Ukulele For A Noob

I'm musing on getting a ukulele for noodling and general farting about. Not keen on a soprano, and baritones seem to sound too much like a guitar (and are tuned lower). Is there much difference between a concert and tenor in terms of sound? How about scale length?

Any suggestions for a make? Brunswick seem to crop up a lot in the £60-70 range (presumably laminates).

Nomad
Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    Concert and tenor - I couldn't tell the difference in sound.

I bought a a variety of ukes - Mainland, Kala, Ohana, all very good but the one I kept was a Makala which is too cheap to sell but sounds great. I upgraded the tuners and installed a pickup, had it about seven years and it's still going well.

Compared to a guitar they are less interesting for noodling, but some strumming patterns and finger picking can sound great on them.
  • NomadNomad Frets: 549

Cheers, Fuengi. By noodling, I mean strummy/picky noodling rather than lead or solos, as such.

Off out to a music shop for a plink on some...

Nomad
    Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

• Fr3tFr3t Frets: 2
    I'd pick the concert. Any feedback on Kala ukulele? I'm planning to buy one for my kid for Christmas
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    Bought one for £20 for my son. Both daughters also have a go with it now. Perfectly acceptable quality
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14321
    Fr3t said:
    Any feedback on Kala ukulele?
    axisus said:
    Perfectly acceptable quality
    My nearest music shop majors on this brand. They sell well. Very few come back for attention. Even then, it is usually only to have a strap button fitted.

Be seeing you.
  • Chris_JChris_J Frets: 139
    I/my wife has a kala concert uke and it's great for the money, think it was about 100

My only niggle is the grain on the front doesn't run top to bottom, it's kinda on a slant. It doesn't help my ocd at all lol

• Chris_J said:
    I/my wife has a kala concert uke and it's great for the money, think it was about 100

My only niggle is the grain on the front doesn't run top to bottom, it's kinda on a slant. It doesn't help my ocd at all lol

Have you tried asking her to stand up straight? ;) 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you