PHIL X AND PETE THORN ~ GUITCON 2017 

Duration 49:30

https: //www.youtube.com/watch?v=1flWIUUzogs

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    edited October 2017
    Continuing the "Bonus" theme:

TARGETED PRACTICING Guitar lesson with Tom Quayle/Pete Thorn GuitCon 2017

"Pete sat down with Tom Quayle and asked him for some simple tips on practicing. Tom shows us how to get results by focusing on a singular thing.. let's call it "targeted practicing"... follow this method and you can walk away from each practice session knowing you've definitely improved your guitar playing! He also offers some great tips on "breaking out of the box" and improvising.. how to see the fretboard in a more musical way. Enjoy!"

Duration 

https: //www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUJhD-qCWoM

• Tom Quayle meets Pete Thorn - Guitcon 2017

Duration 56:55

https: //www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gj4C_vILBhI

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    Guitcon=Guitcoin
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    @CHRISB50 I think he's just a fan wanting to share with other fans, man.
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4290
    edited November 2017
    DLM said:

I know @DLM

ChrisMusic is what Sambostar would be like, if he actually posted anything to do with guitars.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

edited November 2017
    CHRISB50 said:
    Do you have shares in Pete Thorn Inc. (or YouTube) ?
    So you clicked on a thread entitled  Pete Thorn ~ Q&A

So what exactly were you expecting ?     :-O

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• CHRISB50 said:
    DLM said:

ChrisMusic is what Sambostar would be like, if he actually posted anything to do with guitars.

And what did poor Sambostar do to deserve this brutal treatment ???    ;)

• DLM said:
    Thanks for depping in my corner @DLM , much appreciated.  :)

It comes to something when you have to point out the blindingly bleeding obvious to some folks on here.  The tone of this place seems to be changing of late, and not for the better IMO, unfortunately   :-??

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    disclaimer:

This thread, and others, are posted for the greater benefit of the community on here, pure and simple.

I do hope most folks on here have enjoyed the generosity with which Pete Thorn shares so muck pro insight.  Few will be privileged enough to have his success, either on the road, or indeed in YouTube land.  Picking up tricks and tips this way is great, and so much less painful than struggling through years in the music business (ask me how I know).

Anyone who is pro on here will hopefully appreciate a different perspective on some of the issues discussed.

That's why I have also broadened the thread to include Phil X, Tom Quale and probably some other too.

Still, how heavily trafficked this thread has been shows that it must have hit a chord with some folks on here !
     ~ pun intended  

edited November 2017

57Deluxe said:
    Guitcon=Guitcoin
    You probably have a point there.

It is however a pretty good convention, I hope it continues.  Henning Pauly has gone up in my estimation (not exactly a difficult task!), and certainly deserves a reprieve for putting this together IMO  (and deserves a bit of coin for his efforts too?)

CHRISB50 said:

I expected Pete Thorn videos, but I'm also allowed to ask questions. This is a discussion forum after all. 

As all you seem to post is Pete Thorn videos, it was a genuine question, if you had any connection with the guy.

Why get upset? As you seem to have done. Just answer the question, that's all that's needed. 

I compared you to Sambostar as all he does is post video clips too. His tend to be more WASP based though. 

@CHRISB50 Sambostar is a wealth of gardening knowledge, man! :sunglasses: I'm perfectly serious, do some searches! :)

Anyway, I was thinking about Thorn's squint last night. @ChrisMusic, what do you know about it? My mom has a squint, but it's not as bad as Pete's. Is his vision affected? Has he even addressed it? It kinda surprises me, to be honest, that in picture-perfect America a guy with a squint gets hired for all these high-profile gigs in such an image-focused industry. It's a pleasant surprise. :) I mean, I just heard how Josh Smith lost a gig because the other guy auditioning had a mohawk, and he obviously didn't. :lol:
    DLM said:
    @CHRISB50 Sambostar is a wealth of gardening knowledge, man! sunglasses I'm perfectly serious, do some searches!

Anyway, I was thinking about Thorn's squint last night. @ChrisMusic, what do you know about it? My mom has a squint, but it's not as bad as Pete's. Is his vision affected? Has he even addressed it? It kinda surprises me, to be honest, that in picture-perfect America a guy with a squint gets hired for all these high-profile gigs in such an image-focused industry. It's a pleasant surprise. I mean, I just heard how Josh Smith lost a gig because the other guy auditioning had a mohawk, and he obviously didn't. lol
    I have zero requirement for gardening knowledge, but I'll take your word for it. 

• DLM said:
    CHRISB50 Sambostar is a wealth of gardening knowledge, man! :sunglasses: I'm perfectly serious, do some searches! :)
    And Transit tippers too, if memory serves correctly...

• DLM said:
    I mean, I just heard how Josh Smith lost a gig because the other guy auditioning had a mohawk, and he obviously didn't. :lol:
    Josh Smith with a mohawk, now that's a mind's eye vision I can't un-see !

I always felt that the music is the most important thing, choose the musician on merit, for what they bring to the music.  Also to the delivery, are they professional and easy to get on with on the road or in the studio (Prima Donnas stifle creativity IMO).  Often the music biz seems to disagree with that point of view, unfortunately, so no change there then.

We live in a short term, image obsessed world.  Maybe the other guy fitted the band better, but that does sound like another triumph of style over substance !

As to Pete, he certainly seems to do the "hair thing" to suit the gig.  On your other point, isn't that what is know as a "lazy eye" ?  I had barely noticed it since first seeing him, just part of what makes Pete, Pete I guess.  I would very happily work with him, nice guy, great musician, and with a great work ethic too.

I went out with a girl with a "lazy eye" many moons ago.   I thought it was kinda cute, and so was she, except I was never sure whether she was looking lovingly at me, or eyeing up someone else over my shoulder  ;)

• @CHRISB50 said:
    CHRISB50 said:

I expected Pete Thorn videos, but I'm also allowed to ask questions. This is a discussion forum after all. 
    Good point.   Questions and discussion are always welcome  :)

Actually I am somewhat surprised that there is not more discussion here.  There are a myriad varied topics covered in the videos, many of which could easily spark off their own discussion, so I am a little disappointed that there is not more activity on here.  It would be interesting to gather more ideas and perspectives from the experience of the good people of theFretBoard.

Maybe that lack of discussion is a tribute to the completeness with which Pete covers the topics ?

For my own part, I think he encompasses much of what I would say, and so much more besides, that's why I've left the talking up to him.  Having come back to playing after many years away from music and the business, I can relate to much of what he says, which is nice, but there is so much more, so much has remained the same and yet so much has changed.

This thread represents many hours of my life both watching, and then posting the videos, gathered in one place with related content, to make a useful resource for the forum.   Speaking personally, I've learnt a lot from watching them, and enjoyed the experience, so I thought I would share with anyone who felt the same.

edited November 2017

Another "bonus" for y'all, and it is a seriously big bonus at that, great video, enjoy !

Jason McNamara hangs with Tom Quayle the mezmerizing Guitarist at GuitCon 2017

"If you love a musician who's worked hard to get to where they are & really knows stuff, then Tom Quayle will blow you away. He's so close to being at Guthrie Govan's level it's not funny. On top of that he's a complete gentleman. I believe guitarists & all other musicians will enjoy this one." ~ Jason McNamara."

Duration 33:26

https: //www.youtube.com/watch?v=05FrY7k6Kgw

Yes, I've heard the squint referred to as a "lazy eye", too.

He's had what I can only term some really crap hair dos recently, not sure what was riding him there, they didn't suit him at all.

DLM said:
    I mean, I just heard how Josh Smith lost a gig because the other guy auditioning had a mohawk, and he obviously didn't. :lol:
    Josh Smith with a mohawk, now that's a mind's eye vision I can't un-see !

Heh. I think that gig was for Kelly Osbourne's band which would have been a waste of his playing IMHO.

ChrisMusic said:
    Actually I am somewhat surprised that there is not more discussion here.  There are a myriad varied topics covered in the videos, many of which could easily spark off their own discussion, so I am a little disappointed that there is not more activity on here.  It would be interesting to gather more ideas and perspectives from the experience of the good people of theFretBoard.
    Yeah, me too. But that doesn't seem to work so well. :(