge towards the control and the range of palette you can get with a small(ish) pedal board and a good amp. It just seems to me that if I go pedals for the night I can get the exact same tone in any room at any volume.

I also try and be 'glass half full' - there are tones I can get from pedals that I simply cannot get from one amp alone and I'm way to lazy to go multi-amp rig.
  • Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1646
    edited October 2017
    Just to add, I've always found that good pedals, like amps, always shine with some proper volume. If your amp is turned down to 1 in your bedroom, a pedal will sound just like what it is - a pedal. If your amp is really working.. not necessarily breaking up but at least pushing some air and coming alive... a decent pedal can sound really great. However, they're not magic boxes - you have to have your base tone in a good place first otherwise no £300 box of handwired, true-bypass, boutique whateveryoucallit can save you.