Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Pay £340 for £419 Dawson's Music Store Credit

What's Hot
ac_ac_ Frets: 8
edited November 2017 in Misc £
Hey, I just bought a Strymon Timeline a couple of days ago from a Dawson's shop to replace some gear that was stolen.

Luckily the stolen delay unit was returned but unfortunately, Dawson's don't do returns and there's nothing they sell that's useful to me.

Hoping to get my money back somehow. Any help is appreciated, thanks!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Sell it on here 
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4164
    edited November 2017
    Sell it
  • Sell the strymon. You’ll lose about £20
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Really sorry that you've lost out.

Part of me thinks Dawson's should be more helpful on this, but rules are rules (i guess...) 

I'm too skint to help, but good luck getting it sorted 
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6084
    Did you actually go into the shop to buy it? If you bought it online you can return it under the regs of the Distance Selling Act.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • ac_ac_ Frets: 8
    Yeah I bought in store and paid in cash.

I'd tried to check their returns policy on their website but it only gave details for online purchases which is a pretty decent returns policy.

Turns out in-store they absolutely refuse to do returns. Only exchange or store credit.
  • markjmarkj Frets: 910
    I got a full refund earlier in the year on a Yamaha THR 10. 
    markj said:
    I got a full refund earlier in the year on a Yamaha THR 10. 
    From an instore purchase? They told me explicitly it's company policy not to provide refunds if it's not an online purchase.
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2014
    I got a cash return on an amp earlier this year. Unless policy has changed very recently, I'd ask to speak to the manager. 
  • Dawson’s also told me it was store policy when buying and wanting to return a midi cable, it’s the reason why Dawsons staple a t&cs leaflet to your receipt. I argued that the policy was not obvious at the time of purchase, and stapling a contract to a receipt after the payment had gone through was not exactly fair. I asked to speak to the manager and he eventually refunded me. 

The trouble is, from a legal standpoint, and unlike things bought online, buyers don’t have an automatic right to refunds and it’s down to the discretion of the store. 

• As a buyer, it doesn't look great on Dawsons though...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 681
    The trick would be to say you were advised incorrectly, so its not fit for purpose, then you can argue them under the Sale of Goods act. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited November 2017
    I've been to Dawson's 3 times + spoke to head office on the phone twice.

They were pretty adamant / I spoke to the manager every time about it and got the same answer, no refunds.

I didn't get a T&C stapled to the receipt but yeah majorscale is right, I don't have an automatic right to a refund. 

Their instore return policy (or lack thereof), is written in an obtuse way and definitely seems designed to trick buyers.

Especially with all the returns info on their site claiming they offer returns. Very annoying.
  • That's a shame. Your experience will likely steer me away from them for future business.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Yep, they are local to me and I won't be using them if they act like this.
    Updated price
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Great deal though!

• MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1553
    edited November 2017
    I agree with @Wazmeister, their rigid policy doesn't make Dawsons look good at all, and like others on this thread, my Dawsons store experience has steered me away from them, and all because of a relatively cheap cable. Guitar Village and Andertons have seen thousands of my pounds since even though they are further away.

@ac_ if you use twitter you should tweet them a link to this thread!
  • Dawson’s have always been like this. Our singer changed his mind on an acoustic before he even left the shop after buying it, and still, credit note. Awful awful company policy but totally legal. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4164
    Dawson's. Ugh. Always buy online now.