New Marshalls - it's true!

What's Hot
ricorico Frets: 1220
The new DSL range have resurfaced on Thomann, due in stock at the end of the month. 

1, 5, 20, 40 & 100 watt heads and combos. 20, 40 &100 watters are EL34 powered. 

20w head is £480. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Are they doing anything plexi-flavoured in a modern format?
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    Are they doing anything plexi-flavoured in a modern format?
    Every modern Marshall has at least one channel which is Plexi-flavoured.

;)

According to one of their more recent former designers, anyway. If they genuinely think that it probably explains why I don't like any of their modern amps, because they don't.

I will wait and see with these. This does look like a pretty well-thought-out range from a size/power/features point of view, at least - the only major omission I can see is a 50W head. (And the traditionalist in me wishes the 40W combo was also 50W, but that's a very small point.) The DSL40 combo comes with a V-Type too! The 20W seems to be listed with a Seventy/80, but presumably that's a mistake since it's a 10" speaker. Hopefully a 10" Greenback, but that's possibly wishing for too much...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• marshall please have fitted an over specced output transformer this time, i had two dsl heads, a 50 and 100 and both blew their trannies.
    marshall please have fitted an over specced output transformer this time, i had two dsl heads, a 50 and 100 and both blew their trannies.
    Very common. I'm not totally sure if the quality/spec of the transformers is the major issue, or whether it's more to to with the utter stupidity of running the speaker current path through the switch in the 16-ohm jack (when operating at 4 or 8 ohms), or the failure-prone mono/stereo switching panel on the standard 4x12" cabs (worst at 16 ohms unfortunately, so you can't avoid the first problem by using the cab at 16).

Transformer quality definitely is an issue by itself as well though, since power transformer failures are almost equally common.

The good news is that so far, I have not seen a single one of the newer Vietnamese-made DSLs with any fault other than a blown valve, so possibly things have improved.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

• one ivd be most interested in is el34 20 watt head, be magnificent if it had external bias points
    one ivd be most interested in is el34 20 watt head, be magnificent if it had external bias points
    It may well be cathode-biased, in which case it won't need any! The Mini-Jubilee is.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • just checked out how it looks on the thomann site, thankfully none of the push pull confusion a la the mini jube and hopefully balancing volume between the channels wont be a pain. if they had fitted two bass middle treble tonestacks it might have been all the amp you would ever need
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30826
    edited November 2017
    Re-released the uniformly atrocious DSL?

Have they got Gibson in as marketing consultants then?

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited November 2017
    Gassage said:
    Re-released the uniformly atrocious DSL?
    I have no idea why it's being described as a 'Reissue Series'. Unless they've also somehow invented a time machine…

Strange that there's nothing about it on Marshall's own website either.

• they made blackstar artisan handwireds in vietnam and those amps were built great, fingers crossed the vietnam dsl is built to last as well.
  • they made blackstar artisan handwireds in vietnam and those amps were built great, fingers crossed the vietnam dsl is built to last as well.
    I thought the Artisans were built in Korea??
    I thought the Artisans were built in Korea??
    yes , you are correct
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7350
    Only time I played a DSL was a 50w half stack as one of the house amp rigs at IGF one year. Played it most nights for a fortnight, always gave me a good chips n' gravy rock/blues sound - I think that fact I tend not to use a lot of gain made it easy to get a sound
    Red ones are better. 
  • The DSL is a buzz box. the most harsh marshall tone from their valve series i've ever owned
  • TimmyO said:
    Only time I played a DSL was a 50w half stack as one of the house amp rigs at IGF one year. Played it most nights for a fortnight, always gave me a good chips n' gravy rock/blues sound - I think that fact I tend not to use a lot of gain made it easy to get a sound
    i would never get high gain directly from an amp, always from a pedal wuth drive set to 0 and level on full, gives that sound that sounds like the speakers are being oushed to the limit. my hard rock rhythm tone is usually about 75% on the guitar volume and 100% for soloing.
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    The DSL is a buzz box. the most harsh marshall tone from their valve series i've ever owned
    Yours was broke. I've had 2 more harsh - a JCM900 and a TSL122. Both still good but definitely more buzzy than a DSL. The DSL50 still with me. Best toanz you can get are green channel with the button for addd gain in, and boost that with a decent OD pedal and voila classic rawk/hard rawk toanz aplenty. 
  • FortheloveofguitarFortheloveofguitar Frets: 4287
    edited November 2017
    siraxeman said:
    The DSL is a buzz box. the most harsh marshall tone from their valve series i've ever owned
    Yours was broke. I've had 2 more harsh - a JCM900 and a TSL122. Both still good but definitely more buzzy than a DSL. The DSL50 still with me. Best toanz you can get are green channel with the button for addd gain in, and boost that with a decent OD pedal and voila classic rawk/hard rawk toanz aplenty. 

I owned one for a period but sold it on. Played through one at a rehearsal space last year and was the same

Agree with you on the TSl as had a head too and was crap

Mini Jubilee 2525 head went back too. The clean and push gain settings were amazing but the lead channel again a total harsh buzz saw mess 

Only marshalls I still have are my two 80's Lead 12 heads and a Bass 12 combo. They sound fantastic and are solid state 
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    edited November 2017

Mini Jubilee 2525 head went back too. The clean and push gain settings were amazing but the lead channel again a total harsh buzz saw mess 
    Heard people say this a few times but just don't get it myself! Only time it sounds like that is if you have the treble/presence all the way up and the master low. turn them both down to about 4, bass up around 8 and mids 6-7 and you get a really thick rock tone. I'm using mine as the only guitarist in a heavy rock band and it's way fuller, crunchier and just all round better than my old Laney GH50L! Does benefit from a 2x12 cab though but even the 1x12 is fine for rehearsals. Mine stays on the lead channel as I hate the rhythm clip and never use proper cleans. Before I bought it I tried it against all the classic Marshalls and to me it just sounds like a boosted slightly pissed off 800 with a more active eq. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • siraxeman said:
    Love setting my DSL like this, Bad Money for a boost works a treat. Shame the amp has decided to blow up a few weeks ago, just get a hum, will have to post a video to see if anyone knows whats up.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    I've been loving my DSL401 more and more recently. I use the clean channel with treble at about 9 o'clock, middle about 4 o'clock and bass about 2 o'clock. Low channel gain but master nearly all the way up and driven with an OCD and/or my newly built EP boost clone. It sounds ace.