Exorcising my Demons!!!

What's Hot
Hello everyone, 

I recently reached out to my local Guitar Guitar store, asking them if they knew of any "Open House" Jam sessions that I could start attending ?  They said it was a good idea and they were surprised nobody was doing it already...   Flattering, but not quite what I was looking for.  They did however tell me about this glorious website of which I am a now a proud "newbie" 

Having spent most of this week trying to get my own profile photo added (Clearly I'm not Bill Gates) I have been reading some of the many introductions from the various other new joiners & to me its clear that the vast majority of us are simply looking for the same thing...   To feel comfortable & confident enough to get up and do in front of others what we no doubt do every day on our own in the safety of our Man/Woman Caves... 

I have been attempting just such an endeavour with a colleague from work.  He lives very local to me and we have rented a small hall two or three times - It's been great to do BUT...   at the end of the day its only the two of us & work commitments make it difficult to maintain consistency so...

In an ideal world I would like to create (or be a part of) something a bit bigger.  Not two people, but five, or seven, or ten or more...  An open house that runs every week. A regular event, where people can get over their palm sweating, chord/strum forgetting, voice losing, butt clenching fear of playing in front of others - strangers or otherwise.  

As my profile suggests I am in Wimbledon.  I figure there must be a hall or scout hut or some kind of venue that would be available for a night during the week (assuming of course Fri-Sun is family or whatever time) for a couple of hours...
I suppose in an ideal world the night could be changed if required or even for a period during a Sat/Sun if required.
I see a situation where people become regulars, get to know one another and once we're all past the point of being convinced
that everyone else is "so much better than I am" we might actually start to enjoy ourselves and learn something from each other.

Take me for example... I'm 42 years of age and I've been working in the city since I was knee high (almost).  There's this guy who busks outside my local train station every Friday & I have to say he's very impressive !!!  Now every time I walk past this guy all I can think about is that one day when I'm good enough (read Brave enough) I'm gonna join him for a day... He can keep the cash, I just want to stand there and enjoy playing !!!!     

Anyway, This is why I've joined this website. To find others who are looking for the same thing as me.  Very few people want
to be Keith Richards (except deep, deep down where they really, actually do want to be Keith Richards) They just want to be able to get past their nerves and play the way others do.  To be able to enjoy what they've learned and not be held back by themselves.  In short, to jump from the Top Board.

So to sum up.  If you are in the area or near the area or can travel or have the ideal situation somewhere in between then hit me up and we can have a chat.  If nothing else, then thanks for reading to the end at least.

Regards
Wazzer

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I'm going to be organising a southern FB Jam for early next year pretty soon (see Leicester and Northern Jams for reference)

Interested?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Morning, absolutely, without question - I shall keep an eye out for any announcements/updates you put up - Thanks

However, still keen to start something more regular, so come on people - don't be shy 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 619
    Hi Wazzer I`m only down the road in Epsom and will be more than interested, can drag my jam buddy along too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26752
    I'm not even in the country but I've given you a wis for the Keef thing :D 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • WazzerWazzer Frets: 4
    Tone71, thanks for replying and sorry for the delay in coming back to you...   of course you & your jam buddy are more than welcome.  This is where I am currently...

I am aiming to hold this gathering once every two weeks and ideally on a Friday evening (its the only night my friend and I can guarantee work commitments won't overrun past 5pm), I'm thinking either 90 mins or 2 hours duration from say 7:30 pm-ish (give everyone a chance to get home, fed etc etc) 

I am also still on the hunt for a suitable venue - I thought I had the perfect room in Raynes Park Library: A/C, parking, reasonable rates, carpets & plug sockets in the middle of the floor..  "IDEAL" but all the flats above have old residents, so the manager was unfortunately not willing to risk it..   Shame, but what can I do..

Anyway, onwards & upwards.  I have several other places to look at...   There's a newly re-furbed hall in between Wimbledon & Raynes park, also there are 2 other churches with halls for hire & there is Wimbledon Library so plenty to look at.  I'm off work N.Week with my boys for half term so I am confident that I'll have a place sorted by end of Next week for sure and all being well the first jam session will be sorted for Fri 27th (can't do 20th as I'm in away for weekend)

Ps: Think I've secured a bass player - again someone keen to escape their man cave & take the plunge..   he reckons he knows a drummer...   hence my search for somewhere with parking & without neighbours...

So all being well there could be 6 for our first outing - Most respectable..    Keep an eye on the chat mate, I'll be in touch

And thanks again for stepping up, much appreciated.

Rgds,
    Wazzer

And to "stickyfiddle" - thanks for the thumbs up !!!!
    edited November 2017

Good morning all, finally I have made some progress...

Tone71 - I have managed to secure a suitable venue for a regular "Jam night"  We have been given access to one of the rooms in the Lantern Arts Centre in Raynes Park.  It's a pretty good venue, the rooms/location are decent enough (stones throw from Raynes park station & buses) and its not too toppy: £25 p/h

https://www.lanternarts.org/

Firstly, I'm sorry its taken so long to sort out - believe me when I say people work at their own pace (and in some cases that is literally glacial).  Secondly I have been given a date for our first night:

FRIDAY 12th JANUARY 2018  (Aiming for 2 hours 7:30pm - 9:30pm)

The reason it so far away is because we are now in Panto season & everywhere is choca block with "Look behind you" & "Oh no it isn't"...   on the flip side it gives us all plenty of notice to ensure we can make the date & perhaps work out what we can/will actually do on the evening in question.

And so with all that in mind I booked this date as a trail evening for us, to see how it goes. Also as it will be the Maiden evening & this was my idea, I am going to wear the cost of the hall for the first night - if it works and we decide to make it a more regular thing - as I hope we do - we can sort out the details going forward.   

So, all things remaining equal, we are on mate & I hope you and your jam buddy are still keen to come along.  As I mentioned in my previous post there should be six of us unless other people here read this and decide to have a go (which would be great obviously)

As for anyone reading &/or contemplating showing up, Intro yourself on this msg chain and I’ll be in touch. 

Thanks & Regards
    Wazzer 

• Tone71Tone71 Frets: 619
    Good work Wazzer, count me in.....PM sent
  • @Wazzer I have a semi regular jam night, at our local practice rooms / studios. Given that you're after Fridays, most of the gigging bands that usually use them are out gigging on a Friday so they tend to have space. Just wondered if you'd actually checked this out? We pay £8 to £10 an hour for rooms with a full backline so much easier to organise than having to set up yourself, this includes mics and PA plus a sound proofed room. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • TheOtherDennisTheOtherDennis Frets: 2010
    edited November 2017
    Wazzer said:

Very few people want
    to be Keith Richards (except deep, deep down where they really, actually do want to be Keith Richards)
    Personally, I'd rather be Ronnie Wood, the rhythm guy in the background giving the bass and drums some oomph and letting the big ego one get out front and do all the posing.

Shame I'm nowhere near you, I'd happily jump on board too.
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
  • Hi Legionreturns,

I have chosen the venue above due to its location (travel links) & lack of neighbours above.  I am however only booked in for one trial evening in Jan with a view to making it a permanent fixture if all goes well for everyone. 

The description & price of your venue certainly appeals... can I ask you where it is ?
  • TheOtherDennis,

In truth sir, I'd happily be either considering they no doubt both play far better than I ever will.....

• LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    edited November 2017
    Wazzer said:
    Hi Legionreturns,

I have chosen the venue above due to its location (travel links) & lack of neighbours above.  I am however only booked in for one trial evening in Jan with a view to making it a permanent fixture if all goes well for everyone. 

The description & price of your venue certainly appeals... can I ask you where it is ?
    The place we use is in Newcastle so no use to you, but there are hundreds of practice rooms around the country offering the same facilities. 

I just did a quick search and this one came up locally to you:  

http://www.sw-19.net

They appear to have two big rooms, which I'd expect to be more expensive than ours as the one we use is primarily designed for a 4 or 5 piece band, but split several ways I'm sure it would be religiously affordable and give you all the same benefits. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27344
    edited November 2017
    @MikeDearing ;;
    @FelineGuitars ;;
    @hubobulous ;;

I know that Wimbledon isn't exactly your main stomping ground, but it's all South of the river 

Are you aware of any regular jam nights or like minded peeps that might be relevant for this?
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • Oooo, could be interesting. Only 4 mins on the train for me, or a 20min drive. Hmmmm
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    There are Jam nights around the Sutton/Carshalton area and Robin Bibi used to organise them and there's even one in Raynes Park at The Cavern and it looks like it's a regular thing every Thursday - http://www.thecavernfreehouse.co.uk/what-s-on.html

Good luck with your own night

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11496
    tFB Trader
    I was going to say the Cavern . We have a couple over here in Croydon I think , but not sure of the dates

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

•  I do go to the Thursday night Jam night at the Cavern, however the truth of the matter is that the people who play on that evening (or indeed any evening at the Cavern for that matter) are all REALLY, REALLY, REALLY GOOD !!!!

As I mentioned on my first post I'm trying to set up a "stepping stone" group if you will, for people who like the idea, but don't yet have either the balls (excuse my French) or - in their eyes - the talent.  I obviously include myself in those camps

The plan is that the regular night I am hoping to get off the ground is for people who want to build up their courage/experience of playing with others.

In theory, Simples...  

BTW, the Cavern is an excellent live music venue-  a real mecca & I recommend it to anyone.  The acts are off the clock

• DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3261
    edited November 2017 tFB Trader
    Hi Wazzer this is definitely something I'd be interested in and only live 10mins from Raynes park if i can get down grand drive that is

I normally pick my misses up on a Friday at 7.30 if i can get this sorted out I'd come along if there's enough room, might even bring an amp if I'm brave enough

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • Hi "customkits"  Apologies for not coming back sooner, been a dog of a week !!!!    of course sir you are more than welcome - I'll shoot you a personal message And you can give me a call later on yeah ?