Merseyside Guitar Show - Sunday 26th Nov - Aintree Race Course

guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14034
edited November 2017 in Events tFB Trader
http://www.guitarshows.co.uk/ARPages/Merseyside.html for more info

Thomas Blug making an appearance with his band

Free on site parking - 1000's of new/used guitars, plus amps, pedals, parts etc on display - Along with the Manchester Show at Haydock Park, this is the largest table top guitar show in the UK
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• That's a lot of guitars in one place. What's the form at these shows Mark? Can you turn up with a case under your arm and do part ex deals for instance?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14034
    tFB Trader
    That's a lot of guitars in one place. What's the form at these shows Mark? Can you turn up with a case under your arm and do part ex deals for instance?
    You can take  a guitar in - they will give yo a tag at reception for it for security reasons - you can put a 'For Sale' sign on it and who knows, 'punters' might ask and/or dealers - yes you can trade as required - any questions just ask
  • pruddprudd Frets: 653
    That's a lot of guitars in one place. What's the form at these shows Mark? Can you turn up with a case under your arm and do part ex deals for instance?
    You can take  a guitar in - they will give yo a tag at reception for it for security reasons - you can put a 'For Sale' sign on it and who knows, 'punters' might ask and/or dealers - yes you can trade as required - any questions just ask
    This made me grin, I remember some years back ,when I was fortunate enough to live in glorious Cheshire, going to the show and strolling in with a guitar under my arm not realising you had to get it tagged, didnt manage to do a deal with it and had a terribly hard time when leaving the show trying to convince security that I had not nicked it :)
  • Dan_QDan_Q Frets: 5
    edited November 2017
    Ha ha yes they are good for that! I have felt a little awkward even though I’ve had a receipt in the past
  • Dan_QDan_Q Frets: 5
    It appears I cannot make the aintree one this year  :'( enjoy folks, i'll have to wait until haydock next may ish time!
    tFB Trader
    any/many FB members attending this one
  • timhuliotimhulio Frets: 1286
    tFB Trader
    Yes, the London show was successful for me and I managed pretty well manning the stand on my own, so I'm driving up to Liverpool for this show. I'll have the full Fredric Effects range, a new BugCrusher pedal built under licence from BugBrand, and the Cloak Audio Jackdaw.
  • steersteer Frets: 1160
    edited November 2017
    I hope to get there. 

I also hope to get back into my house afterwards without Mrs Steer noticing a nice shiny new guitar under my arm. 
    edited November 2017 tFB Trader
    At the show, ready to go.  

tFB Trader
     yup
  • Nice to speak to @guitars4you and @timhulio today. So, What was everyone’s thought of the show? Some nice gear knocking around but mostly I was surprised at the number of fake Gibson and Fenders on offer. 
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4164
    edited November 2017
    • I was there with two pals. Seemed to be somewhat of a repeat of the Haydock one earlier this year.
    • No real bargains to be had, except maybe the stand selling Wampler/Strymon pedals at 10% off.
    • A pack of strings for £6? No thanks, I'll get them for £4 anywhere else.
    • In the end our posse didn't buy anything.
    • I was intrigued by the Fredric Effects pedals and will certainly be checking them out further.
    • Overall I'd give it a "meh".
    tFB Trader
    Philtre said:
    • I was there with two pals. Seemed to be somewhat of a repeat of the Haydock one earlier this year.
    • No real bargains to be had, except maybe the stand selling Wampler/Strymon pedals at 10% off.
    • A pack of strings for £6? No thanks, I'll get them for £4 anywhere else.
    • In the end our posse didn't buy anything.
    • I was intrigued by the Fredric Effects pedals and will certainly be checking them out further.
    • Overall I'd give it a "meh".
    it is pretty much a similar set-up to Haydock - same promoter/orgainser and as such pretty much a similar crowd of exhibitors

ref strings at £4 - taking black Friday deals out of the equation, as a matter of interest who now in the UK sells major brands like E ball, or D'addario at £4 a set - I thought those days had gone - our cost price has risen significantly in the last 2 years or so
    edited November 2017

ref strings at £4 - taking black Friday deals out of the equation, as a matter of interest who now in the UK sells major brands like E ball, or D'addario at £4 a set - I thought those days had gone - our cost price has risen significantly in the last 2 years or so
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DAddario-EXL110-Electric-Guitar-Strings-10-46-Regular-Light-Gauge/302535197733?epid=16008271650&hash=item467080c425:g:XgQAAOSwGwlZ96ex

And, yes, they are genuine as I have some and checked the s/n

And it might be nice for some folks to sell a 3-pack for something south of £16. LIke this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ernie-Ball-Super-Slinky-Electric-Guitar-Strings-3-Sets-FREE-UK-Shipping/322898291354?hash=item4b2e3cea9a:g:c4cAAOSwe09Z8hBw

tFB Trader
    Philtre said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DAddario-EXL110-Electric-Guitar-Strings-10-46-Regular-Light-Gauge/302535197733?epid=16008271650&hash=item467080c425:g:XgQAAOSwGwlZ96ex

And, yes, they are genuine as I have some and checked the s/n

And it might be nice for some folks to sell a 3-pack for something south of £16.

can't argue with the link and price - doesn't appear to be a shop so don't know how he/they are doing it especially with postage foc

ref D'addario 3D sets under £16 - even Amazon prime is £14.74 plus postage on orders under £20 - not sure if the sub £16 was a dig at me, but I checked other prices during the day and didn't see any less than £16, certainly not with any depth of stock - might be the odd stand with a few token sets - I recall only a couple of years ago I was able to do them for £12 for 3 sets at shows, but trade prices have gone up so much that those days have long gone

I've seen £12.10 on line for 3 sets + p&P so effectively £17.05

With respect I've never claimed to be the cheapest but certainly competitive on prices at the shows - considering I still have to pay vat and hopefully allowed to make some profit
    edited November 2017
    Not aimed at you. It was just meant as an indicator of prices.

To take strings as an example, what I would have liked to have seen was something like "Special Aintree Day! Buy 3 packs and we'll throw in a fourth!" Or, "Welcome to Aintree Happy Hour! All leads are £2 off for the next hour"....or at least anything that might make me think that a 2 hour journey and a £7 entrance fee was worth it rather than staying at home and ordering from ebay. A show like this should be seen as an opportunity to shift stock, cover expenses, and get new customers!

As it is, I won't be going to another one. Sorry.
  • hasslehamhassleham Frets: 598
    edited November 2017
    @Philtre ;;
    An opportunity to shift stock, cover expenses and get new customers?

Sounds worryingly like playing a gig for exposure to me!
    @hassleham Nope, not meant to suggest that at all. Merely my 2 cents on how I felt about the show.
  • steersteer Frets: 1160
    I couln't see any bargains and came away empty handed. Some interesting stuff on show though, but nothing to make me want to part with my hard earned cash. Some of the pricing was slightly surprising. I know people are trying to earn a\ crust, but I'm sure one or two stands would not have shifted anything all day withe the prices they were asking.

Good to see so many small independant makers there showing off their stuff.
    tFB Trader
    I had a really enjoyable show. Probably the busiest show I've done so far, and everyone who dropped-by the stand was friendly and enthusiastic. Unfortunately, like the London show I was unable to properly check out all the other exhibitors as I was flying solo. Probably just as well as I don't need more guitars... well, just one!