Gardenback

3 tracks from my son's band "Gardenback"

Along with many others, I got Scammed by J Collingridge 'Award Winning' Photographer. Full details about his behaviour on this and other forums can be found on this thread. If you have been Scammed by J Collingridge 'Award Winning' Photographer, let us know and even if you haven't, putting a similar message in your own signature will help us warn others.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14321
    A distinct P.i.L. Metal Box period vibe, especially on Bulldogs. The processing on the guitar makes it sound like the aluminium Veleno thing that Keith Levene used for a while. The drummer cocks up royally at 0:30 on Call It A Phase. I cannot comment on the bass guitar because the mix buries it.

Be seeing you.
  • ellangusellangus Frets: 250
    edited November 2017
    Thanks for the comments @Funkfingers ;; P.i.L was the first thing I thought when I heard Bulldogs too!  I think it's the vocal more than anything.
    Out of interest, what are you listening on as I hear the bass loud and clear, quite prominent in fact?

Thanks again.

Along with many others, I got Scammed by J Collingridge 'Award Winning' Photographer. Full details about his behaviour on this and other forums can be found on this thread. If you have been Scammed by J Collingridge 'Award Winning' Photographer, let us know and even if you haven't, putting a similar message in your own signature will help us warn others.
    ellangus said:
    Out of interest, what are you listening on?
    Laptop built-in loudspeakers and at modest sound pressure levels.

Trying again now in AKG HD205 headphones (nothing special!).

My bass audibility complaint is worse on Sleepless and Call It A Phase. Things come across more clearly on Bulldogs. TBH, the issue may be more to do with the song arrangements. There might be too much competition for the upper mid range frequency bands and a general lack of "pocket" from the rhythm section. 

If you have access to the original multi-track recording, play it back with the guitars muted. 

The song credits name three writers without stating who plays which instrument. If I had to guess, I would say that the guitarist called the shots at the mixing session.
    Be seeing you.
    Thanks for your comments - I'll pass them on.

I don't have access to the original tracks and couldn't really say who had more or less say in the mixing but I think they're all pretty democratic along with  a certain amount of guidance form Jamie (engineer) at the studio.

Cheers
  • Had a quick listen. I like it! A little quirky which is good.

The recording is perhaps a little thin sounding but I can hear everything clearly. The guitars are perhaps a touch prominent. More so on call it phase. 

• They’re very good - I agree a bit PiL-like - but I like PiL....
    edited November 2017
    Thanks for that @richardhomer :
    I see you're in Manchester.

Absolutely no obligation but If you're interested (or anybody else for that matter):

http://gardenback.co.uk/gigs/

See below.

ellangus said:
    the bass ... quite prominent
    I had another listen. One of the things that makes the bass guitar prominent, nay, eerie, on all three recordings is the slightly out-of-tuneness.

I cannot decide whether this is:
    1) an intentional choice
    2) inaccurate intonation
    3) string issues - either too old or too new to be properly stretched in
    4) red light fever - nervous bassist squeezing down too hard to fret the strings.

This is not to say that these pitch variations are not making a positive contribution to the band sound. I am tempted to suggest fretless. If nothing else, this would quash any comparisons to P.i.L. (Few people today will remember Stump.)
    Be seeing you.
  • WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    Bulldog is a great track.
    Thank you @Wolfetone ;