Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Micing your amp - what microphone?

What's Hot

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10647
    This is a revelation to me. Can't wait to get one. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Same price near enough now as when I bought mine in late 80's early 90's. 
    Same price near enough now as when I bought mine in late 80's early 90's. 
    Right Taffster I've gone with your recommendation - can't wait!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • Just remember, you can only use one scale or it self destructs! 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Just remember, you can only use one scale or it self destructs! 
    If I find it can only do major pentatonic I shall be extremely cross. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16254
    Looking forward to the outcome of this  =)
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    Me too!
  • Peavey EDI box all you need. As good as any mic in the mix without any of the drawbacks. 
    Used mine first time in ages tonight and have to agree with Taff...
  • firepaulmusic said
     have to agree with Taff...
    I just like that bit! 
  • firepaulmusic said
     have to agree with Taff...
    I just like that bit! 
    Won't happen again.....
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71961
    Peavey EDI box all you need. As good as any mic in the mix without any of the drawbacks. 
    Used mine first time in ages tonight and have to agree with Taff…
    Can you do me a small favour, if you use pedals?

See if there's enough level going direct from a pedal into the EDI to get a usable signal without too much background noise in the PA.

That would be very useful for reference, knowing that it can be used as an emergency amp-bypass in the same way that the Red Box can. (The Red Box has a dedicated line input.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• ICBM said:
    Peavey EDI box all you need. As good as any mic in the mix without any of the drawbacks. 
    Used mine first time in ages tonight and have to agree with Taff…
    Can you do me a small favour, if you use pedals?

See if there's enough level going direct from a pedal into the EDI to get a usable signal without too much background noise in the PA.

That would be very useful for reference, knowing that it can be used as an emergency amp-bypass in the same way that the Red Box can. (The Red Box has a dedicated line input.)

Will have a go soon, be interesting to find out.
    Thanks because I can't seem to get a peavey. Everywhere says they're out of stock
  • I use a Sequis Motherload Elemental.  Good-sounding speaker sim, plus it's a load box so I can be lazy and choose not to take my cab to a rehearsal or small gig.
    Trading feedback | FS: Nothing right now
    JM build | Pedalboard plans
    Right. I got a Palmer. 
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1763
    viz said:
    Right. I got a Palmer. 
    That looks like a really interesting and useful DI box - how are you finding it @viz ?
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    It's ok-ish. It doesn't sound as good as my amp, but that's just because it's going through the PA amp and speakers, instead of to my V30s cab. 
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1763
    viz said:
    It's ok-ish. It doesn't sound as good as my amp, but that's just because it's going through the PA amp and speakers, instead of to my V30s cab. 
    Have you tried comparing it to the mic'd up sound?
    That sounds like the 'problem' with modelling, it gives you the mic'd up sound rather than the in-the-room sound.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • One that nobody has mentioned... Heil PR31. We tried a bunch of mics on my Divided by 13 in tech rehearsals earlier this year, and it was a clear winner. Compact too, and not hugely expensive!