Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

**WIN PRIZES** special CHALLENGE

What's Hot
TTonyTTony Frets: 27342
edited December 2017 in Making Music
I realise that the current batch of "...of the month" challenges are still being voted on, but I wanted to give you details about next month's END OF YEAR SPECIAL!

We're going to have a single challenge with a theme.  So, a bit like the composition challenge, except that the submissions might be very simple, reflecting the theme.

I've also managed to rustle up a prize or 3 thanks to the generosity of some of our business members.

• Donated by @TheGuitarWeasel ;;;;
    £50 off any set of Oil City pickups (costing over £100).
    Pretty much all of us know Ash and his products, and many of us already have the benefit of his pickups in our guitars.
    But if you've somehow not stumbled across them yet, take a look at:  http://www.oilcitypickups.co.uk/index.html
  • Donated by the Major @ThorpyFX ;;;;
    A CHAIN HOME Tremelo pedal.
    I might just have saved the best-til-last with this one!
    For all the detail on this - and all his other pedals - check the website (and read some of the recommendations) at https://thorpyfx.com/

Submissions will be accepted until 0800 on Monday 4th December, with voting open until 11th December.  That way, we should be able to get the prizes (vouchers/pedal) into the hands of the winner in time for Christmas.

And, having mentioned that word, the theme ..

"What I'd like to hear when I open a Christmas Card".

Inspired by those wonderfully "tasteful" cards that play a tune when you open them, but it might equally be what's playing on the radio at the time, or whatever musical accompaniment you might choose to have when you open Christmas cards.

The composition can be as simple or a complex as you choose to make it, but there's a time limit of 90 seconds (otherwise the battery in the card will run out), and please submit in mp3 format.

Submissions to EOTY@theFB.co.uk.

That timing might also mean that we can sneak an article into the pre-Christmas edition of 4:52am magazine, so, clearly, fame and fortune are on offer for the winner, as well as those prizes.

Weathered Oak wood Multi Guitar Stand Rack with many guitars left view

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• horsehorse Frets: 1561
    "What I'd like to hear when I open a Christmas Card"

Is this just a way to encourage people to send you recordings of filthy talk Tony?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27342
    Preferably not @horse!
    ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • What no picture with this challenge. That's often the most fun and challenging bit for me.

Good idea for a theme though.
    It's not a competition.
    Ahhhhh ... I'd not thought of that @stratman3142.

Although I'm trying to keep the challenge as open/easy as possible to encourage maximum number of entrants.  
  • I'll give it a shot.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• markvmarkv Frets: 459
    Those are some tasty goodies. Seems like the ideal time for me to get back into recording after a hectic summer.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    edited October 2017
    The opening riff of Johnny B Goode!

The Santa 'Clause'
    https://i.pinimg.com/originals/6e/3c/7d/6e3c7d74f6a995bdf0a6d7e482122457.jpg

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803
    Hmmmm...might have a go at this myself :)
    **Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    Interesting. I shall try to remember to have a go!
  • bad_alicebad_alice Frets: 252
    What a great idea! 
    *rolls up metaphorical sleeves*
    If free time(!) allows I’ll send something in too...
    :)
    Easily distracted and...oooh, look! A guitar!"
    My Trading Feedback can be found here: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/62765/bad-alice/p1
  • JtaylorJtaylor Frets: 182
    Just tried submitting but got this message:

It appears that the email address you sent your message to wasn't found at the destination domain, or the recipient's mailbox is unavailable. The email address might be misspelled or it might not exist. 

Any ideas?
  • Jtaylor said:
    Just tried submitting but got this message:

It appears that the email address you sent your message to wasn't found at the destination domain, or the recipient's mailbox is unavailable. The email address might be misspelled or it might not exist. 

Any ideas?
    It's usual to get some kind of spit-back from the email. When sent, it goes to multiple tFB email addresses and I think this is the root of the problem. The email does usually arrive at the right place, though.
    @Jtaylor  - you're a bit quick!!  I didn't expect any entries for a week or two, so I've not actually set the email address up yet.  Will do it this eve and let you know when its done, so you can resubmit.

:)
  • JtaylorJtaylor Frets: 182
    @TTony had a day off so thought I'd give it a shot whilst I had some free time :) Thanks 
    @Jtaylor ;
    The email address should be working now :)

@steamabacus
    The "spit-back" used to happen because the inbox that received the submissions had hit its 2Gb limit.  But I didn't realise and the emails were also auto-forwarded to Antique (who did all the leg work on the challenges) and he put them all on SoundCloud.  That should all be sorted now though because I deleted 2Gbs of submissions from the inbox.

Ready for all the submissions for this challenge ...
  • TTony said:
    @Jtaylor ;
    The email address should be working now :)

@steamabacus
    The "spit-back" used to happen because the inbox that received the submissions had hit its 2Gb limit.  But I didn't realise and the emails were also auto-forwarded to Antique (who did all the leg work on the challenges) and he put them all on SoundCloud.  That should all be sorted now though because I deleted 2Gbs of submissions from the inbox.

Ready for all the submissions for this challenge ...
    Ah, that explains it - a couple of years worth of mp3s would soon fill up an inbox. :)
  • I'm gonna pop my recording cherry with this one! Will be a simple Guitar Rig recording but the music at least will be shit.
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
    I'm gonna pop my recording cherry with this one

Hopefully, you and a few others @Aidanspaghetti ; - tasty prizes there for the winning.

• BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    It's been a good long time since I've done a proper recording. I'll get on board this one. Thanks for organising and good luck all participants!